British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Rest of the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/)
-   -   British citizenship for South African born child. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/british-citizenship-south-african-born-child-875291/)

Bonusmum Apr 3rd 2016 7:25 am

British citizenship for South African born child.

Hello!

My partner is British and has a daughter who was born in South Africa in 2010. She currently holds a South African passport. When she was born, my partner and his ex wife(South African) were advised that thier daughter could not have a British passport as she was born after a certain date.

We are exploring the possibility of K coming to live in the UK without mum for a while and wondered how we might do this. It seems quite difficult to gain any information from the South African side, so I'm starting research this side of the water.

mikelincs Apr 3rd 2016 8:03 am

Re: British citizenship for South African born child.

Originally Posted by Bonusmum (Post 11912244)
Hello!

My partner is British and has a daughter who was born in South Africa in 2010. She currently holds a South African passport. When she was born, my partner and his ex wife(South African) were advised that thier daughter could not have a British passport as she was born after a certain date.

We are exploring the possibility of K coming to live in the UK without mum for a while and wondered how we might do this. It seems quite difficult to gain any information from the South African side, so I'm starting research this side of the water.

If the mother was a British Citizen otherwise than by descent, then the daughter is ALREADY a British Citizen, and just needs to get a passport, who ever advised your partner was an idiot and got it totally wrong.

Bonusmum Apr 3rd 2016 8:12 am

I'm afraid mum is SA and dad (my partner) is British.

Does that change things?

MartynK Apr 3rd 2016 8:16 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11912259)
If the mother was a British Citizen otherwise than by descent, then the daughter is ALREADY a British Citizen, and just needs to get a passport, who ever advised your partner was an idiot and got it totally wrong.

The child's father is British, her mother is South African, per the OP's post. I don't know if this makes any difference. Both my kids were born in SA (1982 and 1985) but we are both British citizens.

mikelincs Apr 3rd 2016 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Bonusmum (Post 11912261)
I'm afraid mum is SA and dad (my partner) is British.

Does that change things?

Sorry, misread your first post, if you partner is British otherwise than by descent, then his daughter will already be a British Citizen and just needs to get a British Passport.

Bonusmum Apr 3rd 2016 8:51 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11912264)
Sorry, misread your first post, if you partner is British otherwise than by descent, then his daughter will already be a British Citizen and just needs to get a British Passport.

How do we prove she is a British citizen? Currently she holds a SA passport and we apply for visas every time she come to the UK. We were told when registering the birth in Pretoria that she couldn't be British as the laws had changed some time in the 80's.

It would be amazing if we could just apply for a British passport for her!

Novocastrian Apr 3rd 2016 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Bonusmum (Post 11912279)
How do we prove she is a British citizen? Currently she holds a SA passport and we apply for visas every time she come to the UK. We were told when registering the birth in Pretoria that she couldn't be British as the laws had changed some time in the 80's.

It would be amazing if we could just apply for a British passport for her!

You haven't answered the critical question. Was the child's father born in the UK?

Bonusmum Apr 3rd 2016 9:44 am

I'm sorry. I thought I said originally that he is British. Should have been clearer...born in UK, whole family born in UK.

Novocastrian Apr 3rd 2016 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Bonusmum (Post 11912309)
I'm sorry. I thought I said originally that he is British. Should have been clearer...born in UK, whole family born in UK.

Then his daughter is already a UK citizen by descent. Apply for her British passport. Job's a good'un.

Bonusmum Apr 3rd 2016 9:53 am

Really?! How exciting. So I presume we need her full birth cert, thier marriage cert and partners birth cert?

How strange that they were told the law has changed and because K was born in 2010, she couldn't have an English passport.

mikelincs Apr 3rd 2016 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Bonusmum (Post 11912315)
Really?! How exciting. So I presume we need her full birth cert, thier marriage cert and partners birth cert?

How strange that they were told the law has changed and because K was born in 2010, she couldn't have an English passport.

Whoever told you that is an idiot,

Bonusmum Apr 3rd 2016 10:07 am

Thank you so much everyone. This is very exciting and makes life a whole lot easier!

BritInParis Apr 3rd 2016 10:26 am

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

scot47 Apr 3rd 2016 4:53 pm

Bonusmum, they are not issuing English passports yet. Maybe one day ! The passport will say "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".