Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Bermuda - Whats your opinion?

Bermuda - Whats your opinion?

Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

tonyisward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bermuda - Whats your opinion?

Hello...I've just accepted a job in bermuda and will be earning $65000 in the first year. I'm from te UK, 29 and single! I get hospital accom. for $700 for the first 6 months.

I would a good socail life and save money...is this possible?

Once I get my work permit will I be able to get bar work also?

Why is the expats community so expensive to be a part of?

Look forward to your response.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:00 am
Just Joined

joliwasfi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyisward
Hello...I've just accepted a job in bermuda and will be earning $65000 in the first year. I'm from te UK, 29 and single! I get hospital accom. for $700 for the first 6 months.

I would a good socail life and save money...is this possible?

Once I get my work permit will I be able to get bar work also?

Why is the expats community so expensive to be a part of?

Look forward to your response.

Having a good social life depends on you more than anything. Would $65k be sufficient to allow you a good social life ? In my opinion yes. Would you save money on $65k - you can but don't expect to save a LOT of money - unless your accomodation is paid for, which it seems you are only paying $700 a month to start. Just don't expect to get that type of deal when your paid accom runs out.

Re getting work in bars as well the answer to this is almost unquestionably going to be NO. Your work permit only allows you to carry out the job that you applied for the permit for. You can apply to be permitted to have a secondary job but there are plenty of Bermudians looking for bar work anyway so it is very unlikely that you will be able to get bar work too.

It isn't just the ex-pat community that is expensive - the whole of Bermuda is expensive to live in. It is a price you pay for low income taxes - consumables are much higher in cost. Plus when there is much affluence (as there is in Bermuda) then that too will drive prices up.

One thing I would say about coming here as a single male (I am assuming that you are male) is that I have a lot of single male friends who often complain that there are VERY FEW options for females on the island - assuming that you are looking for females for romance.....
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:25 am
Just Joined

tonyisward is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers joliwasfi...great advice! I'm sure I will be able budget once I get use to the way of life over there.

Oh yes...Yes I am male...

Thanks again!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

I was very lucky when I worked over there on construction of the Southampton Princess Hotel. Compared to wages in the UK I was on film star salary; it was all tax free; and everything was paid for by the company re food, accommodation; and they even threw in a free moped. To be honest; I would have worked there for nothing as it was such a magic place. Just found it a wee bit hard going to work at 6-30am when the night life meant we didn't get back home to Somerset until 2-00 or 3-00am......... and that wasn't just at weekends. Being single in those days was a blast. From memory I think the whole island was only 20 miles long and 1 mile wide or thereabouts in its widest part. Magic times indeed. Is there anyone else on BE who worked on the Southampton Princess Hotel project?