Reload this Page >

mixed race family - need help choosing country

mixed race family - need help choosing country

Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

vickyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question mixed race family - need help choosing country

hi there,

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible - but i'm hoping i'll be able to get some advice here - not sure where else to go.

We are a young British couple with 2 young children looking for a country to escape to (in the next few years). As many people, we are looking for somewhere low on crime, decent education and importantly for us - somewhere we can live happily as a mixed race family. I'm white/British husband is Asian(south)/British. Ideally somewhere we can meet other young families.

Originally we looked in Melbourne and Vancouver....they are still possibilities but i'm not prepared to pursue until i've covered all my options. Ideally i dont want to move from one big city in the uk to another elsewhere and face the same problems that we do here - eg anti-social behaviour, pollution etc.

We've recently looked into buying in Goa (thought it my help that husband speaks the language) but have been very put off by the number of people having a nightmare purchasing proprty there.

A few of the threads here suggest Chile (which i'll look into)

My husband works in IT and we are both willing to learn a new language, new set of skills, whatever it takes to have a better quality of life than we do here.

Does anyone have any suggestions so that I can focus myself - i feel depressed at the thought that we are already living in the best place in the world??

Many thanks
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mixed race family - need help choosing country

Originally Posted by vickyc
hi there,

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible - but i'm hoping i'll be able to get some advice here - not sure where else to go.

We are a young British couple with 2 young children looking for a country to escape to (in the next few years). As many people, we are looking for somewhere low on crime, decent education and importantly for us - somewhere we can live happily as a mixed race family. I'm white/British husband is Asian(south)/British. Ideally somewhere we can meet other young families.

Originally we looked in Melbourne and Vancouver....they are still possibilities but i'm not prepared to pursue until i've covered all my options. Ideally i dont want to move from one big city in the uk to another elsewhere and face the same problems that we do here - eg anti-social behaviour, pollution etc.

We've recently looked into buying in Goa (thought it my help that husband speaks the language) but have been very put off by the number of people having a nightmare purchasing proprty there.

My husband works in IT and we are both willing to learn a new language, new set of skills, whatever it takes to have a better quality of life than we do here.

Does anyone have any suggestions so that I can focus myself - i feel depressed at the thought that we are already living in the best place in the world??

Many thanks

Every country has its own set of challenges and problems for the ex pat. If the perfect place has been found, then its not by most of the people on this forum

Take Spain .... the area I moved too appears to be fairly crime free, the Spanish people are friendly and the cost of living is good. However in areas not too far distant its a totally different story according to some!

Your question is just too huge to contemplate, as everyone here will suggest different countries for different reasons. I'm sure you just have to tailor it to your needs. Look on the different forums here and note the plusses and minusses and think how they will effect you. I don't think you're going to get your answer by asking other people who may or may not have totally different aims & requirements However you may get some suggestions that give food for thought

I'll start it off .... have you considered the old US of A? (Which of course will be shot down in flames immediately because of the crime issue)
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

vickyc is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you - i appreciate your honesty in my question being a huge one. I suppose i'm hoping that someone might suggest a place i've not yet considered or a family in the same situation would give me advice. I'll keep searching....
Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

monique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=vickyc;4962161]Originally we looked in Melbourne and Vancouver.../QUOTE]

Don't limit yourself to places with high Asian population, obviously you need to go where you'll feel comfortable, but don't let race narrow your choices. Chile & Canada both would be great choices. Good luck!.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickyc
hi there,

Many thanks
Vancouver looks to be a magic spot; but we only went there on a brief holiday stopover enroute to the UK from the Solomon Islands. Vancouver was very picturesque and the locals extremely friendly. Not too sure if I could endure their winters over there to be honest? The cold weather would wreak havoc on my arthritis!

We are a mixed race family and have lived happily here in Perth, Western Australia, since 1990. Actually; I wasn't even aware we are a mixed race family because it's something that doesn't even crop up. We have heaps of friends of many colours; and many nationalities. Parties at our place resemble something akin to a United Nations session.

My wife is from the Philippines, our three boys were all born in Papua New Guinea. At school the boys did get teased a little bit about the colour of their skin, nothing major......... kids will always be kids........ and they can be quite cruel at times. Now the kids are all grown up they often get mistaken for being big strong Maori boys and they think it's pretty cool. Kids used to call my eldest boy 'Paul Ince' at school. Although it wasn't meant as such; I told him to turn it into a compliment as Paul Ince was a dark skinned footballer and he had the honour of playing for England.

Perth is very cosmopolitan, race issues are something we have never really had to contend with other than for me being called a Pommie Bastard in the early days. We love it over here; a great life style; and a magic spot to bing children up.

Granted; it hasn't always been easy.......... but........ if you are prepared to work hard and mix in, the opportunities are endless. It will take a while to settle in over here. Although English is the official language spoken; the Australian version of English language does take a bit of getting used to. Not everyone's cup of tea over here, but, as far as we are concerned........ and we are well seasoned travelers. To us this is by far one of the best spots in the world! Good luck whatever you decide upon.