British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Rest of the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/)
-   -   Back in the Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/back-day-941543/)

morpeth Aug 16th 2022 6:11 am

Re: Back in the Day

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 13134932)
As I've mentioned before (#10 above, I think), it's a small world sometimes. Here's a story from 1963. As I stepped off the bus from Southampton, in Earl's Court on my first visit overseas, Graham was walking down the street and greeted me: "Hello Pablo!" (my nickname from school, which was the last time I'd seen him - eight years previous.) We hung around a bit in London that winter, then went our separate ways.

A year later, Linda and I were dragged out of a shop in Esfahan, Iran, to meet some other travel-bums, in another shop down the street, and there was Graham again. "Hello Pablo!" He had set out to hitch his way back to Australia, and met up with a Japanese fellow in Spain who was headed for Singapore on his way home. We all chatted away, much to the amusement of the Iranian audience, then took off again - we were headed south, they east. He ended up back in Brisbane as partner of the same accountancy firm as my brother, and we made contact again in 1985. Now we chat on the phone every few weeks, and reminisce about The Good Old Days. Next time, I must ask him what happened with the girlfriend he had during the winter of '63. If he remembers...

Often with the ease of transportation and communication the world seems smaller, however it seems in some respects bac in the 60s and 70s at least for the young such travels as you refer to more common. I went to school in Perth for a while and visiting Bali at least once popular and on to London. Some did it backpacking through Asia and Europe through countries today few would venture to do so. Not uncommonly in London in the 70s I would run across in Earl's Court fellows I had gone to school with. In the 90s I ran across a fellow in Spain running a small hotel and discovered in conversation we had gone to the same school at same time years before. I don't see many people seeking to hitch any more.

Gordon Barlow Aug 18th 2022 3:36 am

Linda and I shifted around quite a lot in our first eleven years of marriage, before we settled here in Cayman, and we rarely kept souvenirs from earlier days. Plenty of photos, of course, but not much else. One of the few things I have from earlier times is a print of a famous Picasso drawing of Don Quixote and his chum. That has hung on the wall above my bed everywhere I've lived, since I bought it for a pound at a bookshop in Copenhagen in 1964 when I was passing through. I'd actually seen it there the year before, but had been too poor (or stingy) to shell out what was at the time a day's budget.

It's very appropriate for me; I seem to have been tilting at windmills most of my life, one way or another. So has my son for much of his life, so I hope he will continue the reverence when I'm gone.

So. Any other BE members willing to betray their secret souvenirs, on this thread? Anonymity is guaranteed, remember! Go for it!

Gordon Barlow Aug 25th 2022 9:12 pm

We bought this house in 1997, and some of the things in it today were brought from the flat we'd moved out of. One of those things was a framed photo of a turtle - underwater, head-on - which our son had taken as a newly qualified scuba diver aged 13. It's on the wall above my recliner. In another room is another photo of his, from inside a sunken ship looking up the funnel through a school of silver fish. Both are great souvenirs from "back in the day". I guess we all have things like that, right?

morpeth Aug 26th 2022 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 13136924)
We bought this house in 1997, and some of the things in it today were brought from the flat we'd moved out of. One of those things was a framed photo of a turtle - underwater, head-on - which our son had taken as a newly qualified scuba diver aged 13. It's on the wall above my recliner. In another room is another photo of his, from inside a sunken ship looking up the funnel through a school of silver fish. Both are great souvenirs from "back in the day". I guess we all have things like that, right?

In 1967 my father took me to Egypt and we have the standard picture of being on two camels in front of the pyramids- and I have a picture of my father and a friend on two camels in the same location taken in 1947 - I have them framed side by side.

I had no idea my father spoke Arabic, we arrived at airport and jumped in a taxi and all of a sudden my father started speaking Arabic to the taxi driver, quite a surprise.

Gordon Barlow Aug 28th 2022 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 13136964)
In 1967 my father took me to Egypt and we have the standard picture of being on two camels in front of the pyramids- and I have a picture of my father and a friend on two camels in the same location taken in 1947 - I have them framed side by side.

I had no idea my father spoke Arabic, we arrived at airport and jumped in a taxi and all of a sudden my father started speaking Arabic to the taxi driver, quite a surprise.

Well, first: what a great memorial of your visit 55 years ago and to have the two photos side by side! You're very lucky to have that. And second: how come your father came to speak Arabic? Was he there during the War? I'm guessing yes. I have a photo somewhere of two of my uncles, marked "Palestine 1941" - snow on the ground, and they were sitting beside their horses (Australian Light Infantry I think). I was in Palestine in 1965 - bumming around the region with my female companion - so it's possible we walked where the two soldiers had sat; but I'll never know. I don't think either of them spoke Arabic, though.

morpeth Aug 28th 2022 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 13137670)
Well, first: what a great memorial of your visit 55 years ago and to have the two photos side by side! You're very lucky to have that. And second: how come your father came to speak Arabic? Was he there during the War? I'm guessing yes. I have a photo somewhere of two of my uncles, marked "Palestine 1941" - snow on the ground, and they were sitting beside their horses (Australian Light Infantry I think). I was in Palestine in 1965 - bumming around the region with my female companion - so it's possible we walked where the two soldiers had sat; but I'll never know. I don't think either of them spoke Arabic, though.

I had uncles and great-uncles who were in the British and Australian armed forces in the Middle East but my father was in Eritrea. It was after the war ended he moved to Egypt, then afterwards with his work spent in Arabia and Lebanon.

uk_grenada Aug 29th 2022 10:20 am

Camels... I never knew till about 20 years ago that a camel could be pretty lol.

I lived in iran for years and saw hundreds of the obstinate noisy smelly bitey beasts, but 20 years ago i was staying in a hotel in Dubai, the Burj al arab. Anyway i walked out onto their deck and round a corner was this pretty camel sitting on the ground, waiting to take people on the short journey to the beach at the sister wave hotel. Its handler said she was chosen for her beauty, and then was brushed and washed daily. Big eyes, long eyelashes, beautiful coat, and very friendly/docile.

Gordon Barlow Aug 30th 2022 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 13137688)
I had uncles and great-uncles who were in the British and Australian armed forces in the Middle East but my father was in Eritrea. It was after the war ended he moved to Egypt, then afterwards with his work spent in Arabia and Lebanon.

I'm interested to know what your father was doing in Eritrea. That was before you were born, is that right? I've never run across anyone who worked there. Fascinating! Also, what was he doing in Egypt, Arabia and Lebanon?

I was in Egypt for a week or so during my Middle East adventure with the Australian girl whom I later married, and in Lebanon on the way there and the way back - but never long enough to learn anything about life there.

Gordon Barlow Sep 3rd 2022 9:10 pm

When I were a lad, aye... No, it's no use: I can't do Yorkshire! So... When I was a boy, we weren't allowed to say "damn" in our homes or anybody else's home. In a famous 1939 film, Clark Gable had said "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn", and it was considered shocking. But it did open the censorship gates a little bit, though not much. Our Grandmas could say, and did say, "I don't give a fig!" That wasn't considered bad, even though it was and is merely a variant of what our BE forums call "the F-word". We also weren't allowed to say hell, and even heck ("What the heck...?") was marginal for us kids.

It's interesting how times change language. None of us wants to give our moddies the vapours, poor dears; but it would be interesting for us to swap tales of forbidden words and phrases from "back in the day". With asterisks where warranted, of course! They allow ****, and even *****, although I suspect ****** would test their tolerance.

I remember a song from the movie "Anything Goes", which is relevant here. Does anybody else remember it?
In olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking;
Now, heaven knows: anything goes!
Good authors too, who once knew better words, now only use four-letter words
Writing prose. Anything goes!

morpeth Sep 4th 2022 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 13138058)
I'm interested to know what your father was doing in Eritrea. That was before you were born, is that right? I've never run across anyone who worked there. Fascinating! Also, what was he doing in Egypt, Arabia and Lebanon?

I was in Egypt for a week or so during my Middle East adventure with the Australian girl whom I later married, and in Lebanon on the way there and the way back - but never long enough to learn anything about life there.

He was constructing military facilities, yes before I was born. He said Eritrea was quite enjoyable- all Italian men were interned, which left several thousand Italian women free. After the war he visited Cairo, and through a contact became Aramco's representative in Egypt. Through that and later work he spent time in Lebanon- known until the civil war in the 1970s as the Paris of the Middle East. Sadly the combination of Palestinian refugees, and Islamic groups have destroyed Lebanon compared to what it was. Many people there for example have had their bank accounts frozen for months, while getting electricity can be a daily challenge there.

I have all of my fathers' passports , which are all full with immigration stamps from all over the world. Those with actual stamps affixed as some countries used to do , have a decent philatelic value.

Gordon Barlow Sep 7th 2022 2:28 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 13138988)
He was constructing military facilities, yes before I was born. He said Eritrea was quite enjoyable- all Italian men were interned, which left several thousand Italian women free. After the war he visited Cairo, and through a contact became Aramco's representative in Egypt. Through that and later work he spent time in Lebanon- known until the civil war in the 1970s as the Paris of the Middle East...

It's odd, isn't it, that children rarely visit places that their parents visited. My Mum and Dad never left Australia (well, she did much later), although their fathers did. I never wanted to retrace those grandfathers' steps. My son has travelled fairly widely, but not to where his parents went, back in the day. His children come from Norway to Cayman once in a while for holidays, but I can't see them ever bothering to check whether his treehouse in Guatemala still stands! Maybe we all just want to make our own marks.

morpeth Sep 7th 2022 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 13139548)
It's odd, isn't it, that children rarely visit places that their parents visited. My Mum and Dad never left Australia (well, she did much later), although their fathers did. I never wanted to retrace those grandfathers' steps. My son has travelled fairly widely, but not to where his parents went, back in the day. His children come from Norway to Cayman once in a while for holidays, but I can't see them ever bothering to check whether his treehouse in Guatemala still stands! Maybe we all just want to make our own marks.

A thought provoking observation . One aspect is there are areas of the world now less safe than before, for example places my father visited include places now too problematic to visit. another is changing interests.

Actually the older I get the more interest I am in my grandparents, and geneaology.as well as places where they lived.

One child of mine has little interest in visiting places I have been, while another child is very interested.

Gordon Barlow Sep 10th 2022 4:45 am

I sounded off the other day about cuss-words of "back in the day", and how sometimes it's hard to know what is acceptable these days and what isn't. Taboo words differ from place to place, of course: one man's Mede is another man's Persian, right? I was once threatened with expulsion from BE for abbreviating the word Pakistani, because one of the moddies insisted the abbreviation was racist - at least where she came from. And a friend in Australia has told me never to abbreviate the word "aborigine" any more, for the same reason. Sigh. It's hard to keep up.

I've never been pulled up (in the real world, I mean) for not using someone's "preferred pronouns", but the time surely can't be far away, the way things are going. Will BE be in the forefront of that battle? We'd all better keep an eye out - especially us old codgers. It could get nasty!

Tweedpipe Sep 10th 2022 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 13138928)
When I were a lad, aye... No, it's no use: I can't do Yorkshire! So... When I was a boy, we weren't allowed to say "damn" in our homes or anybody else's home. In a famous 1939 film, Clark Gable had said "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn", and it was considered shocking. But it did open the censorship gates a little bit, though not much. Our Grandmas could say, and did say, "I don't give a fig!" That wasn't considered bad, even though it was and is merely a variant of what our BE forums call "the F-word". We also weren't allowed to say hell, and even heck ("What the heck...?") was marginal for us kids.

It's interesting how times change language. None of us wants to give our moddies the vapours, poor dears; but it would be interesting for us to swap tales of forbidden words and phrases from "back in the day". With asterisks where warranted, of course! They allow ****, and even *****, although I suspect ****** would test their tolerance.

I remember a song from the movie "Anything Goes", which is relevant here. Does anybody else remember it?
In olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking;
Now, heaven knows: anything goes!
Good authors too, who once knew better words, now only use four-letter words
Writing prose. Anything goes!

Your post made me smile, especally the "We also weren't allowed to say hell, and even heck"..... etc.
In the early '20's those words would certainly have made my grandfather (whom I never knew) throw a fit. I say this as Mum once told us her family were sat for dinner one day, and on being asked a question she replied, "Ok". Apparently her father with a frightening look barked out loudly, "What did you say!! Don't ever let me hear you say that again my girl, do you understand!" She'd heard it said in school, but I'm sure never repeated it again at home.
The devil in me can't help wondering what the outcome would have been if at the dinner table she'd joked, "I now know how to put my panties on the right way round. They're marked C&A!"

scrubbedexpat142 Sep 10th 2022 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 13140206)
Your post made me smile, especally the "We also weren't allowed to say hell, and even heck"..... etc.
In the early '20's those words would certainly have made my grandfather (whom I never knew) throw a fit. I say this as Mum once told us her family were sat for dinner one day, and on being asked a question she replied, "Ok". Apparently her father with a frightening look barked out loudly, "What did you say!! Don't ever let me hear you say that again my girl, do you understand!" She'd heard it said in school, but I'm sure never repeated it again at home.
The devil in me can't help wondering what the outcome would have been if at the dinner table she'd joked, "I now know how to put my panties on the right way round. They're marked C&A!"

Blimey, and I thought it stood for "Coats 'an 'ats"!

uk_grenada Sep 10th 2022 10:28 am

If you think of the UK TV comedy of the 70's or 80's, there was stuff in there that would probably get you arrested today. Remember Alf Garnet?

Today, its not so much that you cant use certain words, or espouse a politically incorrect view, its that if you do, some bunch of Aholes, usually students will decide to 'cancel' you. The current cancel culture is that one lapse or slip may ruin your life, you may lose your job and be ridiculed online until you commit suicide or walk naked through the streets shouting unclean or i am guilty. You will not be allowed to express an opinion if it differs from their point of view.

People have been invited to talk in debates or give lectures to universities but then the students organise a violent response, LEcturers have lost their jobs for having the wrong views, or expressing them, or writing a book seen as heresy.

There are strong opposers of this end of free speech, Stephen Fry is one of them.

uk_grenada Sep 10th 2022 10:41 am

There was an amazing interview on the parkinson show years ago, Bernard Manning, the absolute mechanic of northern stand up comedy was on with Esther Ransen, all through the show Manning was coming out with loads of politically incorrect humour, and Rantsen clearly was not amused. At the end, Manning turned to her and said - 'Esther, good comedy is holistic, eveyone and everything is a target, personally i think all of us should come together, the catholics, the jews, muslims, people of all colours, should come together, [she started to smile] and kick hell out of the [expletive - people who come from pakistan]

Bipat Sep 10th 2022 11:32 am

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 13140230)
There was an amazing interview on the parkinson show years ago, Bernard Manning, the absolute mechanic of northern stand up comedy was on with Esther Ransen, all through the show Manning was coming out with loads of politically incorrect humour, and Rantsen clearly was not amused. At the end, Manning turned to her and said - 'Esther, good comedy is holistic, eveyone and everything is a target, personally i think all of us should come together, the catholics, the jews, muslims, people of all colours, should come together, [she started to smile] and kick hell out of the [expletive - people who come from pakistan]

Have been reading this excellent thread for a while but nervous of joining in.
However have to disagree with your post---think of the children who hear their parents using the 'words' and then use them to taunt children in their school class with 'Jew', 'P*ki' etc.
There are so many good comedians who joke about these issues without causing personal offence, Manning was not one of them!.

uk_grenada Sep 10th 2022 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 13140235)
Have been reading this excellent thread for a while but nervous of joining in.
However have to disagree with your post---think of the children who hear their parents using the 'words' and then use them to taunt children in their school class with 'Jew', 'P*ki' etc.
There are so many good comedians who joke about these issues without causing personal offence, Manning was not one of them!.

Manning was an equal opportunities offender or - well anyone really, he was an absolute machine at it. The look on Esthers face when he said it was wonderous to behold.

I would maintain that comedy that offends nobody does work, but should the fact that someone is offended by it mean it should be banned, the books burned and the individual silenced? You realise such totalitarian measures have been responsible for much harm. Sure, muslims would like bacon banned, some religions insist on killing opposition or those who blaspheme. I am a firm supporter of the concept that while i may disagree with your words or view, i would maintain your right - and i do mean a right - to say it. If such comedy has no audience it will diminish, but suppressing it is in my view dangerous.

Can i recommend a book called 'What happened to you' by Dr Bruce Perry and Oprah Winfrey. [ https://www.bdperry.com/about ].

Its in the US top sellers lists currently. Its an in depth exploration of trauma, and how it is now clinically and scientifically viewed. Among many subjects, It dissects racism and explains how it happens in the mind of a child or even baby.

Think of our brain in sections, the most primitive parts deal with breathing and sensation. The cortex is our intelligence rational thinking mind. The problem is that visceral things are in the less sophisticated areas. When you become frightened and the fight/flight response kicks in, your cortex is essentially shut down, you are much less rational and the primitive areas generate the chemicals that allow you to run away from the dinosaur. Becoming sullen, turning inward, being passive, is actually the other end of the same response.

Take a very young black child. He is in a car with his dad. The dad is stopped, searched, shouted at, and verbally abused by a white policeman. The young child may not be able to comprehend it all, but he knows the white man is bad, he hurt his dad. This learning will be stored in his cortex and in the primitive parts of his brain, but in stress he will use the primitive areas faster, these may overwhelm his cortex, he rationally normally hasnt a racist bone in his body, but he has a racist primitive brain stem... As you know babies are frightened of heights at birth, they acquire this from ancestors. Imagine what a black baby whose 10 generations back relative was a slave might be born with?

Bipat Sep 10th 2022 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 13140253)
Manning was an equal opportunities offender or - well anyone really, he was an absolute machine at it. The look on Esthers face when he said it was wonderous to behold.

I would maintain that comedy that offends nobody does work, but should the fact that someone is offended by it mean it should be banned, the books burned and the individual silenced? You realise such totalitarian measures have been responsible for much harm. Sure, muslims would like bacon banned, some religions insist on killing opposition or those who blaspheme. I am a firm supporter of the concept that while i may disagree with your words or view, i would maintain your right - and i do mean a right - to say it. If such comedy has no audience it will diminish, but suppressing it is in my view dangerous.

Can i recommend a book called 'What happened to you' by Dr Bruce Perry and Oprah Winfrey. [ [url]https://www.bdperry.com/about ].

Its in the US top sellers lists currently. Its an in depth exploration of trauma, and how it is now clinically and scientifically viewed. Among many subjects, It dissects racism and explains how it happens in the mind of a child or even baby.

Think of our brain in sections, the most primitive parts deal with breathing and sensation. The cortex is our intelligence rational thinking mind. The problem is that visceral things are in the less sophisticated areas. When you become frightened and the fight/flight response kicks in, your cortex is essentially shut down, you are much less rational and the primitive areas generate the chemicals that allow you to run away from the dinosaur. Becoming sullen, turning inward, being passive, is actually the other end of the same response.

Take a very young black child. He is in a car with his dad. The dad is stopped, searched, shouted at, and verbally abused by a white policeman. The young child may not be able to comprehend it all, but he knows the white man is bad, he hurt his dad. This learning will be stored in his cortex and in the primitive parts of his brain, but in stress he will use the primitive areas faster, these may overwhelm his cortex, he rationally normally hasnt a racist bone in his body, but he has a racist primitive brain stem... As you know babies are frightened of heights at birth, they acquire this from ancestors. Imagine what a black baby whose 10 generations back relative was a slave might be born with?

As my immediate family is mixed-race---I will stick to the comedy aspect of your posts!
Remember the comedian Jackie Mason, think of Mel Brooks they could/can make people laugh at Jewish jokes and nobody offended (as far as I know!)

uk_grenada Sep 10th 2022 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 13140258)
As my immediate family is mixed-race---I will stick to the comedy aspect of your posts!
Remember the comedian Jackie Mason, think of Mel Brooks they could/can make people laugh at Jewish jokes and nobody offended (as far as I know!)

I am white, married to a black lady from Grenada, where i live and have naturally biracial children. To understand how racism is able to be passed on in effect generation to generation where there may be no logical reason, and learned but quite possibly hidden, these were revelations to me, but understandable when explained.

I can confirm mel brooks offended plenty of people, springtime for hitler??

scrubbedexpat142 Sep 10th 2022 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 13140230)

I recall Bob Monkhouse doing something similar, but somewhat milder, ending up with blaming
Spoiler:
the Dutch!

uk_grenada Sep 10th 2022 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13140275)
I recall Bob Monkhouse doing something similar, but somewhat milder, ending up with blaming
Spoiler:
the Dutch!

Bob Monkhouse on TV vs Bob Monkhouse in real life were 2 very different comedians. One of my favourites was Ken Dodd, he could give Roy Chubby Brown a run for his money in a late night show...

scrubbedexpat142 Sep 10th 2022 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 13140276)
Bob Monkhouse on TV vs Bob Monkhouse in real life were 2 very different comedians. One of my favourites was Ken Dodd, he could give Roy Chubby Brown a run for his money in a late night show...

This was TV so I guess somewhat milder!

morpeth Sep 10th 2022 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 13140228)
If you think of the UK TV comedy of the 70's or 80's, there was stuff in there that would probably get you arrested today. Remember Alf Garnet?

Today, its not so much that you cant use certain words, or espouse a politically incorrect view, its that if you do, some bunch of Aholes, usually students will decide to 'cancel' you. The current cancel culture is that one lapse or slip may ruin your life, you may lose your job and be ridiculed online until you commit suicide or walk naked through the streets shouting unclean or i am guilty. You will not be allowed to express an opinion if it differs from their point of view.

People have been invited to talk in debates or give lectures to universities but then the students organise a violent response, LEcturers have lost their jobs for having the wrong views, or expressing them, or writing a book seen as heresy.

There are strong opposers of this end of free speech, Stephen Fry is one of them.

It is all getting out of hand. I note in America quite a few stand=up comedians won't perform on college campuses any more. Hard for anyone to keep up with or even believe all this nonsense about political correctness, or for that matter cultural appropriation.

morpeth Sep 10th 2022 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 13140253)

Can i recommend a book called 'What happened to you' by Dr Bruce Perry and Oprah Winfrey. [ [url]https://www.bdperry.com/about ].

Teaching people to consider themselves as victims, and constantly use the 'race card' and see racism behind everything is counter-productive- and add to that cancel culture, trigger warnings, safe spaces, eliminating classic literature from some university classes, all point to an excess of nonsense. Restricting free speech and open intellectual inquiry hardly is a benefit to society.

morpeth Sep 10th 2022 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 13140260)
I am white, married to a black lady from Grenada, where i live and have naturally biracial children. To understand how racism is able to be passed on in effect generation to generation where there may be no logical reason, and learned but quite possibly hidden, these were revelations to me, but understandable when explained.

I can confirm mel brooks offended plenty of people, springtime for hitler??

And there were others who felt making fun of te Nazis a good thing.

uk_grenada Sep 10th 2022 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 13140324)
And there were others who felt making fun of te Nazis a good thing.

Springtime for hitler isnt that simple unfortunately - while the whole core of the gag was to make a completely impossible play, supporting nazis, so they could steal the money from backers [what could go wrong], the film makers also succeeded in annoying the jewish community, because the protagonists - were jewish con men.

Do you remember the furore after the monty python team made life of brian? John Cleese actually went on TV with an arch bishop and took the pi.. out of him. 'I mean - he and i share initials, JC'

Gordon Barlow Sep 11th 2022 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 13140276)

The best Bob Monkhouse joke: "I always wanted to be a comedian. When I was a boy I told all my friends, and they laughed. (Pause...) They're not laughing now!"

morpeth Sep 11th 2022 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 13140331)
Springtime for hitler isnt that simple unfortunately - while the whole core of the gag was to make a completely impossible play, supporting nazis, so they could steal the money from backers [what could go wrong], the film makers also succeeded in annoying the jewish community, because the protagonists - were jewish con men.

Do you remember the furore after the monty python team made life of brian? John Cleese actually went on TV with an arch bishop and took the pi.. out of him. 'I mean - he and i share initials, JC'

https://youtu.be/SGI9UevrzGc

I just pointed out there were different opinions, just as there were about the American television show Hogan's Heroes. Restricting art and free speech are things Nazis and Communists are prone to do- a bit worrisome current trends bearing much similarity to those trends including demonizing opponents and creating at the same time a sense of victimhood or envy.

Gordon Barlow Sep 13th 2022 4:48 pm

Back to the days of what we were and weren't allowed to say at the dinner table - or anywhere else within a grandparent's hearing... Older visitors to this thread will remember a topic that was so forbidden that none of us kids ever dreamed of mentioning: "shotgun" marriages. We could never ask what it meant that Betty the teenager or young woman from up the road "had to get married, you know!" Those of us who did not know, stayed ignorant until much, much later. "Poor girl!" or "silly girl!" These days: not to worry... What a change we've lived through - thanks entirely to "the pill". It freed up women and men to do what comes naturally, and to avoid what some English comedian described as "a fate worse than petrol rationing".

I have three grandchildren, but no daughters-in-law. One of the three is inherited, and there are two mothers, and all the brothers and sisters get on well and visit one another from time to time. It's lovely to see, but my Mum wouldn't have approved.

Gordon Barlow Sep 17th 2022 9:42 pm

Digressing for a moment... The other day I sent a photo of a heavily over-crowded Indian train to a friend of mine who hitched from London to Singapore in 1964-5 and asked if he had ever travelled on "one of these". Here's his reply, verbatim.The Taki in the story is a Japanese chap he met up with in Spain. Linda and I bumped into them in Iran for a fifteen-minute conversation. Then they left for Pakistan and we for Iraq. He and I hooked up again in '95 when I visited Australia, and now we chat on WhatsApp once in a while. We were at school together, and met again in London in '63.

Yep! The first attempt we stood back and allowed the women & children get on, as you do, but when we were still on the platform when the train left, guess who was first on when the next train came in the next day.We slept In the waiting room that night and the guards wanted us to leave and then levelled their guns at us to move.All I could think is if they pull their triggers I would have a hole the size of a football where my stomach was. BUT the inscrutable oriental Taki managed to convince the guards that we would leave in the morning, for sure.So we slept there and when the next train came in we were first on.But once on you grabbed the best seat & we sat down.The locals laid down on the seats & did not give a hoot about the locals.First in best dressed attitude. But the other issue was we did not have tickets and when asked for them Taki replied in Japanese and I answered in bad German.but another passenger who was in the same carriage dobbed us in to the conductor saying we spoke English.The end was we travelled for free (yes I know we were tight arses but we were 1 day behind for doing the right thing). In the carriage it is ok to bring the chooks, pigs,children yes anything.I do not know where the toilets were and I dread to think but you could go out on the landing between the carriages and hang on ,,,,,they were very broad minded for that era. Mind you the first class was a lot better which is where we ended up because we did not speak English. That was the only train we took, it was trucks from then on as they were a little faster a little more dangerous, as the road rules had not been written then.

An American couple Linda & I met in Vila in the 1970s (they stayed in our unofficial and illegal "youth hostel") said if we ever got to India we must NEVER buy a third-class ticket on the trains. Second class only, they said. They had ridden a motorbike through India. In Nepal they bought a beautiful local carpet and shipped it back to New York. We all roared with laughter at the prospect of their parents inspecting the carpet: it was decorated with swastikas, and they were all Jewish.

Bipat Sep 18th 2022 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 13141905)
Digressing for a moment... The other day I sent a photo of a heavily over-crowded Indian train to a friend of mine who hitched from London to Singapore in 1964-5 and asked if he had ever travelled on "one of these". Here's his reply, verbatim.The Taki in the story is a Japanese chap he met up with in Spain. Linda and I bumped into them in Iran for a fifteen-minute conversation. Then they left for Pakistan and we for Iraq. He and I hooked up again in '95 when I visited Australia, and now we chat on WhatsApp once in a while. We were at school together, and met again in London in '63.

Yep! The first attempt we stood back and allowed the women & children get on, as you do, but when we were still on the platform when the train left, guess who was first on when the next train came in the next day.We slept In the waiting room that night and the guards wanted us to leave and then levelled their guns at us to move.All I could think is if they pull their triggers I would have a hole the size of a football where my stomach was. BUT the inscrutable oriental Taki managed to convince the guards that we would leave in the morning, for sure.So we slept there and when the next train came in we were first on.But once on you grabbed the best seat & we sat down.The locals laid down on the seats & did not give a hoot about the locals.First in best dressed attitude. But the other issue was we did not have tickets and when asked for them Taki replied in Japanese and I answered in bad German.but another passenger who was in the same carriage dobbed us in to the conductor saying we spoke English.The end was we travelled for free (yes I know we were tight arses but we were 1 day behind for doing the right thing). In the carriage it is ok to bring the chooks, pigs,children yes anything.I do not know where the toilets were and I dread to think but you could go out on the landing between the carriages and hang on ,,,,,they were very broad minded for that era. Mind you the first class was a lot better which is where we ended up because we did not speak English. That was the only train we took, it was trucks from then on as they were a little faster a little more dangerous, as the road rules had not been written then.

An American couple Linda & I met in Vila in the 1970s (they stayed in our unofficial and illegal "youth hostel") said if we ever got to India we must NEVER buy a third-class ticket on the trains. Second class only, they said. They had ridden a motorbike through India. In Nepal they bought a beautiful local carpet and shipped it back to New York. We all roared with laughter at the prospect of their parents inspecting the carpet: it was decorated with swastikas, and they were all Jewish.

Reminded me of the multiple train journeys in India from 1970s onwards. The overnight 6 tier- second class. When we got to three children I always got a top bunk--it sways--leading to nausea! The toilets ---easier for women to wear a skirt rather than usual salwar kameez, once forgot that I had all our spare money tucked in my blouse for night safety, came back and realised I could have dropped all of it down the hole! (Fortunately hadn't).

(The swastika was an ancient Sanskrit sign meaning 'good will' used in India long before Germany.)

Gordon Barlow Sep 18th 2022 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 13141957)
(The swastika was an ancient Sanskrit sign meaning 'good will' used in India long before Germany.)

Yes, thanks, Bipat. I forgot to mention that!
He (the boy - can't recall their names after all this time!) said the hardest thing to get used to in India was the sheer number of people. He may have been making up this anecdote, but he told us that when the girl wanted to have a pee they rode on and didn't stop until there was nobody in sight for miles around. Then he'd stop, and by the time she got her pants down there were fifty people watching. He could never figure out where they came from! Does that sound real?

Bipat Sep 18th 2022 8:47 pm

[QUOTE=Gordon Barlow;13142001]Yes, thanks, Bipat. I forgot to mention that!
He (the boy - can't recall their names after all this time!) said the hardest thing to get used to in India was the sheer number of people. He may have been making up this anecdote, but he told us that when the girl wanted to have a pee they rode on and didn't stop until there was nobody in sight for miles around. Then he'd stop, and by the time she got her pants down there were fifty people watching. He could never figure out where they came from! Does that sound real?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't sound real! Certainly cities, towns can be overwhelming to new visitors with the number of people, even large villages but not open countryside.
Would just be occasional people walking or cycling. Nowadays with good roads, car drivers avoid long distance open country areas if they can, as if they break down no help for miles.
Years ago, when overnight bus journeys, they just stopped and men would use the side of the bus! Women just 'waited' or a group find some bushes to go behind!
Now there are service stations!

Gordon Barlow Sep 18th 2022 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 13142044)
It doesn't sound real! Certainly cities, towns can be overwhelming to new visitors with the number of people, even large villages but not open countryside.
Would just be occasional people walking or cycling. Nowadays with good roads, car drivers avoid long distance open country areas if they can, as if they break down no help for miles.
Years ago, when overnight bus journeys, they just stopped and men would use the side of the bus! Women just 'waited' or a group find some bushes to go behind!
Now there are service stations!

I believe you. I called him out on it at the time, but he swore it was true! It will certainly have made for a good story back in New York. We were swapping budget-travel adventures - they about India, we about the Middle East - and he probably felt the need to one-up our stories!

Gordon Barlow Sep 23rd 2022 5:36 pm

Okay, back to the topic (post 111 above) of words we weren't allow to say in front of our parents, back in the day - or read in the paper. There were no asterisks! Either the "magic word" was spelt out in all its glory - in books on the top shelf of the public library - or it was replaced by a more acceptable word. Or a blank space with a line underneath it. In these quasi-liberal days, we get asterisks; and that's a cop-out if ever there was one. We all know what f*** means. We never confuse it with f*****, unless the writer has really c***ed things up. And we can all easily distinguish between p**** and p**** by the context. Right? You see how silly it is. I was once threatened with expulsion from BE for using p***, so I will never take a chance with that again! As we say here in the Caribbean, "heavy manners, man!"

Gordon Barlow Sep 29th 2022 6:04 pm

On the topic of language-change... There's an interesting Australian word from my long-ago youth, that I haven't heard anybody from Oz use recently - except people my age. Back in the day, the word "boof" was a slang term for "big". The headmaster of my school was called "Boofhead", and even our parents referred to him as "Boof". An over-weight baby boy was called "a boofter kid". (There was no female equivalent, only the dry observation "she'll be a great help to her mother".)

I wonder if "boofter" is still kosher. Or has it been ousted by its closeness to the P- word? I need to know: it's a risky world we live in, in this Age of Woke.

Gordon Barlow Oct 5th 2022 2:24 am

Here's a question for visitors to this thread... About when did seatbelts become compulsory, around the world? Of course not all countries brought in a law at the same time, but I can't even recall the decade. I did a lot of driving in the '60s and '70s, in 30-odd countries before coming to Cayman in 1978, and I have no recollection of using the things in any of them. So I have to guess it happened to me after 1978; but then I don't remember their being brought in here, either. If someone has a better memory than I have, please help me out! Thank you!

Gordon Barlow Oct 8th 2022 10:45 pm

Gosh, this thread is beginning to look like an autobiography! It's attracted a thousand visitors in the past two weeks, which is pretty good; but no posts besides mine. Never mind, I suppose; it's open to all...

Back in the day, thirty years ago, I became a financial consultant to a local supermarket, and sat in on the weekly Directors' meetings. I was brought on board to criticise what others might hesitate to criticise; The boss was a nice fellow, but didn't suffer fools gladly. On one occasion I tore into the sales chart. "This can't be right", I grumbled. "You say your sales are going up every week, but the chart is all over the place. It's up and down like Father's pants!" A lovely expression, which I'd learned as a child in Australia. It was new to the locals, and the boss thought it was hugely funny. I could get away with pretty much anything after that.

These many years later, the next generation is running what is now a supermarket chain. I still sit in on the meetings, and any up-and-down chart still gets the same criticism as it did then, from all of them. "As Gordon would say..."