Anyone in Sri Lanka?

Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

rachelcassim is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone in Sri Lanka?

Hi everyone,
I moved out to Sri Lanka 3 months ago and am finding it incredibly hard to get in touch with others. I am a Brit who married a Sri Lankan chap and have moved out here to a completely different life. I have tried the British High Commission and word of mouth for any expats, but with no luck. Would greatly appreciate any contacts/advise you may have.
Thanks
Rachel
Old Apr 16th 2004, 4:50 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone in Sri Lanka?

Originally posted by rachelcassim
Hi everyone,
I moved out to Sri Lanka 3 months ago and am finding it incredibly hard to get in touch with others. I am a Brit who married a Sri Lankan chap and have moved out here to a completely different life. I have tried the British High Commission and word of mouth for any expats, but with no luck. Would greatly appreciate any contacts/advise you may have.
Thanks
Rachel
Hi Rachel

Sorry I do not live in Sri Lanka but I am also married to a sri lankan chap. We have just moved to Australia and at least they all speak the same language.

I have friends there in Sri Lanka but they are mainly sri lankan and know a couple of guys that can speak good english.

Have you tried contacting VSO volunteer service overseas we met a few english people who were living and working in Sri Lanka with them. Not sure if they have a website.

Where are you situated? There were a few expats in Negombo there is a bar there Rodeo which attracted europeans.

How do you find living there? We thought of it if Australia doesn't work. We have a house in Malabe nr Colombo but I'd rather be near the sea.

I also know a hotel owner in Unawatuna (where we got married) his wife is french not quite british but you would have something in common both european and married to a sri lankan guy I could perhaps help you link up but depends where you are as Unwawatuna is a trek from say colombo.

Are you working?

Regards

Jo
Old May 12th 2004, 9:06 am
Just Joined

rachelcassim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jo,

Many thanks for your reply. It is great to know there is someone out there.

I'm working and living in Colombo and have been tipped off that the Colombo Swimming Club is a good place to meet expats. I do particularly want to get in touch with expats as am finding the 'norms' in SL to be a lot different to what I am used to. A friendly Brit with a like mind would be such a god-send at the moment.

As far as I can see Colombo has everything you could need. More and more shops and restaurants are coming up. There is still a bit of a lack of things to do that I never felt in the UK. My husband and I still get a lot of suspicious/interested gazes. I feel a lot more restricted than in UK. I tried taking a walk in Colombo the other day and after 30 mins gave up as I got hassled so much.

Great to hear from you and thanks again.

Rachel
Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:00 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by rachelcassim
Hi Jo,

Many thanks for your reply. It is great to know there is someone out there.

I'm working and living in Colombo and have been tipped off that the Colombo Swimming Club is a good place to meet expats. I do particularly want to get in touch with expats as am finding the 'norms' in SL to be a lot different to what I am used to. A friendly Brit with a like mind would be such a god-send at the moment.

As far as I can see Colombo has everything you could need. More and more shops and restaurants are coming up. There is still a bit of a lack of things to do that I never felt in the UK. My husband and I still get a lot of suspicious/interested gazes. I feel a lot more restricted than in UK. I tried taking a walk in Colombo the other day and after 30 mins gave up as I got hassled so much.

Great to hear from you and thanks again.

Rachel

Rachel

Also forgot the Cricket Club bar is run by an australian couple. There was a lot of very wealthy sri lankans and westerners in there.

It also sells a wide variety of drinks. Can recommend it for a night out.

I always get strange looks when there. They all think Shami was a guide that got lucky. Little do they know we met at uni in the UK.

We have a laugh over it but it does annoy Shami sometimes. Well you are braver than me. I do love the country and envy you but we took the easy option of a country were at least I can understand the language.

I'm not sure what I would do living over there. Shami family were begging us to stay and work there but at the moment it is not for us. So far Oz is working out.

I wish you well and if I can be of any help drop us an email.

Take care

Jo
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:39 am
Just Joined

lyndach is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Anyone in Sri Lanka?

Hi Rachel,
Hope you don't mind me popping in for a chat and ask you a big favour.

My husband and I are going to live and work in Sri Lanka leaving Scotland beginning of March '05.
We are getting help from the company as to what we need to take etc but feel the need to speak to someone who is already out there and has experienced moving to that country.
We would value any information you could give us regarding what to take with us household wise.
We have been advised to take kitchen utensils, cutlery, fm radio, sun tan lotion
and also a "posh frock" ugh, I only wear trousers or a skirt if I have to, I hate dressing up and posh do's but I realise the need for it, what would you advise?
We have been allowed 40kilos excess.
Help!!