Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Anyone out there in Jakarta?

Anyone out there in Jakarta?

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

WishingWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone out there in Jakarta?

Visiting Jakarta next week and a possibility we might be moving over. Would welcome any views or advice from anyone there, particularly regarding accommodation types and areas, security, education (young child), family friendliness - and my wife will not forgive me if I don't include shopping in that list Thanks!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:26 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone out there in Jakarta?

I lived in Singapore for a few years so met quite a few expats (mainly with oil companies) whom had lived in Jakarta. It seems to be a chaotic place to live and corruption is a fact of life in business dealings; however the expat community is quite close knit there and there is a British school.

I suggest you avoid flying with Garuda Indonesia if possible as it has a very poor safety record; best to fly with Singapore Airlines if you can.

You will need a driver and you will have live-in housemaids.

Here is a fantastic expat website with forums for Indonesia:

http://www.expat.or.id/

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 6:16 am
Just Joined

WishingWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone out there in Jakarta?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I lived in Singapore for a few years so met quite a few expats (mainly with oil companies) whom had lived in Jakarta. It seems to be a chaotic place to live and corruption is a fact of life in business dealings; however the expat community is quite close knit there and there is a British school.

I suggest you avoid flying with Garuda Indonesia if possible as it has a very poor safety record; best to fly with Singapore Airlines if you can.

You will need a driver and you will have live-in housemaids.

Here is a fantastic expat website with forums for Indonesia:

http://www.expat.or.id/

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that.