British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Rest of the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/)
-   -   2 passports (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/2-passports-676642/)

ktduplessis Jul 14th 2010 1:20 pm

2 passports

I am a British Citizen, But I also have a South African Passport as I lived there for many years, I am currently in the UK, I would like to visit family in SA, could I travel to South Africa on my South African Passport and return to the UK with my British Passport?

Alfresco Jul 14th 2010 1:27 pm

Re: 2 passports

Originally Posted by ktduplessis (Post 8701080)
I am a British Citizen, But I also have a South African Passport as I lived there for many years, I am currently in the UK, I would like to visit family in SA, could I travel to South Africa on my South African Passport and return to the UK with my British Passport?

Yes you must enter S.A. on your S.A. passport by law. You also re-enter the UK on your British passport.

Take lots of money with you. S.A. is quite pricey now. :thumbdown:

ktduplessis Jul 14th 2010 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8701090)
Yes you must enter S.A. on your S.A. passport by law. You also re-enter the UK on your British passport.

Take lots of money with you. S.A. is quite pricey now. :thumbdown:

Thank you for the reply, so I can use my South African Passport to leave the UK and enter South Africa, then on return use my British Passport to leave SA and enter the UK on a return ticket, will they not ask me why I don't have a stamp saying that I enetered SA? My British Passport is missing at eh moment and I need to get to SA, I have friend that is coming to SA later that could bring my British Passport with her, so I can return on it without having to get any visas, do you think this will work?

Alfresco Jul 14th 2010 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ktduplessis (Post 8701122)
Thank you for the reply, so I can use my South African Passport to leave the UK and enter South Africa, then on return use my British Passport to leave SA and enter the UK on a return ticket, will they not ask me why I don't have a stamp saying that I enetered SA? My British Passport is missing at eh moment and I need to get to SA, I have friend that is coming to SA later that could bring my British Passport with her, so I can return on it without having to get any visas, do you think this will work?

We usually leave the UK on UK passports and enter SA on SA passports. Then Leave SA on SA passports and enter UK on UK passport.

You MUST enter and leave SA on your SA passport only. They scan it and stamp it at passport control on the way in and on the way out.

You may be able to leave the UK on your SA passport at Heathrow etc... I'm not sure.

ktduplessis Jul 14th 2010 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8701134)
We usually leave the UK on UK passports and enter SA on SA passports. Then Leave SA on SA passports and enter UK on UK passport.

You MUST enter and leave SA on your SA passport only. They scan it and stamp it at passport control on the way in and on the way out.

You may be able to leave the UK on your SA passport at Heathrow etc... I'm not sure.

When Leaving SA on a SA Passport, do they not ask you for a visa?

Alfresco Jul 14th 2010 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by ktduplessis (Post 8701141)
When Leaving SA on a SA Passport, do they not ask you for a visa?

Shouldn't do as you will be on a return ticket to the UK. You should also have your UK passport when leaving SA which you can show them. :)

EDIT:

Having said that, they did want to see our UK passports at the boarding gate back to the UK (via Spain) to prove we had the right to enter the EU without visas.