Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Where to choose to live???

Where to choose to live???

Old Apr 14th 2019, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Sengdroma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to choose to live???

So this will seem vast!!! We are looking to move to ROI (no rush, better to get it right), we are after a place which can offer woodlands, walks, ruralness, streams, lakes, beaches. So yeah!!!! We need to live rural, so ok with 30 to 1 hr drive to nearest town. Self sufficient as much as possible. Views ideally sunsets, so west facing location. Probably have about £500,000 to buy a property and be mortgage free. Happy to own land, woods etc

so does this sound like by the Ring of Kerry???

Last edited by Sengdroma; Apr 14th 2019 at 4:57 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 15th 2019, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to choose to live???

Originally Posted by Sengdroma
So this will seem vast!!! We are looking to move to ROI (no rush, better to get it right), we are after a place which can offer woodlands, walks, ruralness, streams, lakes, beaches. So yeah!!!! We need to live rural, so ok with 30 to 1 hr drive to nearest town. Self sufficient as much as possible. Views ideally sunsets, so west facing location. Probably have about £500,000 to buy a property and be mortgage free. Happy to own land, woods etc

so does this sound like by the Ring of Kerry???
To be honest, there are so many places that could offer you that in Ireland. Kerry is of course an option but would you want to be near the beach or rather a bit inland? It will be harder to find woodlands directly on the coast, as they are only really starting to create woodlands again in recent years. I live East of Galway myself but Cork Bantry area might be an option for you. Haven't been there in years, so must visit again. Here some properties:-) With a bit of work, anything is possible
https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-...-cork-1897288/
https://www.daft.ie/cork/bungalows-f...-cork-2084815/
https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-...-cork-1909368/

As you say, you don't won't to be in-between the large mountains directly, as that will mean you won't be getting the sunsets and will probably have more rain if clouds get trapped. Nice wooded Lake areas would be Lough Derg (Co Clare/Tipperary) but that will mean being further inland, so it really depends. Places near Westport Co. Mayo could also be an option.
Old May 5th 2019, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Rayk88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

The Beara Peninsula in West Cork is beautiful. If you go on to google maps and look up R574 (a regional road in the Beara peninsula which crosses the Caha Mountains via the Healy Pass) it will give you some idea of how lovely the area is. Away from all the noise, fuss and dirt and close to all that's godly.

That being said The Iveragh Peninsula in Co. Kerry is lovely too.

Good luck!
Old Aug 29th 2019, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

nolanger is an unknown quantity at this point

West Waterford.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
To be honest, there are so many places that could offer you that in Ireland. Kerry is of course an option but would you want to be near the beach or rather a bit inland? It will be harder to find woodlands directly on the coast, as they are only really starting to create woodlands again in recent years. I live East of Galway myself but Cork Bantry area might be an option for you. Haven't been there in years, so must visit again. Here some properties:-) With a bit of work, anything is possible
https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-...-cork-1897288/
https://www.daft.ie/cork/bungalows-f...-cork-2084815/
https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-...-cork-1909368/

As you say, you don't won't to be in-between the large mountains directly, as that will mean you won't be getting the sunsets and will probably have more rain if clouds get trapped. Nice wooded Lake areas would be Lough Derg (Co Clare/Tipperary) but that will mean being further inland, so it really depends. Places near Westport Co. Mayo could also be an option.
500 K is a good figure to start in Ireland, if moving to the country is a choice. Cork would however never be my choice, it's just not my type of city. I'd rather buy within the reach of Dublin airport, just for ease of access and flying somewhere.

The Ring of Kerry is also very beautiful. Also Dingle is a nice place. Tralee is also a good choice.