Loving Ireland

Old Mar 29th 2017, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Buzyizzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Loving Ireland

Having read some of the posts on here regarding peeps' concerns about Ireland, I thought I would pop this on here.
I moved here five weeks ago to a rural townland in Mayo. I have two horses and a dog, but otherwise I'm alone. Everyone has been enormously helpful, kind and welcoming. They all introduced themselves when I was out working on my fields and I've had an invitation from the village matriarch. It's very safe, everyone keeps an eye on everyone else, in a nice way, and I'm not lonely. The weather has been typically Irish, sun and showers mostly. It is more expensive than UK, especially since Brexit, but I think it's worth it.😊
Old Apr 4th 2017, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loving Ireland

Originally Posted by Buzyizzy
I moved here five weeks ago
It's good to hear things are going well. One thing that must be a great help is the fact that there is no new language to learn, as would have been the case if you had moved to a southern European country.

It is more expensive than UK, especially since Brexit, but I think it's worth it.😊
Could you provide a couple of examples to support this statement please? Do you mean the value of the British Pound against the Euro, or are you referring to the cost of goods in the shops?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 10:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thank you for thinking to give your happy update.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Buzyizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by teejaydee
It's good to hear things are going well. One thing that must be a great help is the fact that there is no new language to learn, as would have been the case if you had moved to a southern European country.

Could you provide a couple of examples to support this statement please? Do you mean the value of the British Pound against the Euro, or are you referring to the cost of goods in the shops?
The weakening pound against the euro hasn't helped, but in general food is about 20% more than UK.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

The weakening pound against the euro hasn't helped, but in general food is about 20% more than UK.
Many thanks for the quick reply. That's very interesting about the food prices. I knew about the weakening pound, but did not know about the cost of food. This is obviously something for retirees on fixed budgets to bear in mind when considering a move to Ireland.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point

Having read some of the posts on here regarding peeps' concerns about Ireland, I thought I would pop this on here.
I moved here five weeks ago to a rural townland in Mayo. I have two horses and a dog, but otherwise I'm alone. Everyone has been enormously helpful, kind and welcoming. They all introduced themselves when I was out working on my fields and I've had an invitation from the village matriarch. It's very safe, everyone keeps an eye on everyone else, in a nice way, and I'm not lonely. The weather has been typically Irish, sun and showers mostly. It is more expensive than UK, especially since Brexit, but I think it's worth it.😊
I must say your post has made my wife really excited, we're in Texas right now and I'm bringing her back to Ireland next year for good after living here for 3 years and your life sounds amazing. My father and most of my family is in Rural Mayo so I've been contemplating that area myself.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

liamnolan is an unknown quantity at this point

Really pleased to read this post from buzyizzy and that things worked out ok in the end.
I am originally from Dublin and now moving the business to Ireland and with my Scottish wife to keep me under control. I have been running training courses in Ireland for about 10 years and its not the same place I left behind, thats for sure. But most of the changes have been for the best. I have been checking for good broadband connectivity, low crime, not too far into the wilderness, access to public transport if the car suddenly goes belly up and trying to get a feel for the place.
Re the cost of food, I noticed that and I find it a bit laughable that cheese is 20% more expensive in Ireland, as if there was a shortage of cows ..
Life is what you make it, every place is someones hell and some elses paradise. I grew up in Ballyfermot in Dublin, concrete jungle that was rough all those years ago and is now even worse, but it was home.
The Irish people are top class in all sorts of ways and if you are friendly and open then nothing much will go wrong. Its people who always make the difference.
The one thing I avoid at all costs is talking about myself too much in a pub. Others will be polite enough to listen but you really need to talk less and listen more. Having lived outside Ireland for many years does not mean you have had a better time!
Can I ask any UK citizen who has moved to Ireland what their experiences have been when needing healthcare? Did they register with the local doctor, dentist? What paperwork was needed and what happened? Thanks, Liam