We made it to Ireland!

Old Apr 13th 2006, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Rossiters is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: We made it to Ireland!

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
Unfortunatly that price sounds about right, it cost £1000 to ship our stuff last year and we didn't take furniture. Well, a bed and a tumble drier but everything else was our personal and household stuff.

I'd check the tax situation regarding taking your car. I don't know exactly what it is but the tax on imports is apparently quite high, with older cars being taxed as new. You need to check that out though, we just decided to get a car when we got here. Bring your no claims cert from your insurance company and sit down when you go to get car insurance...it's scary

BSG
Oh dear........shows you how much I didn't know!! I thought you could just drive to Ireland in your car without much fuss. What is this about tax on importing your car??Please explain. Help!!

By the way, thanks BSG and crazydaisy for your good advice. Slowly digesting....all the valuable information!! One quick question, originally we were looking to settle in Cork or Kerry-(no particular reason) but any thoughts? Is it more expensive? What about weatherwise? Much different?
Thanks all!!
Old Apr 13th 2006, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We made it to Ireland!

Originally Posted by Rossiters
Oh dear........shows you how much I didn't know!! I thought you could just drive to Ireland in your car without much fuss. What is this about tax on importing your car??Please explain. Help!!
this guy was pretty helpful, like I said, we decided to ditch the idea of bringing our car because we'd only owned it for four months befor we moved http://www.soyouwanttodrive.com/article.php?id=83

By the way, thanks BSG and crazydaisy for your good advice. Slowly digesting....all the valuable information!! One quick question, originally we were looking to settle in Cork or Kerry-(no particular reason) but any thoughts? Is it more expensive? What about weatherwise? Much different?
Thanks all!!
Not sure how it compares to anywhere to be honest.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Ophelia29 is an unknown quantity at this point

this guy was pretty helpful, like I said, we decided to ditch the idea of bringing our car because we'd only owned it for four months befor we moved http://www.soyouwanttodrive.com/article.php?id=83

Not sure how it compares to anywhere to be honest.
Thanks ever so much for your advice and help. if you have any more ideas please feel free to email me. Many Thanks Ophelia
[email protected]
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Thanks all!!
I think a good plan maybe is to start with www.daft.ie as you can click on different areas and compare house prices buying and rent (and get to look at pictures to check out the type of properties you get for your money). Cork is quite a large base so should be plenty of jobs but from past research on Kerry the jobs seem to be far less there and I'm not sure they have the same kind of expansion that Galway is having (I may be wrong though!). I went into irishjobs.ie and just did a keyword search on the following places - I didn't search for any job just searched for all types of occupation to see what came up and the following numbers of jobs came up:

Cork 3400
Limerick 1100
Galway 1400
Shannon 200
Kerry 275

I know this gives a very rough guide but it maybe useful to get a feel for where jobs are right now. Hope it's a help anyway!

Daisy
Old Apr 14th 2006, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: We made it to Ireland!

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
I think a good plan maybe is to start with www.daft.ie as you can click on different areas and compare house prices buying and rent (and get to look at pictures to check out the type of properties you get for your money). Cork is quite a large base so should be plenty of jobs but from past research on Kerry the jobs seem to be far less there and I'm not sure they have the same kind of expansion that Galway is having (I may be wrong though!). I went into irishjobs.ie and just did a keyword search on the following places - I didn't search for any job just searched for all types of occupation to see what came up and the following numbers of jobs came up:

Cork 3400
Limerick 1100
Galway 1400
Shannon 200
Kerry 275

I know this gives a very rough guide but it maybe useful to get a feel for where jobs are right now. Hope it's a help anyway!

Daisy
Thanks all. Cheers BSG for that website about importing cars into Ireland. We found it very useful. We were planning to update our car before we moved. Guess we won't be doing that now, huh?! Not especially if we're gonna be taxed 28%!!!

Thank you to Daisy for checking out about employment and giving a rough idea of what's out there. We found a good website www.jobcentreonline.com
that had lots of building jobs for John and it gave quite a good indication of where the demand is. All other job sites we'd been on didn't seem to have much for the job he was looking for.

Hope life is going well for all of you and Happy Easter!!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Thanks all. Cheers BSG for that website about importing cars into Ireland. We found it very useful. We were planning to update our car before we moved. Guess we won't be doing that now, huh?! Not especially if we're gonna be taxed 28%!!!

Thank you to Daisy for checking out about employment and giving a rough idea of what's out there. We found a good website www.jobcentreonline.com
that had lots of building jobs for John and it gave quite a good indication of where the demand is. All other job sites we'd been on didn't seem to have much for the job he was looking for.

Hope life is going well for all of you and Happy Easter!!
Happy New Easter to you too! I bought the family Winnie the Pooh eggs just so I could collect the toy inside! So far I have Winnie, 2 piglets and a Tigger - just holding out for an Eeyore!!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future

Happy New Easter to you too! I bought the family Winnie the Pooh eggs just so I could collect the toy inside! So far I have Winnie, 2 piglets and a Tigger - just holding out for an Eeyore!!
this is a helpful web site for anyone moving to Ireland,
www.oasis.gov.ie
Old Apr 16th 2006, 12:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

With two boys of that age I'd say you might want to think about whether to put them into mixed or single sex schools...assuming there is a choice which there is where we are. Other than a bit of research to get an idea..I'd leave it til you get here. Best to chose schools where you can actually see them.
Worth bearing in mind that most of the "regular" schools in the Republic of Ireland are controlled by the Roman Catholic church, which may be an issue if that's not the kind of education you want for your children. Availability of non-Roman Catholic education is limited (only a few schools) so do your research if this is important to you.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 1:50 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Worth bearing in mind that most of the "regular" schools in the Republic of Ireland are controlled by the Roman Catholic church, which may be an issue if that's not the kind of education you want for your children. Availability of non-Roman Catholic education is limited (only a few schools) so do your research if this is important to you.
JAJ - I've seen you mention this before and it's obviously a concern of yours. There are so many nationalities in Ireland now that to have schools that only teach Catholicism is just not possible in many cases. As in the UK, NZ, US and I'm sure Australia, there are Catholic only schools that are highly desired by parents for their children because of the standard of teaching. However, in Ireland's rural schools the chances are that there will be more than a handful of non-Catholic pupils. 30 years ago my best friend at school was Church of Ireland - it was never an issue. Muslim students would probably outnumber Church of Ireland these days. My nephew has two Muslim children in his class alone - in a school out in the middle of nowhere. My sister is a Religion teacher - a new curriculum came into force about 4 years ago - it's now called Religions of the World. Yes, the majority of the population would put Roman Catholic down on a Census form but it's not pushed down anybody's throats anymore.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: We made it to Ireland!

Originally Posted by Batty
JAJ - I've seen you mention this before and it's obviously a concern of yours. There are so many nationalities in Ireland now that to have schools that only teach Catholicism is just not possible in many cases. As in the UK, NZ, US and I'm sure Australia, there are Catholic only schools that are highly desired by parents for their children because of the standard of teaching. However, in Ireland's rural schools the chances are that there will be more than a handful of non-Catholic pupils. 30 years ago my best friend at school was Church of Ireland - it was never an issue. Muslim students would probably outnumber Church of Ireland these days. My nephew has two Muslim children in his class alone - in a school out in the middle of nowhere. My sister is a Religion teacher - a new curriculum came into force about 4 years ago - it's now called Religions of the World. Yes, the majority of the population would put Roman Catholic down on a Census form but it's not pushed down anybody's throats anymore.

Thanks Batty for the very in-depth info-it's a great help. Thanks to JAJ for your concern and help too. I'm a Roman Catholic myself but hubby is Church of England. Neither one of us are fussed about religion at all so not really a problem what kind of school our boys go to as long as its a good school with good standards of teaching and not too far from home!!

Dear BSG, have you any views on pros and cons of a single sex school as opposed to a mixed sex school? My boys have always been in a mixed sex schooling environment from the time they went to nursery through infant school and junior school. So, they're used to the mixed environment but not sure which is more favoured out in Ireland. Which are there roughly more of?
Thanks as always!!

Avie.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: We made it to Ireland!

We are abound with Easter eggs again. We say it every year.......we're only gonna get the boys 1 egg each as they get enough from grandparents and auntie & uncle and friends!!

So, we bought them 3 each!!!! Go figure..........
(that's why I always blame the parents!!)

Good luck in your search for Eeyore!!!

Avie.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

debf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Just joined the forum (well I think I have anyway)
We are retiring to a village called Feenagh Co Limerick in the not too distant future Has anyone got any useful info about do and donts bank accounts pensions being paid into accounts Any info will be gratefully recd
Debf

BSG[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debf
Hi Just joined the forum (well I think I have anyway)
We are retiring to a village called Feenagh Co Limerick in the not too distant future Has anyone got any useful info about do and donts bank accounts pensions being paid into accounts Any info will be gratefully recd
Debf

BSG
[/QUOTE]

Hi and welcome

You might get more response if you start your own thread, its a bit lost here, go back to the Ireland forum , above the second thick blue line down on the left is a box (NEW THREAD) just click on that and put in your text then click submit box.