We made it to Ireland!

Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:34 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We made it to Ireland!

Originally Posted by din
hehe, now it's getting complicated...;-) I am German actually, moved to Ireland for a year, then moved to Oz for a couple of years, ran into visa trouble over there (&$£*! immigration), and moved back to Ireland in 2003...So I'm all over the shop, really ;-) 4 hour commute sounds fun - but if it makes you feel better - it takes me an hour for 3 km drive home from work...stupid Irish town layouts, not prepared for high volumes of traffic at peak hours (and don't get me started on Irish drivers...)
Irish drivers - I know (I'm not one btw) so you can get started all you like! You sound a bit like us - my hubby is a New Zealander travelling on a Dutch passport. We met in Den Haag and lived there for 2 years then moved to London, another 4 years there, then back here in '99. Now we're making plans to go to NZ. Can't say life is boring though
Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:58 pm
din
Forum Regular

din is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
Irish drivers - I know (I'm not one btw) so you can get started all you like! You sound a bit like us - my hubby is a New Zealander travelling on a Dutch passport. We met in Den Haag and lived there for 2 years then moved to London, another 4 years there, then back here in '99. Now we're making plans to go to NZ. Can't say life is boring though

wow, your life sounds like a lot of fun and excitement, too! Funny how some people end up with the craziest life stories spanning continents...;-) But at least life will never be boring - always stories to tell! ;-)
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 2:07 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Irish drivers?
I am new to this forum (now frequent the Oz one). Lived in Ireland (between Gorey and Courtown) just before we left. Lived in Ireland for 9 years. Great country but glad we escaped to Oz.
Anyway, re: drivers, in case you don't know, Ireland is the ONLY country (in Europe, maybe the world!) where you drive as learner without having a qualified driver in the car).
Also, many years ago, the driving test examiners went on strike so when the back-log of tests exceeded 12-months, the govt decided to pass all those on the waiting list. Nice one!
So even if a driver has a full licence, they may never have passed a test.

So now you know - if you didn't already, why the driving is bad - let alone the quality fo the roads.

Andrew
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 5:54 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Irish drivers?
I am new to this forum (now frequent the Oz one). Lived in Ireland (between Gorey and Courtown) just before we left. Lived in Ireland for 9 years. Great country but glad we escaped to Oz.
Anyway, re: drivers, in case you don't know, Ireland is the ONLY country (in Europe, maybe the world!) where you drive as learner without having a qualified driver in the car).
Also, many years ago, the driving test examiners went on strike so when the back-log of tests exceeded 12-months, the govt decided to pass all those on the waiting list. Nice one!

So now you know - if you didn't already, why the driving is bad - let alone the quality fo the roads.

Andrew
I had a boyfriend who got his licence that way at the time. He crashed twice when I was in the car! Maybe I should have stated 'ex-boyfriend' LOL
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 8:15 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I had a boyfriend who got his licence that way at the time. He crashed twice when I was in the car! Maybe I should have stated 'ex-boyfriend' LOL
Glad you verified that. Most people don't believe.
Can't help laughing at the amount of cars in Ireland without wing mirrors as most cannot judge the width of the roads.
You can see why the Nissan Micra is number one!

PS: Guinness is better in Ireland as it is manufactured withour preservatives as a barrel is normally drunk quite quickly. The export stuff that is shipped contains preservatives and other scrummy E numbers. Hence the awful taste.

Andrew
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:30 am
din
Forum Regular

din is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you verified that. Most people don't believe.
Can't help laughing at the amount of cars in Ireland without wing mirrors as most cannot judge the width of the roads.
You can see why the Nissan Micra is number one!

PS: Guinness is better in Ireland as it is manufactured withour preservatives as a barrel is normally drunk quite quickly. The export stuff that is shipped contains preservatives and other scrummy E numbers. Hence the awful taste.

Andrew
neither can most judge the width of their cars...(drivers in Ireland are my pet hate...I could rant and rave for hours...). The best one is the blaming of everything else (the roads, the weather, other people, the government, George Bush) when one of those 18 year old kids gets killed while speeding while drunk in a crappy, unmaintained car with L-plates with a massive confidence but no idea what to do...

What's wrong with a *real* driver education (I hate to say it, but the German system is pretty good - though expensive) with real teachers, designated learner's cars, and a theory education (the current theory test is a bloody joke! You simply need to learn those questions by heart - and that's it...So you don't even know why some rules are the way they are, and that some of them may even make sense...)

I better stop.....
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Irish drivers?
Lived in Ireland (between Gorey and Courtown)
If you were still here, we'd be neibours now!

Andrew
Jeezz! well that certainly DOES explain a LOT!!

Nice to hear from you *s*

BSG
Old Apr 11th 2006, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Rossiters is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: We made it to Ireland!

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
Well, we've been here three weeks now, our stuff arrived earlier this week, kidlets started school last Monday, the house is fantastic, job is going well and even the weathers been pretty good.

All in all it was a fairly easy move, (did I really just say that??? :scared: ) but yes, considering everything thats MIGHT have gone wrong it was infact, a very straightforward move. We've got just about everything organised but rather than rattle on here at the moment I'll just say I'm happy to share my experiences on things such as opening the bank account, buying cars, schooling and such like. I'm no expert by any manner of means but as I said, happy to share anything that might be useful, just ask.......don't even THINK about asking me about internet connections *kicks her dial up tin can connection*..it's the one bad thing about our move but has more to do with where we moved to than bad service.

It's been a busy, fantastic few weeks but well worth it!...an no, I haven't tried the Guinness yet!

BSG
Hi BSG,
My I'm Avie(of John+Avie-my hubby has a started a few threads of his own) and we both are new to this forum. I have enjoyed reading about all your experiences, good and bad. It's been very helpful and I feel I'm slowly getting a better picture of Ireland. I say slow...ly because I know we have a lot to learn!!!

John's absolutely in love with Ireland and always has been. Me? I've never been and neither has our 2 boys(they're 7 and 10-delightful ages.....not!!) I'm all for the move, anything for a change of quality of life coz we certainly ain't getting it here in England.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you if there was anything we should arrange(school wise) before we moved to Ireland or can it all wait till we actually got there? Likewise regarding renting a house, did you get that done from Scotland or had you made a trip to Ireland before you moved to find a house?

I have a million questions but that will do for now(says she!) Grateful for any light you can shed on this...Thanks!
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rossiters
Hi BSG,
My I'm Avie(of John+Avie-my hubby has a started a few threads of his own) and we both are new to this forum. I have enjoyed reading about all your experiences, good and bad. It's been very helpful and I feel I'm slowly getting a better picture of Ireland. I say slow...ly because I know we have a lot to learn!!!

John's absolutely in love with Ireland and always has been. Me? I've never been and neither has our 2 boys(they're 7 and 10-delightful ages.....not!!) I'm all for the move, anything for a change of quality of life coz we certainly ain't getting it here in England.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you if there was anything we should arrange(school wise) before we moved to Ireland or can it all wait till we actually got there? Likewise regarding renting a house, did you get that done from Scotland or had you made a trip to Ireland before you moved to find a house?

I have a million questions but that will do for now(says she!) Grateful for any light you can shed on this...Thanks!

I'm just running through for now so just a short(!!) one to answer the questions you raised, but truly...holler me with anything..if I can help in any way I'm more than happy to.

Refresh my mind where your moving to, if your other half has already mentioned it sorry...brain like a sieve.

With two boys of that age I'd say you might want to think about whether to put them into mixed or single sex schools...assuming there is a choice which there is where we are. Other than a bit of research to get an idea..I'd leave it til you get here. Best to chose schools where you can actually see them. Schools here don't always look very pretty but the education is second to none...if a little old fashioned.

On the other hand, I rented a house via daft.ie and everything was done over email...cept the deposit ofcourse which is a pest to send over (we used a money transfer thing but can't remember what it was called). The further away from the cities you get the more likely you are to get a more laid back attitude. My own landlord rented to me without seeing us (with a dog), accepted a deposit sent via the banks...offered to have the phone connected to save me the bother...and picked us up from the airport, including the dog..and drove us over two hours to the house. Over a year later it's still a great relationship.

Don't forget to bring an extra (long)copy of the boys birth certificates and apply for child allowance as soon as you get here (300 euro a month for two of them) because its taking six months to process. (nice bonus when they do though!).....and allow about 500 euro to get the boys everything they need for school....you may have read in other threads that we have to buy every book, jotter etc they will use.

Have to run but shout if you need me..welcome to go to private messages too if you want.

Good luck, you're making a great move..we've never looked back

BSG
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

john+avie is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!!! Wexfords lovely,my family origanally came from New Ross-very nr.by.In fact a guy with my name built a left handed castle there called Rathmacknee-Yes I`m left handed too! You must visit it! All the best to you all,hope all continues to go well for ya.
Well, we've been here three weeks now, our stuff arrived earlier this week, kidlets started school last Monday, the house is fantastic, job is going well and even the weathers been pretty good.

All in all it was a fairly easy move, (did I really just say that??? :scared: ) but yes, considering everything thats MIGHT have gone wrong it was infact, a very straightforward move. We've got just about everything organised but rather than rattle on here at the moment I'll just say I'm happy to share my experiences on things such as opening the bank account, buying cars, schooling and such like. I'm no expert by any manner of means but as I said, happy to share anything that might be useful, just ask.......don't even THINK about asking me about internet connections *kicks her dial up tin can connection*..it's the one bad thing about our move but has more to do with where we moved to than bad service.

It's been a busy, fantastic few weeks but well worth it!...an no, I haven't tried the Guinness yet!

BSG
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Rossiters is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: We made it to Ireland!

I'm just running through for now so just a short(!!) one to answer the questions you raised, but truly...holler me with anything..if I can help in any way I'm more than happy to.

Refresh my mind where your moving to, if your other half has already mentioned it sorry...brain like a sieve.

With two boys of that age I'd say you might want to think about whether to put them into mixed or single sex schools...assuming there is a choice which there is where we are. Other than a bit of research to get an idea..I'd leave it til you get here. Best to chose schools where you can actually see them. Schools here don't always look very pretty but the education is second to none...if a little old fashioned.

On the other hand, I rented a house via daft.ie and everything was done over email...cept the deposit ofcourse which is a pest to send over (we used a money transfer thing but can't remember what it was called). The further away from the cities you get the more likely you are to get a more laid back attitude. My own landlord rented to me without seeing us (with a dog), accepted a deposit sent via the banks...offered to have the phone connected to save me the bother...and picked us up from the airport, including the dog..and drove us over two hours to the house. Over a year later it's still a great relationship.

Don't forget to bring an extra (long)copy of the boys birth certificates and apply for child allowance as soon as you get here (300 euro a month for two of them) because its taking six months to process. (nice bonus when they do though!).....and allow about 500 euro to get the boys everything they need for school....you may have read in other threads that we have to buy every book, jotter etc they will use.

Have to run but shout if you need me..welcome to go to private messages too if you want.

Good luck, you're making a great move..we've never looked back

BSG
Thanks so much for the reply. As always, so full of info and so helpful. We really appreciate this. We know we really want to move to Ireland but as of yet still have no idea to what county!!! Ideally we'd like to stay in the south/west coast, not in the cities, more rural but not completely out in the sticks!! We'd like to be surrounded by countryside or the sea or both(aahhh...this would be perfect!)but it really depends where John would have more chances of finding a job(he's a bricklayer). I'd like to work too but am not fussy what I get initially(I'm currently a teaching assistant in a secondary school and I work specially with kids who have special education needs).

We'd love a house in or near a village and to be near the school/pub/shops would be good. We realise we will be moving somewhere unknown therefore we'd like to be near some local community so we can make friends and integrate. As we have no family or network of any other kind out in Ireland, the last thing we want is to isolate ourselves(though sometimes its a blessing!!) But seriously, we have lived on our road for 9 years and apart from one other family(who are incidentally moving away soon too!), we have nothing to do with any of our other neighbours-couldn't count on them for anything.....no sense of community anymore and everyone is just out for themselves. We've put ourselves out for many neighbours before but either people just take advantage or they just don't want to know.

Anyway.......sorry I got sidetracked there. Can you tell we're itching to get out of this place??

I'll get to the point now(hurrah!! I hear people shouting!) Since you've been there awhile now, can you give me the vibe of the area where you are or nearby areas which you think might have what we're looking for? Cheers. I'll shut up now. Thanks a whole bunch!!
Old Apr 12th 2006, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for the reply. As always, so full of info and so helpful. We really appreciate this. We know we really want to move to Ireland but as of yet still have no idea to what county!!! Ideally we'd like to stay in the south/west coast, not in the cities, more rural but not completely out in the sticks!! We'd like to be surrounded by countryside or the sea or both(aahhh...this would be perfect!)but it really depends where John would have more chances of finding a job(he's a bricklayer). I'd like to work too but am not fussy what I get initially(I'm currently a teaching assistant in a secondary school and I work specially with kids who have special education needs).

We'd love a house in or near a village and to be near the school/pub/shops would be good. We realise we will be moving somewhere unknown therefore we'd like to be near some local community so we can make friends and integrate. As we have no family or network of any other kind out in Ireland, the last thing we want is to isolate ourselves(though sometimes its a blessing!!) But seriously, we have lived on our road for 9 years and apart from one other family(who are incidentally moving away soon too!), we have nothing to do with any of our other neighbours-couldn't count on them for anything.....no sense of community anymore and everyone is just out for themselves. We've put ourselves out for many neighbours before but either people just take advantage or they just don't want to know.

Anyway.......sorry I got sidetracked there. Can you tell we're itching to get out of this place??

I'll get to the point now(hurrah!! I hear people shouting!) Since you've been there awhile now, can you give me the vibe of the area where you are or nearby areas which you think might have what we're looking for? Cheers. I'll shut up now. Thanks a whole bunch!!
Don't worry, it can be a worrying time. Specially with kids to think about. I live on the North of Wexford/South Wicklow border, we actually live in Wexford, the kids go to school Wicklow and Himself works in Dublin. Not sure what the situation would be like for builders but there seems to be a lot of housing estates going up. I would check out the safe pass programme incase he needed it but in truth, we have loads of foreign builders over here, particulary polish
http://www.fas.ie/environmental_trai.../safepass.html

I love where we are, it's the holiday place for Dubliners...sort like Morcombe or Blackpool would be (much MUCH smaller though)...we have sea on one side and mountains on the other, a beach just a few mins walk from the house..a pub or three, and nice neibours although they will keep themselves to themselves but be "there" if you needed them. It's busy in the summer and dead in the winter, each is nice...we like it when the visitors go home though and we get the place to ourselves once again.

We don't have Boots, Marks and Spencers or any of the other shops you might be used to...the closest are an hours drive away..that goes for Argos too. We do have Tesco though.

Life is definatly slower, a year on we still don't get (too) frustrated by that. There is loads of casual work for you to pick up if you were of a mind too. All in all, we're very happy here and I can't see us living anywhere else.

Housing is cheaper here...I mentioned that didn't I??

BSG
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Ophelia29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: We made it to Ireland!

Don't worry, it can be a worrying time. Specially with kids to think about. I live on the North of Wexford/South Wicklow border, we actually live in Wexford, the kids go to school Wicklow and Himself works in Dublin. Not sure what the situation would be like for builders but there seems to be a lot of housing estates going up. I would check out the safe pass programme incase he needed it but in truth, we have loads of foreign builders over here, particulary polish
http://www.fas.ie/environmental_trai.../safepass.html

I love where we are, it's the holiday place for Dubliners...sort like Morcombe or Blackpool would be (much MUCH smaller though)...we have sea on one side and mountains on the other, a beach just a few mins walk from the house..a pub or three, and nice neibours although they will keep themselves to themselves but be "there" if you needed them. It's busy in the summer and dead in the winter, each is nice...we like it when the visitors go home though and we get the place to ourselves once again.

We don't have Boots, Marks and Spencers or any of the other shops you might be used to...the closest are an hours drive away..that goes for Argos too. We do have Tesco though.

Life is definatly slower, a year on we still don't get (too) frustrated by that. There is loads of casual work for you to pick up if you were of a mind too. All in all, we're very happy here and I can't see us living anywhere else.

Housing is cheaper here...I mentioned that didn't I??

BSG
I am moving over to Ireland on my own with my four young children after splitting from partner. Have found a house that i can rent in four weeks time. Need some advice about how to get my furniture over and not paying over the odds. So far i have been quoted £2000 which i think is expensive.(Or is that just me). Very nervous as a big move for me on own. But going to friendly place. Need to take car. Very very nervous
Old Apr 13th 2006, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Hi there - we're moving to County Clare/Galway July of this year. We're hoping to be mid wayish between Galway, Limerick, Shannon and Ennis to give ourselves as many job oppurtunities as possible. I would say that work for builders is pretty good right now as the West is BOOMING big time. I have email alerts on daft.ie (where you register what you're looking for and they email close matches) and most of the ads. being sent are for new builds so I think now is good time to grab the chance while it's there. Shannon has good links to Europe, it's only a 2 hour train ride to Dublin and you're surrounded by countryside, sea and lakes which sounds the sort of thing you're after. I would go on a fact finding mission as flights can be dirt cheap from England and see what ya think as a maybe. Slow internet has been a concern of ours but they are currently undergoing (and in some areas already undergone) installation of higher speed internet.

Good luck!

Daisy
Old Apr 13th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ophelia29
I am moving over to Ireland on my own with my four young children after splitting from partner. Have found a house that i can rent in four weeks time. Need some advice about how to get my furniture over and not paying over the odds. So far i have been quoted £2000 which i think is expensive.(Or is that just me). Very nervous as a big move for me on own. But going to friendly place. Need to take car. Very very nervous
Unfortunatly that price sounds about right, it cost £1000 to ship our stuff last year and we didn't take furniture. Well, a bed and a tumble drier but everything else was our personal and household stuff.

I'd check the tax situation regarding taking your car. I don't know exactly what it is but the tax on imports is apparently quite high, with older cars being taxed as new. You need to check that out though, we just decided to get a car when we got here. Bring your no claims cert from your insurance company and sit down when you go to get car insurance...it's scary

BSG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.