Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to Ireland...

Wanting to move to Ireland...

Old Feb 6th 2006, 5:42 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to Ireland...

Annie,

was your Irish grandmother born in Ireland? (I'm doubting it if she had a part-native-American mother).

If one of your grandparents was born in Ireland, you *might* qualify for an ancestral visa. I cannot remember the exact requirements, but I believe that having a grandparent suffices.

If your grandmother was of Irish descent but was US-born, then you would not qualify.

50,000 Euros is a heck of a salary for a pint puller.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If one of your grandparents was born in Ireland, you *might* qualify for an ancestral visa. I cannot remember the exact requirements, but I believe that having a grandparent suffices.

If your grandmother was of Irish descent but was US-born, then you would not qualify.
It's all changed up recently, made it tougher on the grand folks side, probably need residency requirements an all too...
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:44 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
It's all changed up recently, made it tougher on the grand folks side, probably need residency requirements an all too...
Hi,

I don't know if this will help , but I would think if she definitely has a grandmother who was born in Ireland - she should* be able to apply for citizenship through her grandmother (approval is another thing of course). There is nothing about residency requirements on the application form I have.

I have an " Initial Application for a Foreign birth registration" (FBE) 2006 form in front of me
(FB1B, application on behalf of a minor to have the minor's birth registered)

The exact wording on it is "An application to apply to become an Irish citizen on the basis that the applicant's Grandparent was born in Ireland, or on the basis that the applicant's parent had a grandparent born in Ireland and that the parent became registered as an Irish citizen prior to the applicant's birth, or prior to December 1986)

I'm in the process of filling it out for my son who is claiming citizenship through me to his grandmother - so my son's situation sounds to me a bit like the op's .-" an Irish born grandmother,"

I'm already considered a citizen under the "birth to an Irish born person" ( my mum) so I would think that the OP's mum maybe too. Although I'm considered a citizen - my son is not really claiming through me ( although he is going through my birth etc) if you know what I mean -as I was not born in Ireland, his is sort of going through my mum - his Irish born grandmother.

If she phones the consulate in her country she can get them to send out an application form for a " foreign birth registration 2006" for herself. -

lodgement fees are $200 if aged over 18 and $80 for under 18's ( AU $$ , don't know what the costs are in the US).

If she is approved ( which it states on the form I have; it can take up to 4 months) - then they will send out a passport form with the citizenship certificate

To apply to register her birth with Ireland she needs all original birth /marriage documents ( except for the current ID below*) - her own long birth cert, her mum's long birth cert and her mum's marriage cert
Also her grandmothers long birth and marriage cert.

Her mum's current Id *( if living - if not a death cert) - and her grandmothers current ID* ( or death cert) - these two current ID's can be photocopies , all other documents must be originals

This is some of the requirements on the 2006 form I have for my son . I'm just waiting for my mum's marriage cert and a photocopy of some current ID from her in the post before I lodge my son's application

Hope that helps

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 15th 2006 at 12:13 am.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

They have not changed the "grandparent rule" although that's probably next in line. The recent changes involved citizenship by marriage and automatic citizenship by birth in the country.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:42 am
Account Closed

CelestialAnnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Wanting to move to Ireland...

Hello..I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone that gave me info/advice....it has been much appreciated..........and I thank you!!!!

and hey, if you like......shower me with karma........ha!!

Last edited by CelestialAnnie; Feb 25th 2006 at 9:44 am. Reason: adding sentence.............
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:28 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Wanting to move to Ireland...

Originally Posted by CelestialAnnie
Hello..I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone that gave me info/advice....it has been much appreciated..........and I thank you!!!!

and hey, if you like......shower me with karma........ha!!

Hi Annie

It has been several months since you first posted your intension and desire to immigrate to Ireland. Have your plans of moving there change, if not have you made any progress in finding out if you qualify? I ask this because as an American I'm also considering Ireland as a place to move to.Have you run into many road blocks, also are you thinking of using a agency to guide you through the process? Some say they can be pricey but from what I hear well worth the money because they know all the angles. I truely hope your dream comes true and if you stay focus and not quick to accept no ,you will be living in Ireland.