Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to Ireland...

Wanting to move to Ireland...

Old Oct 29th 2005, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

CelestialAnnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Wanting to move to Ireland...

How does one move to Ireland (live & work) if they are a US citizen but would love to live in Ireland? I do have a passport..I just don't know how to do this or am I even allowed to make this move??? I would love to live in Galway...Ah, so many ?'s. Could someone give me some feedback/advice on this, Please...I would so appreciate it...Annie
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to Ireland...

Originally Posted by CelestialAnnie
How does one move to Ireland (live & work) if they are a US citizen but would love to live in Ireland? I do have a passport..I just don't know how to do this or am I even allowed to make this move??? I would love to live in Galway...Ah, so many ?'s. Could someone give me some feedback/advice on this, Please...I would so appreciate it...Annie
US passport?

http://www.irelandemb.org/ and http://dublin.usembassy.gov/

try that for a start.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:36 am
Account Closed

Wink Re: Wanting to move to Ireland...

Originally Posted by Bob
US passport?

http://www.irelandemb.org/ and http://dublin.usembassy.gov/

try that for a start.
Oh, thank you Bob so much for answering...I will try that as a start..Much appreciated!!! and Yes, it is a US passport...I was born in the US...

Last edited by CelestialAnnie; Oct 30th 2005 at 1:38 am.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, thank you Bob so much for answering...I will try that as a start..Much appreciated!!! and Yes, it is a US passport...I was born in the US...
Hi Annie

Good luck in your research and if you need any help with anything at all, just holler.

BSG
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

How does one move to Ireland (live & work) if they are a US citizen but would love to live in Ireland? I do have a passport..I just don't know how to do this or am I even allowed to make this move???

A US passport doesn't let you live in Ireland (or any country other than the US).

Have you any ties with Ireland? Parents or grandparents born there? An Irish spouse? An Irish employer keen to hire you and sponsor for a work visa?

If you can get the citizenship of another EEA state or Switzerland (again - what ties have you got in terms of descent with these countries) then you could live in the Republic of Ireland on that basis.

Jeremy
Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

Smile Re: Wanting to move to Ireland...

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
Hi Annie

Good luck in your research and if you need any help with anything at all, just holler.

BSG
Thank you BSG...you are too kind & helpful...I may be taking you up on this very soon...So thank you so much in advance!!!! Annie
Old Nov 1st 2005, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

Smile Re: Wanting to move to Ireland...

Originally Posted by JAJ
A US passport doesn't let you live in Ireland (or any country other than the US).

Have you any ties with Ireland? Parents or grandparents born there? An Irish spouse? An Irish employer keen to hire you and sponsor for a work visa?

If you can get the citizenship of another EEA state or Switzerland (again - what ties have you got in terms of descent with these countries) then you could live in the Republic of Ireland on that basis.

Jeremy
Hi, Jeremy thanks for your ?'s & advice...I know that a US passport doesn't mean that I can live in any other country than the US..I think I was answering a ? from someone about where it was from...perhaps??....As for "ties" to Ireland...My mother is 75% Irish (the "Rafferty's" & the "Osteen's" by name)...Great, Grand Parents were born there, not sure re: Grandparents? I'm going to call Mom today to find out "who, what, when, & where?" so that I have all the info I need..If you have any other info or ?'s I need to ask, I would greatly appreciate them..Thanks a bunch!! Annie
Old Nov 1st 2005, 10:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Jeremy thanks for your ?'s & advice...I know that a US passport doesn't mean that I can live in any other country than the US..I think I was answering a ? from someone about where it was from...perhaps??....As for "ties" to Ireland...My mother is 75% Irish (the "Rafferty's" & the "Osteen's" by name)...Great, Grand Parents were born there, not sure re: Grandparents? I'm going to call Mom today to find out "who, what, when, & where?" so that I have all the info I need..If you have any other info or ?'s I need to ask, I would greatly appreciate them..Thanks a bunch!! Annie

If you have a grandparent born there you may be able to register as an Irish citizen. If only a great-grandparent - then it won't be possible and you will have to look at other options already discussed.

Bear in mind that not everybody is entitled to emigrate. Lots of people would like to migrate to the US but have no chance of doing so.

Jeremy
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

eilish22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Couldn't help but read this thread.

I'm confused, how can your mother be 75% irish????? She's either born there or not. That is what you need to establish, if she was then that's good, if not then you may need to look at an alternative route like jeremy said.

What makes you want to move to Ireland anyway?

Good luck with things,

Roisin
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:25 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by eilish22
Hi,

I'm confused, how can your mother be 75% irish????? She's either born there or not. That is what you need to establish, if she was then that's good, if not then you may need to look at an alternative route like jeremy said.
Either mother was born there, or one of *her* parents was born there.

Jeremy
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Talking Re: Wanting to move to Ireland...

Originally Posted by eilish22
Hi,

What makes you want to move to Ireland anyway?

Good luck with things,

Roisin
Hi Roisin...To answer your 1st ?, My mother's mom was full blooded Irish (100%)..& her father was 1/2 (50%) Irish & 1/2 (50%) Native American, Crow to be exact..so when doing the math that would make my Mother 75% (3/4) Irish & (1/4) 25% Crow Indian...& I don't believe she (my mom) would have to be born in Ireland (which she wasn't) to be Irish...right?...I don't think so....As for the other ? about why move to Ireland?...I've just had enough of the "Land of Milk & Honey" being the US as everyone seems to think, there are many people in the US who would love to move somewhere in Europe..maybe you don't see that living there, if you do, & you may see it the other way around...I don't know...but also, I happen to be very attracted to European men, especially the Irish, Scottish & English, Te He!!
So anyway, there you go, a simple life working in a Pub in Ireland seems awful pleasing to me....what can I say?.. I was thinking of Galway...what do you think?.....Thanks, Annie
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:53 am
din
Forum Regular

din is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Wanting to move to Ireland...

Hi Roisin...To answer your 1st ?, My mother's mom was full blooded Irish (100%)..& her father was 1/2 (50%) Irish & 1/2 (50%) Native American, Crow to be exact..so when doing the math that would make my Mother 75% (3/4) Irish & (1/4) 25% Crow Indian...& I don't believe she (my mom) would have to be born in Ireland (which she wasn't) to be Irish...right?...I don't think so....As for the other ? about why move to Ireland?...I've just had enough of the "Land of Milk & Honey" being the US as everyone seems to think, there are many people in the US who would love to move somewhere in Europe..maybe you don't see that living there, if you do, & you may see it the other way around...I don't know...but also, I happen to be very attracted to European men, especially the Irish, Scottish & English, Te He!!
So anyway, there you go, a simple life working in a Pub in Ireland seems awful pleasing to me....what can I say?.. I was thinking of Galway...what do you think?.....Thanks, Annie

Galway is a great city to live in - lots of pubs, lots of young people, some great cultural events, great music, nice landscape around - the only thing that annoys me is the weather (it rains more than anywhere else...) and the traffic situation (jams all the way). With regard to those European men: if you want tall, handsome men with manners, who don't drink too much and generally don't spend all their time in the pub, stay clear of Ireland...(I think I got the last living Irish specimen, and it took me a looong time to find him ;-))

For pub jobs in Galway - there is lots (if you beat the Polish to it, that is...;-)), and the best time to come here is either around Paddy's day, or around Easter, when the tourist season starts again...You can always check the work situation in our very own city newspaper:
www.galwayadvertiser.ie (you can view it as pdf, and towards the back, there's the job section! this is also the best place to look for a house to share...)

Good luck!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:03 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

a simple life working in a Pub in Ireland seems awful pleasing to me....what can I say?.. I was thinking of Galway...what do you think?.....Thanks, Annie
You make it sound so straightforward.

1. You'll earn crap money (with no tips)
2. You'll be living in one of the most expensive cities in what has become one of the more expensive countries in the eurozone.
3. I've never heard of a simple life in an Irish pub.

Just my honest opinion.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by din
Galway is a great city to live in - lots of pubs, lots of young people, some great cultural events, great music, nice landscape around - the only thing that annoys me is the weather (it rains more than anywhere else...) and the traffic situation (jams all the way). With regard to those European men: if you want tall, handsome men with manners, who don't drink too much and generally don't spend all their time in the pub, stay clear of Ireland...(I think I got the last living Irish specimen, and it took me a looong time to find him ;-))

For pub jobs in Galway - there is lots (if you beat the Polish to it, that is...;-)), and the best time to come here is either around Paddy's day, or around Easter, when the tourist season starts again...You can always check the work situation in our very own city newspaper:
www.galwayadvertiser.ie (you can view it as pdf, and towards the back, there's the job section! this is also the best place to look for a house to share...)

Good luck!
Hi din & thank you so much for your info & for the Good Luck..I definitely need it right now.. I'm guessing that you live there (Galway) from what you've written...How very lucky you are!! I'm hoping I can ask other questions about Galway if needed??..and if you have any ?'s about the US, particularly California, feel free to ask..Thanks so much again...Annie
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Iginla
You make it sound so straightforward.

1. You'll earn crap money (with no tips)
2. You'll be living in one of the most expensive cities in what has become one of the more expensive countries in the eurozone.
3. I've never heard of a simple life in an Irish pub.

Just my honest opinion.
Hello Iginla,
First off...I do appreciate your honest opinion, I prefer for someone to be honest w/ me always..& now, I guess if you knew the way my life has been going for yrs., then it would seem "so straightforward" to you. Plus, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "straightforward?" ??Would that be "simple???.." If it is, then I'm all for it! As of now, I don't earn any money, so "crap money" sounds great..& I also happen to live in the "3rd most expensive places" in the US or maybe it was the world??..I can't remember what that poll said now...but I don't care where I live as long as I can be happy...& as of right now (& for a very long time) I have not been & I would love to make a new beginning in a place I've always wanted to see or live in...I'm sorry if I sound harsh in any way, but I've had a very bad & emotional day.... As I told "din", if you have any ?'s about CA (or hey, maybe we can trade lives, ha! ) just let me know...Thanks, Annie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.