US Citizen help

Old Oct 4th 2015, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Kevinsolis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizen help

I need some help, advice, tips just everything basically.

My British girlfriend and I are planning on moving to Ireland, we are getting married here in the US then she is returning to the UK. Then at one point we want to go to Ireland.

What we want to know is: do I need any to apply for any visas BEFORE i go to Ireland. Does she need one?

Can we go to Ireland together or does she have to go there first and then I go over once she has found a place for us to stay?

Do I need to take anything with me when I go to Ireland?

Can I work when I arrive?

Is there any financial requirements?

What do I have to do once I am in Ireland?

What does my girlfriend need to do?
Old Oct 4th 2015, 4:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizen help

You've already been given the answers and the links to the relevant information in your other thread.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

The only answer I got was the one u answered. I just want a more detailed answer
Old Oct 4th 2015, 11:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevinsolis
I need some help, advice, tips just everything basically.

My British girlfriend and I are planning on moving to Ireland, we are getting married here in the US then she is returning to the UK. Then at one point we want to go to Ireland.
What we want to know is: do I need any to apply for any visas BEFORE i go to Ireland. Does she need one?
You won't need a visa. Your fiancée won't need a visa.

Can we go to Ireland together or does she have to go there first and then I go over once she has found a place for us to stay?
You should go together.

Do I need to take anything with me when I go to Ireland?
You should take your passports and marriage certificate with you in your hand luggage.

Can I work when I arrive?
If you are flying directly from the United States to the Republic of Ireland then you should declare your intentions at immigration and present your marriage certificate. You should receive a 'Stamp 4 EUFam' in your passport. This will allow you to live and work in Ireland.

If you intend to enter the Republic of Ireland via the UK, either by land, sea or air, bear in mind that there are no immigration controls between the UK and Ireland so you will have difficulty in obtaining your Stamp 4 at the Irish border. Ideally therefore you should fly together directly from the US to Ireland.

Is there any financial requirements?
There are no financial requirements. Ordinarily your EEA sponsor would be required to fulfil her Treaty obligations in order for you both to remain in Ireland for more than three months, e.g. work, however as your fiancée is a British citizen then there no restrictions on her ability to stay in Ireland under the Common Travel Area agreement in place between the UK and Ireland.

What do I have to do once I am in Ireland?
After you pass through immigration you should apply for your residence card. Note this can and usually does take up six months to be processed so you should make a certified copy of your passport biodata page and immigration stamp at your local Garda station before sending it off so you can evidence your right to live and work in Ireland whilst your application is being processed.

What does my girlfriend need to do?
As a British citizen your fiancée doesn't need to do anything. See my previous answer regarding financial requirements.

The only answer I got was the one u answered. I just want a more detailed answer
Bob est votre oncle.

Bear in mind all this hinges on the limited information you have provided. It wouldn't apply if your fiancée is a dual British/Irish citizen, through birth in Northern Ireland or by descent through an Irish parent for instance, nor would it apply if you were intending to move to Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom, for which you would require a UK spouse visa.

All this information and more is available on the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service website. You should do your own research before going ahead with any of this.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Can she go to Ireland first and then I meet her there? Or is it absolutely recommended that we leave from the US together
Old Oct 5th 2015, 9:36 pm

Can she go to Ireland first and then I meet her there? Or is it absolutely recommended that we leave from the US together
She could go first but it would make it more difficult to prove your status (married to an EEA citizen) when you arrive at the Irish border.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

You could separately fly to UK, take the train to France and then fly to Dublin.
But if it were me I would just take the Holyhead car ferry together and then seek out the immigration bureaucrats after arrival.