Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Update: fourth year in Ireland and back on the dole

Update: fourth year in Ireland and back on the dole

Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:46 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all
Default Update: fourth year in Ireland and back on the dole

I thought I would update you all on how I am doing since I emigrated in 2010.
This is now the start of my fourth year in Ireland and I am now back on the dole.
I decided I had had enough of my job in Dublin, which is now overrun with Polish and Brazilian immigrants. So I quit my job and signed back on the dole.
I then decided to move to Carrick on Shannon, in lovely Leitrim as I have family there and its one of the cheapest places to rent in Ireland due to the chronic oversupply of housing; from the Celtic Tiger boom.
Dublin has become like any capital European city, it is not Irish anymore. One is more likely to hear a Polish or Brazilian accent walking down the street, than an Irish one these days. I got sick of repeating myself to immigrants at work who speak broken English. Good luck to anyone looking for work in Dublin, as you will be competing with thousands of Brazilians.
The Brazilians are now fast overtaking the Polish as the largest ethnic group of immigrants in Ireland. The reason being that despite not being from an EU country, they don't need a visa prior to coming to Ireland. They can come here and then apply for a student visa, which allows them to legally work for 20 hours per week. Then after their 6 month English course at college, they can stay and work as many hours as they like.
I will give you an example of how it is right now in Dublin.
My local cafe owner put a sign up in the window: Staff Wanted, apply within with CV. In the first day 50 people handed in their CV to the cafe owner. 45 of them were Brazilian. That is what you are up against here.
Just look at Gumtree.ie jobs section and you will see the numbers of Brazilians looking for child minding work etc.
Anyway, I didn't emigrate to Ireland in 2010 to live in little Brazil, so I moved to Carrick on Shannon.
All things considered I am better off on the dole here, than working in Dublin.
My rent in Dublin was 850 Euro per month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Here I am paying 300 Euro per month for the same.
I get 188 Euro per week dole, plus 20 Euro per week fuel allowance. Thats 208 Euro per week for doing a zero hour week.
After 6 months here I can claim another 75 Euro per week rent allowance, so I will be living here rent free.
Now the fuel allowance only runs from October to April every year, but the 80 Euro per month nearly covers my entire electric bill so it all helps.
Another reason why I am better off on the dole here, is I got a Medical Card.
This means I don't have to pay 40 Euro to see my GP, and I get free prescription drugs. Private health insurance here is a rip off, and I no longer have to drive to the North to get free NHS GP appointments.
Like many Irish I have now become a cute whore.
My advice to anyone thinking of emigrating to Ireland is don't do it unless you have enough savings to last 2 years.
The country is ****ed. It is getting worse and will be ****ed for the next 5 years minimum.
The Brazilians are now taking the place of the Eastern Europeans that came here in the Celtic Tiger boom years. Be prepared to compete with them for work.
On a positive note, I got a 5 Euro discount on my 2013 Sinn Fein membership renewal due to me being unemployed.

Last edited by Joe-Soap; Feb 19th 2013 at 3:40 am.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:31 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Update: fourth year in Ireland and back on the dole

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
I thought I would update you all on how I am doing since I emigrated in 2010.
This is now the start of my fourth year in Ireland and I am now back on the dole.
I decided I had had enough of my job in Dublin, which is now overrun with Polish and Brazilian immigrants. So I quit my job and signed back on the dole.
I then decided to move to Carrick on Shannon, in lovely Leitrim as I have family there and its one of the cheapest places to rent in Ireland due to the chronic oversupply of housing; from the Celtic Tiger boom.
Dublin has become like any capital European city, it is not Irish anymore. One is more likely to hear a Polish or Brazilian accent walking down the street, than an Irish one these days. I got sick of repeating myself to immigrants at work who speak broken English. Good luck to anyone looking for work in Dublin, as you will be competing with thousands of Brazilians.
The Brazilians are now fast overtaking the Polish as the largest ethnic group of immigrants in Ireland. The reason being that despite not being from an EU country, they don't need a visa prior to coming to Ireland. They can come here and then apply for a student visa, which allows them to legally work for 20 hours per week. Then after their 6 month English course at college, they can stay and work as many hours as they like.
I will give you an example of how it is right now in Dublin.
My local cafe owner put a sign up in the window: Staff Wanted, apply within with CV. In the first day 50 people handed in their CV to the cafe owner. 45 of them were Brazilian. That is what you are up against here.
Just look at Gumtree.ie jobs section and you will see the numbers of Brazilians looking for child minding work etc.
Anyway, I didn't emigrate to Ireland in 2010 to live in little Brazil, so I moved to Carrick on Shannon.
All things considered I am better off on the dole here, than working in Dublin.
My rent in Dublin was 850 Euro per month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Here I am paying 300 Euro per month for the same.
I get 188 Euro per week dole, plus 20 Euro per week fuel allowance. Thats 208 Euro per week for doing a zero hour week.
After 6 months here I can claim another 75 Euro per week rent allowance, so I will be living here rent free.
Now the fuel allowance only runs from October to April every year, but the 80 Euro per month nearly covers my entire electric bill so it all helps.
Another reason why I am better off on the dole here, is I got a Medical Card.
This means I don't have to pay 40 Euro to see my GP, and I get free prescription drugs. Private health insurance here is a rip off, and I no longer have to drive to the North to get free NHS GP appointments.
Like many Irish I have now become a cute whore.
My advice to anyone thinking of emigrating to Ireland is don't do it unless you have enough savings to last 2 years.
The country is ****ed. It is getting worse and will be ****ed for the next 5 years minimum.
The Brazilians are now taking the place of the Eastern Europeans that came here in the Celtic Tiger boom years. Be prepared to compete with them for work.
On a positive note, I got a 5 Euro discount on my 2013 Sinn Fein membership renewal due to me being unemployed.
From a Plastic Paddy to a cute hoor all in the space of four years. You've copped yourself on to be sure.

I'm down the road from you in Roscommon. If you miss all them Brazillians you can always come to Roscommon as we're snowed under with 'em.

Be prepared to get some abuse from Cuthbert Rizla as I don't think he'll like the content of your update post lol.

Last edited by sickntired; Feb 20th 2013 at 10:33 am. Reason: add extra sentence
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:47 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Yes, I have family in Roscommon and they told me all about the Brazilians. Its like Sao Paulo there now. We don't get so many in Leitrim, more Polish.
I think after a couple of years living here you take your rose tinted glasses off and see what its really like. One has to be a cute whore these days if you want to survive! Cuthbert Rizla is gone from here now by the way.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:55 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I used to see him pop up on the States board. Every time he posts I would just laugh as he managed to gather so many biters.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I used to see him pop up on the States board. Every time he posts I would just laugh as he managed to gather so many biters.
Some of his trolling was funny though about the Knackers.
How are you Londonuck? Fancy coming back to Ireland and giving it another go.
Its really ****ed here now, worse than when I emigrated to be honest with you.
But I am still glad I left London and survived. Its mad how many English are in Carrick on Shannon though; like a generation of Plastic Paddies in their 30's and 40's who all had enough of England. Walking down the Main Street here is like being in little London with all the accents you hear.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:44 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Some of his trolling was funny though about the Knackers.
How are you Londonuck? Fancy coming back to Ireland and giving it another go.
Its really ****ed here now, worse than when I emigrated to be honest with you.
But I am still glad I left London and survived. Its mad how many English are in Carrick on Shannon though; like a generation of Plastic Paddies in their 30's and 40's who all had enough of England. Walking down the Main Street here is like being in little London with all the accents you hear.
Loved living there but it was the worst decision we ever made. Its not all roses here cos being a graphic designer, ive had nothing. But since coming back I worked at the airport on the runway marshalling and now for transit driving small buses to transport disabled or elderly passengers who cannot use the normal transit system. Big union job and one for life. I earn far more doing this than graphic designing. I had to pass two driving tests and other stuff to get in.

Funny though. I used to do shopping trips to Newry from Greystones... now we go over the American border cos its cheaper.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:06 pm
Banned

Loved living there but it was the worst decision we ever made. Its not all roses here cos being a graphic designer, ive had nothing. But since coming back I worked at the airport on the runway marshalling and now for transit driving small buses to transport disabled or elderly passengers who cannot use the normal transit system. Big union job and one for life. I earn far more doing this than graphic designing. I had to pass two driving tests and other stuff to get in.

Funny though. I used to do shopping trips to Newry from Greystones... now we go over the American border cos its cheaper.
Fair play to you for getting work. Life is funny, you never know where it will take you or what job you will end up in. I mean when you were sat in your Taxi in Greystones, you would never have thought you would end up where you are now.
My only real regret is that I didn't emigrate 10 years earlier than I did; in the Celtic Tiger boom years. Madness, but I wish I hadn't missed it all. Now its like walking around a war zone after the war ended. Just walking wounded everywhere. The thing is, I thought 10 years before wasn't the right time to emigrate from London as things were going alright for me then. Actually it would have been the right time. It would be great to have a cystal ball instead of hindsight wouldn't it?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:14 pm
Éireann go Brách

Fair play to you for getting work. Life is funny, you never know where it will take you or what job you will end up in. I mean when you were sat in your Taxi in Greystones, you would never have thought you would end up where you are now.
My only real regret is that I didn't emigrate 10 years earlier than I did; in the Celtic Tiger boom years. Madness, but I wish I hadn't missed it all. Now its like walking around a war zone after the war ended. Just walking wounded everywhere. The thing is, I thought 10 years before wasn't the right time to emigrate from London as things were going alright for me then. Actually it would have been the right time. It would be great to have a cystal ball instead of hindsight wouldn't it?
You'd probably have a huge mortgage round your neck though.

I remember i used to sit outside the Burnaby Pub in Gstones in my cab thinking, how the fk did this happen. Still, the cab taught me about working outside 9-5 Monday to Friday, dealing with the public and probably got me the interview at this transit job. Im actually quite surprised how I can adapt to my environment. I never was like that when young.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:23 pm
Banned

You'd probably have a huge mortgage round your neck though.

I remember i used to sit outside the Burnaby Pub in Gstones in my cab thinking, how the fk did this happen. Still, the cab taught me about working outside 9-5 Monday to Friday, dealing with the public and probably got me the interview at this transit job. Im actually quite surprised how I can adapt to my environment. I never was like that when young.
Mortgage?
No, I would be in jail most likely for doing dodgy property deals.
I would definitely have got caught up in the whole property madness that went on. Credit cards, loans, cars on hire purchase. I reckon I would be in at least 300K of debt by now. Smoking about in a 2006 Range Rover with no tax etc.
You see loads of 2006 and 2007 reg cars, broke property developers around Dublin in their bank owned cars from the boom era with no tax or insurance.
They still have the Rolex and Dubarry boat shoes, but **** all money.
I wonder will there ever be another Celtic Tiger boom?
I think when you get into your 30's and 40's you are more able to handle life's ups and downs, and adapt. Things that would have given you a breakdown in your 20's don't seem to bother you as much. You get tougher and wiser as time goes on. Its the University of life I suppose.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Glad to see you are doing so well Londonuck me old. If ever I fly into your airport,I will look out for you!!!!! Pleased for you mate. Over here in sunny Espana,I am still trying to sell and move to sunny Oirland!!! Could happen. Had an estate agent call on spec today telling me that our village has become very popular lately,he can see more people wanting to move here. Oh yeah.
Sean,keep plugging away mate. And learn Spanish. The Brazilians will appreciate it!!. And I am sure there is the perfect job out there for you and will come soon.
I can taste the Guinness as I type.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
And learn Spanish. The Brazilians will appreciate it!!.
Except that they speak Portuguese.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
Glad to see you are doing so well Londonuck me old. If ever I fly into your airport,I will look out for you!!!!! Pleased for you mate. Over here in sunny Espana,I am still trying to sell and move to sunny Oirland!!! Could happen. Had an estate agent call on spec today telling me that our village has become very popular lately,he can see more people wanting to move here. Oh yeah.
Sean,keep plugging away mate. And learn Spanish. The Brazilians will appreciate it!!. And I am sure there is the perfect job out there for you and will come soon.
I can taste the Guinness as I type.
Good luck with selling your home michaleen oge. You are doing the right thing getting out of Spain, its worse than Ireland by all accounts.
I think my ideal jobs would be either; tea taster as Barry's factory, or Irish Immigration Officer. I could really put my heart and soul into either of those two jobs.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Except that they speak Portuguese.
And broken English...
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:46 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

And broken English...
In one of your posts you mention that Brazillians can't get welfare, wrong. My woman works for an auctioneers in Roscommon Town and is sick of them renting houses and claiming and getting rent allowance. Some have married Eastern Europeans, thus changing their status, others must have worked and paid social insurance for two years and are claiming JB. They have their feet under paddies table, and they'll be hard to shift.

Another point you made is that you get fuel allowance. I thought you had to have 15 months "service" to qualify?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Good luck with selling your home michaleen oge. You are doing the right thing getting out of Spain, its worse than Ireland by all accounts.
I think my ideal jobs would be either; tea taster as Barry's factory, or Irish Immigration Officer. I could really put my heart and soul into either of those two jobs.
My best mate,Joe,was a tea-taster for Twinings in Dublin all his working life. And he hated the stuff. And all my Brazilian friends' speak Spanish as a second language. I am joking of course,I don't have any Brazilian friends but look forward to making some when we move to Roscommon or thereabouts.
And if you do land your favoured job as Immigration officer,please go easy on the incoming ex-pat Irish family of three with a white husky who will be trying to slide under the barrier!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.