University fees

Old May 31st 2014, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

eunan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: University fees

Hi Jaj

I am from the UK and have been turned down twice already under Habitual Residence.I rent here and showed documentation of proof,I have PPS number,my children are in school here.My income (small)comes from Scotland and because of this they said it did not cover Residency( said interests was not here) However all the jobs I applied for turned me down....I only applied for child benefit for my children,I pay my own rent,bills etc and do not apply for any other allowance.

I am not a scrounger. [As for book grants etc, they generally are for only very low income people or people on the dole. Not quite sure why would think you should be entitled to them.] I was only asking if they would get grants for University and College.It appears I wont according to your comment.Thanks for pointing that out out...

Last edited by eunan; May 31st 2014 at 12:09 pm.
Old May 31st 2014, 12:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eunan
I am from the UK and have been turned down twice already under Habitual Residence.I rent here and showed documentation of proof,I have PPS number,my children are in school here.My income (small)comes from Scotland and because of this they said it did not cover Residency( said interests was not here) However all the jobs I applied for turned me down....I only applied for child benefit for my children,I pay my own rent,bills etc and do not apply for any other allowance.
Did you ask for an internal review of the decision and/or lodge an appeal?
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...e_appeals.html

If you are genuinely settled in the country, and feel the rules have not been applied correctly, you could also ask one of your local TDs to take up the case. As British citizens, you're entitled to vote in most elections (except Presidential elections and referendums), and registering to vote is part of showing settlement in the country.
Old May 31st 2014, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

I am waiting for one to reply( have ask a FG and a FF councillor).However been British there is not a great rush for them to help me I noticed.If you are of a refugee status they cannot get away with turning them down for Residency at the drop of a hat.British immigrants are bullied more easily out of Ireland unfortunately(The sad truth)Will wait to see if a TD will reply to my concerns.Last few days just about given up on anyone answering.
Old May 31st 2014, 9:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am waiting for one to reply( have ask a FG and a FF councillor).However been British there is not a great rush for them to help me I noticed.If you are of a refugee status they cannot get away with turning them down for Residency at the drop of a hat.British immigrants are bullied more easily out of Ireland unfortunately(The sad truth)Will wait to see if a TD will reply to my concerns.Last few days just about given up on anyone answering.
Successful migrants to a new country tend to be resourceful. Seeking information from multiple sources, sorting out what's true from what isn't, not assuming that everyone they speak to knows the answer, and not taking no for an answer unless proven. Resilience is another characteristic of successful migrants, who aren't of a mindset to just give up when things don't work out their way first (or second) time, or assume that there's some conspiracy behind everything.

Public representatives, and their staffers, vary greatly. Although not sure why you would involve a councillor, since it looks like the issues you mention are nothing to do with local government. And while it appears that you may have been incorrectly assessed as not habitually resident, you should challenge yourself to ensure you have researched the rules fully and presented all evidence to support your case. Don't assume that employees of the Department necessarily, a. know all the rules, or b. will assess a particular factor in your favour if you do not supply supporting evidence. And you cannot compare yourself to a refugee who has had to leave their home country with nothing and may not even speak any English, let alone Irish.

You've emigrated to a new country, which means a new set of rules (for everything), and also a new culture, which affects how rules are enforced (or not enforced, as the case may be). It is a normal part of the migrant experience to encounter set-backs, unfamiliar bureaucracy, etc. Against that is the experience of living in a new country, which offers things perhaps your home country does not.

Last edited by JAJ; May 31st 2014 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Hello Jaj

That last post summed up my situation correctly and and will take on board what you said(especially sorting out what is true or isn`t)That fact is I emigrated and they are new rules I am not used to, answers take longer than usual as process is complicated and is very disheartening been continually rejected.I mentioned to a few people about my case and they said phone a TD or councillor as they help out in this department but I am not sure they can help.Thanks for making things a bit more clearer for me,it really helps getting feedback that is wise and honest.Will phone them again next week.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a requirement of civil service, government and similar jobs that you pass an exam in Irish.

Access to university grants etc is not dependant on where you were born but on residence.

A warning to others that a bit of research before moving is a good idea.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 8:13 am
Just Joined

In Irish language or Irish leavers cert?
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 8:53 am
Just Joined

lalasmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
It is a requirement of civil service, government and similar jobs that you pass an exam in Irish.

Access to university grants etc is not dependant on where you were born but on residence.

A warning to others that a bit of research before moving is a good idea.
The requirement for Irish for a civil service job was removed in 1974. You need it for primary teaching or a job that you need to use Irish for
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Right. I live in the past.

I see there is now a body of EU case law on this, eg -

http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/areas...EMPLOYMENT.htm

Last edited by scot47; Jun 2nd 2014 at 12:09 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Right. I live in the past.

I see there is now a body of EU case law on this, eg -

http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/areas...EMPLOYMENT.htm
And that relates to teaching, and yes you do need Irish for teaching.

For Civil Service Jobs you need to have a grade in the Leaving Cert in Maths and Irish OR English.

http://www.careersportal.ie/sectors/...&sq_group_id=6

OP , the exam is called the Irish Leaving Cert, don't confuse that with the subject Leaving Cert Irish.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lalasmum
And that relates to teaching, and yes you do need Irish for teaching.

For Civil Service Jobs you need to have a grade in the Leaving Cert in Maths and Irish OR English.

http://www.careersportal.ie/sectors/...&sq_group_id=6

OP , the exam is called the Irish Leaving Cert, don't confuse that with the subject Leaving Cert Irish.
Seems that in long run students are better to have Irish otherwise will be at a disadvantage on job front,regardless of those new laws.When it comes down to it, at an interview one advantage will be having an Irish leaving cert.Makes sense that schools are pushing it and why so many take this even at pass level.Therefore better to have it on the leavers cert.
I can see why schools require it.Irish was/still is the National language of Ireland therefore should stay an important subject at the schools. Problem is when you enter children at secondary they have much to grasp on top of another language.
In Ireland I suppose more funding would be needed for extra lessons to begin Irish for instance for new citizens and doubt that will ever happen in a recession and cut backs.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Seems that in long run students are better to have Irish otherwise will be at a disadvantage on job front,regardless of those new laws.When it comes down to it, at an interview one advantage will be having an Irish leaving cert.Makes sense that schools are pushing it and why so many take this even at pass level.Therefore better to have it on the leavers cert.
I can see why schools require it.Irish was/still is the National language of Ireland therefore should stay an important subject at the schools. Problem is when you enter children at secondary they have much to grasp on top of another language.
In Ireland I suppose more funding would be needed for extra lessons to begin Irish for instance for new citizens and doubt that will ever happen in a recession and cut backs.
If your child is eligible for the exemption to Irish then they are eligible. If not they have to sit Irish if they are doing state exams, There is no way around it. If any child who is not eligible for an exemption fails English Irish or Maths in the Leaving Cert then they do not have the Leaving Cert. Plenty of children take up a language at secondary school, and I went to school with children who arrived from another country at aged 10 or 11 and went on to get a very good grade in Irish at the leaving cert.

If they are eligible for the exemption for Irish, then there is no issue. Having a grade in Irish at leaving cert really will not be a deciding factor in getting a job down the line. Why on earth would they be at a disadvantage?

This is a different country from the UK: I moved from Ireland to Denmark and certainly did not expect things to be the same as in Ireland.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 1:00 am
JAJ
Retired

Actually, it's dependent on a mix of both citizenship and residence, depending on circumstances. But not birthplace.

But you don't have to rely on the school system. As far as I know, there are a lot of organisations that promote the Irish language, and they may provide lessons that are either free, or at limited cost.

And your son's school may well be willing to help him start to learn Irish, if he is interested. Have you asked them?

Originally Posted by lalasmum
If any child who is not eligible for an exemption fails English Irish or Maths in the Leaving Cert then they do not have the Leaving Cert.
Really? Wouldn't they get credit for whatever subjects they passed. Although they may not meet minimum requirements to enter university, etc. if critical subjects are failed.