Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK and EU married couple moving to Ireland

UK and EU married couple moving to Ireland

Old May 24th 2021, 5:40 am
Just Joined

jeanlenin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK and EU married couple moving to Ireland

I'm sure this has been covered before but it would really reassure me to check whether I have this correct.

My wife is american but can claim Hungarian (so EU) citizenship, so this would entitle her to live in Ireland, if she wished. I'm a british citizen, so I would also automatically be allowed to live and work in Ireland, because of the CTA. I have a great-grandparent born in Dublin (my father has an irish passport but didn't acquire it until after I was born), so from what I've read I believe I could apply for an Irish passport after living in Ireland for 3 years, which I would like to do.

This could be very important for us, as it would allow my wife and I to stay together without visas, permits, residence cards, and renewals etc.

Do I have that right? So if my wife has an EU passport and I have a UK one, we could both live in Ireland without any problems? If so..........where would be good???
Old May 24th 2021, 8:35 am
Just Joined

cjftiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK and EU married couple moving to Ireland

Hi. From my research it seems that any UK citizen can live and work in Rep of Ireland indefinitely due to the common travel area(CTA) but as RoI is not part of Schengen any EU citizen can only legally stay for up to 3 months without applying for residence. I hope I am wrong as I´m in a similar situation.
Old May 24th 2021, 8:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a valid British passport and your wife has a valid Hungarian passport then you both have the right to live in the Republic of Ireland.
Old May 24th 2021, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cjftiger View Post
Hi. From my research it seems that any UK citizen can live and work in Rep of Ireland indefinitely due to the common travel area(CTA) but as RoI is not part of Schengen any EU citizen can only legally stay for up to 3 months without applying for residence. I hope I am wrong as I´m in a similar situation.
I'm pretty sure that Schengen is just that you don't get your passport checked when moving between countries in the Schengen area, I'm pretty sure that any EU citizen has the right to live and work in any other EU country without visas, residence permits etc.
Old May 24th 2021, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
If you have a valid British passport and your wife has a valid Hungarian passport then you both have the right to live in the Republic of Ireland.
Merci, this really could be a life saver/game changer for us.
Old May 24th 2021, 8:46 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjftiger View Post
You seem to be conflating EU Freedom of Movement rights with the Schengen Area - these are two separate issues.
Old May 24th 2021, 8:54 am
Just Joined

If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland, you do not require a visit or holiday visa to travel to Ireland. You have the right to enter and reside in Ireland for a period of up to 3 months simply by presenting a valid passport or national identity card; no other formality is required.

Members of the Schengen area can move and live freely without the need of applying for residency.
Old May 24th 2021, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeanlenin View Post
I'm sure this has been covered before but it would really reassure me to check whether I have this correct.

My wife is american but can claim Hungarian (so EU) citizenship, so this would entitle her to live in Ireland, if she wished. I'm a british citizen, so I would also automatically be allowed to live and work in Ireland, because of the CTA. I have a great-grandparent born in Dublin (my father has an irish passport but didn't acquire it until after I was born), so from what I've read I believe I could apply for an Irish passport after living in Ireland for 3 years, which I would like to do.

This could be very important for us, as it would allow my wife and I to stay together without visas, permits, residence cards, and renewals etc.

Do I have that right? So if my wife has an EU passport and I have a UK one, we could both live in Ireland without any problems? If so..........where would be good???
As mentioned by BritInParis, you both have the right with a valid British passport and a valid Hungarian passport. Where would be good just depends on your personal preferences and situation.
Nowhere is really that far and I can drive from Galway to Dublin in 2 1/2 hours and if I lived in Killaloe would be in Cork in less than 2 hours.
Old May 24th 2021, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
As mentioned by BritInParis, you both have the right with a valid British passport and a valid Hungarian passport. Where would be good just depends on your personal preferences and situation.
Nowhere is really that far and I can drive from Galway to Dublin in 2 1/2 hours and if I lived in Killaloe would be in Cork in less than 2 hours.
Thank you, this really could make a huge difference for us, that there is a country we could both reside in without any legal headaches, and without getting too political, I'm not that keen on what the UK is doing at the moment.

We both work from home, so as long as there is decent-ish broadband we should be fine (we have been living in hungary for 4 years without a problem), and some of my work colleagues are based in N Ireland, and my dad has some family in the south, so this is very appealing to me as an idea.
Old May 24th 2021, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, this really could make a huge difference for us, that there is a country we could both reside in without any legal headaches, and without getting too political, I'm not that keen on what the UK is doing at the moment.

We both work from home, so as long as there is decent-ish broadband we should be fine (we have been living in hungary for 4 years without a problem), and some of my work colleagues are based in N Ireland, and my dad has some family in the south, so this is very appealing to me as an idea.
Overall Ireland has a lot offer and if you can work from home that gives you more options. No doubt housing is the biggest cost these days, so avoiding Dublin can save thousands and buying is often better than renting with the lack of rentals available. Car insurance quotes can be a shock to some and you really need patience to negotiate, so don't be fooled. Other than that, I can't complain and find it more relaxed than England. We are 2 people working from home and have Three broadband which costs 30€ monthly and you have your Lidl's and Aldi's here too, so not expensive. I prefer driving and usually take the car to Spain which is also easy enough these days.
Old May 24th 2021, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Overall Ireland has a lot offer and if you can work from home that gives you more options. No doubt housing is the biggest cost these days, so avoiding Dublin can save thousands and buying is often better than renting with the lack of rentals available. Car insurance quotes can be a shock to some and you really need patience to negotiate, so don't be fooled. Other than that, I can't complain and find it more relaxed than England. We are 2 people working from home and have Three broadband which costs 30€ monthly and you have your Lidl's and Aldi's here too, so not expensive. I prefer driving and usually take the car to Spain which is also easy enough these days.
We are very quiet people so wouldn't need the bright lights of the big city, just somewhere with half-decent broadband, a few supermarkets and some nice walks would do fine. We lived in fairly rural Hungary for 4 years and liked it. It might even be beneficial for my work as we're moving into the ROI as a market, this is actually what made me think of it as a living option (and kick myself that I hadn't seriously considered it before making other decisions).

Are you originally from the UK? If so, is it difficult to open bank accounts and that kind of thing in Ireland? Or can you just apply for jobs etc with a british passport?
Old May 25th 2021, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are very quiet people so wouldn't need the bright lights of the big city, just somewhere with half-decent broadband, a few supermarkets and some nice walks would do fine. We lived in fairly rural Hungary for 4 years and liked it. It might even be beneficial for my work as we're moving into the ROI as a market, this is actually what made me think of it as a living option (and kick myself that I hadn't seriously considered it before making other decisions).

Are you originally from the UK? If so, is it difficult to open bank accounts and that kind of thing in Ireland? Or can you just apply for jobs etc with a british passport?
10 Years in Ireland now and moved from Kent. Bank account will usually require proof of address and ID. Anybody can apply for a job and having British or Irish nationality won't make a difference.
Old May 25th 2021, 10:57 am
Just Joined

10 Years in Ireland now and moved from Kent. Bank account will usually require proof of address and ID. Anybody can apply for a job and having British or Irish nationality won't make a difference.
Brilliant, thank you. Are there any books or guides that you would recommend, that explain day to day things like taxes, bank accounts etc?

I checked with the Irish passport office, and the gentleman said that although each individual case is obviously judged on its merits, in theory with an irish great-grandparent and living in Ireland, I can apply for citizenship. So this is looking like more and more of an attractive option for us.
Old May 25th 2021, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Actually you have a good point. As you married your wife can get an UK Passport. Job done!!

Otherwise its 3 months and lots of paper work police checks etc..etc..etc.

Old May 25th 2021, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Brilliant, thank you. Are there any books or guides that you would recommend, that explain day to day things like taxes, bank accounts etc?

I checked with the Irish passport office, and the gentleman said that although each individual case is obviously judged on its merits, in theory with an irish great-grandparent and living in Ireland, I can apply for citizenship. So this is looking like more and more of an attractive option for us.
Most information can be found here:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...o_ireland.html

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...tizenship.html

The bigger challenge is of course finding out where you want to live and although Ireland is a small country, it's still larger than the Netherlands/Belgium combined.