British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   Transit time in Dublin airport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/transit-time-dublin-airport-918038/)

savannah_boy Oct 5th 2018 6:52 pm

Transit time in Dublin airport

Hi everyone I have some questions about transit time in Dublin airport.

This Aer Lingus flight EI 122 arrives at 5:15AM from the US and my connection on Aer Lingus EI 262 to BHX leaves at 6.30AM
Is this enough time between the two? If the first flight is delayed will Aer Lingus honour me on to the next available flight?

Secondly I looked at return flights from BHX to the US via transit in Dublin. Is 1.5 hrs enough time to get through US pre clearance at Dublin airport?

All of the flights were connected so I assume the airline thinks it works but what is the reality though?

Thanks in advance

scot47 Oct 8th 2018 3:48 pm

Re: Transit time in Dublin airport

Why take the risk ? Have a stopover. Relax.

shanemac2012 Oct 22nd 2018 10:16 pm

I would say yes to both. If you booked the onward flight to BHX as one flight then my understanding is that Aer Lingus would honour it if any delay was not your personal fault, e.g. you do not go walkabout in Duty-Free and miss your flight. Dublin Airport is relatively small and getting from one side to the other is 20 mins max, for a walking passenger. There are very good DAA (Dublin Airport Authority) staff on the ground who are there to help passengers, and almost anyone in a uniform will point you in the right direction of a gate.

1.5 hours to get through US Pre Clearance should be more than enough, although it probably depends on the time of day you hit it. However, once you get through that and go around the corner there is the usual security check, x-ray frisking etc. I dont think it has ever taken me anywhere close to 1.5 hours to clear both, but give yourself as much time as possible. Do duty-free etc. the other side!. Safe travelling!

OrangeMango Dec 9th 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by shanemac2012 (Post 12581573)
I would say yes to both. If you booked the onward flight to BHX as one flight then my understanding is that Aer Lingus would honour it if any delay was not your personal fault, e.g. you do not go walkabout in Duty-Free and miss your flight. Dublin Airport is relatively small and getting from one side to the other is 20 mins max, for a walking passenger. There are very good DAA (Dublin Airport Authority) staff on the ground who are there to help passengers, and almost anyone in a uniform will point you in the right direction of a gate.

1.5 hours to get through US Pre Clearance should be more than enough, although it probably depends on the time of day you hit it. However, once you get through that and go around the corner there is the usual security check, x-ray frisking etc. I dont think it has ever taken me anywhere close to 1.5 hours to clear both, but give yourself as much time as possible. Do duty-free etc. the other side!. Safe travelling!

If you're not a US citizen, facing a US immigration officer is often a dreaded event. They often seem to practice cross examination questions and are sometimes even rude to the point were one asks themselves if one is welcome in the US at all. At US airports the queues can be endless, often waiting up to 2 hours is expected for this questioning exam. This is even the case if your intentions in the US are clear, honest and your criminal record is clean. It's likely that at one of those pre clearance desks at Dublin airport the questioning is more humane and bearable.