Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow?

Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow?

Old Jun 18th 2020, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow

Dear All,

Have just read the official statement from the "Queens Swan Marker" at The Swan Sanctuary Charity in Shepperton, Middlesex, which says very clearly that despite a great deal of press regarding the "Ban The Bread" campaign.

Swans have been fed on bread for hundreds of years without causing any ill effects and "especially in the winter months" bread is a very important source of energy for the birds.

Sounds good to me!
Old Jun 18th 2020, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow

I don't know about Bray, but there are certainly more pelicans visiting here this year. They are currently pissing off the geese by sitting at the foot of the trail that the geese use to get in and out of the water. I offered the pelicans some porridge (it's healthier than bread) in order to get them to move, but they didn't show much interest.

Old Jun 18th 2020, 5:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
..... I offered the pelicans some porridge (it's healthier than bread) in order to get them to move, but they didn't show much interest.
Have you tried flavoring the porridge with chopped up fish?
Old Jun 18th 2020, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently that's not such a bad idea...however... you must make sure not to give any to the ducks.

I have it on good advice that if you give porridge to the ducks...it will make them quackers.