Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow?

Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow?

Old Jun 13th 2018, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow?

Several years ago when I used to work in Ireland I would often stay at the Royal Hotel in Bray for weeks on end and on many occasions especially when the kids were on holiday from school I travelled across from the U.K. with my wife and three kids. When I was in Dublin my family would buy loaves of bread each morning and walk down to the mouth of the River Dargle on the outskirts of Bray and feed the swans. At that time there were literally dozens of swans at that particular location. Are the swans still there... does anyone know?
Old Jun 29th 2018, 12:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow?

Tbf it's a pretty obscure question. Twenty seconds on Google Street View tells me there were still swans there in September 2014. Unless anyone has information to the contrary I would suspect they are still there today.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow?

Thanks BritInParis... I'll take a look.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sidgold
So... I guess the swans have all gone then?
Not sure about the location, but they still seem to be there. Only in Galway, but lots of swans there and I seem to be seeing a lot more than a few years ago.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Moses2013,

Its one of my kids fondest memories of Ireland.

Best Regards
Sid.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Dask is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow

Any up-date on the swans? ... please drop us a line... I"d love to know?
You will be happy to hear I saw some there the other day. They have actually done a fair bit of work in that area in Bray over the last year or so, walkway along river etc
Old Mar 8th 2019, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Are there still swans at the mouth of the River Dargle, Bray, County Wicklow

Thanks Dask,
Its a lovely part of the world & I can still remember the River Dargle & all the wild wonderful countryside.
If you are living in Bray or nearby... you're very lucky.

Thank you for the up-date.
My very Best Regards.

PS.- We also used to play a nine hole golf course just outside Bray off the main road heading south towards Wexford. It overlooked the Sugar Loaf Mountain. Is that that still there... I wonder?
Old Apr 18th 2019, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Dask,

Please let me know... how far can you walk along the banks of the River Dargle from Bray & what's it like underfoot?

Best Regards
Sid.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Dask,

Please let me know... how far can you walk along the banks of the River Dargle from Bray & what's it like underfoot?

Best Regards
Sid.

Old Apr 18th 2019, 2:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dask
You will be happy to hear I saw some there the other day. They have actually done a fair bit of work in that area in Bray over the last year or so, walkway along river etc.
It's good to know that the swans are gainfully employed, not just bobbing around on the water waiting for bread handouts.
Old May 13th 2019, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi There, Since your last comments I've done some research & apparently those particular swans used to work at the "Swan Vesta" factory. ... I can't be sure but I heard recently that they'd been sacked for match fixing.

Please let me know if you here anything else.
Best Regards
Sid.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 6:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Poisonous for swans, innit? Bread.
Old Sep 21st 2019, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Just wondered if anyone had anything to add... any up-dates on the swans? Regards Sid.
Old Sep 21st 2019, 6:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What they tell us here is not to feed bread to the ducks and geese because it just isn't suitable for them. They get fat and their wings don't grow as long or strong so it's harder for them to fly.
Old May 16th 2020, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Surely it must be better to feed the swans...than to see them starve?

Has anyone any updates...please drop me a line?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.