British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   starting a small campsite in ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/starting-small-campsite-ireland-824252/)

tonymac83 Feb 6th 2014 8:45 am

starting a small campsite in ireland

Hi,

After several months of researching starting a campsite in eastern Europe, I intend to start the research ball rolling with Ireland.

There seems to be quite a few dotted around...does anyone use any or tour around Ireland. What do people think?

cheers, tony

:D

Moses2013 Feb 6th 2014 10:30 am

Re: starting a small campsite in ireland

Originally Posted by tonymac83 (Post 11115916)
Hi,

After several months of researching starting a campsite in eastern Europe, I intend to start the research ball rolling with Ireland.

There seems to be quite a few dotted around...does anyone use any or tour around Ireland. What do people think?

cheers, tony

You'll probably get many comments saying it's Ireland, so why a campsite (because of the weather). My view is that the Brits (& Irish) are often very negative when it comes to outdoor activities. The weather in Northern France is the same, but there are plenty of campsites that work there. As mentioned, we have quite a few in Ireland and some are doing well. My question, why didn't it work in Hungary and why have you picked Ireland now? Have you got money to buy land and start from scratch, or just want to run an existing business?

tonymac83 Feb 6th 2014 12:00 pm

Hi Moses,

Hungary is still very much still a possibility and have thoroughly researched that area of Europe.

The reason to have a look at Ireland is purely because its closer to home (north west England) amongst other reasons like same language.

It's a very viable option in Hungary and I've got a very good business plan (I'm business educated) and capital to make a start. Whether Ireland is a viable option is all depending on property, location and obviously local planning.

I've modernised houses before etc and would be looking at doing this in Ireland to an existing property with the right land and building or even converting existing outbuildings into toilets showers etc!

sickntired Feb 7th 2014 9:38 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tonymac83 (Post 11115916)
Hi,

cheers, tony

Attachment 116156

The joys of camping in sunny Roscommon.

tonymac83 Feb 7th 2014 9:42 am

so you're recommending I have a look around Roscommon then?!

:rofl:

sickntired Feb 7th 2014 9:53 am

Originally Posted by tonymac83 (Post 11117763)
so you're recommending I have a look around Roscommon then?!

I really wouldn't know much about camping, but there's a a lot of lakes in Roscommon and the fishing is good. Roscommon, Mayo and Leitrim will get you a lot of land for your money compared to other places.

tonymac83 Feb 7th 2014 10:07 am

Compared to say cork?

sickntired Feb 7th 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by tonymac83 (Post 11117785)
Compared to say cork?

Land around any city will be expensive as people want to live there for the jobs that are there. West Cork will be expensive as it is very touristy.

Moses2013 Feb 7th 2014 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by sickntired (Post 11117790)
Land around any city will be expensive as people want to live there for the jobs that are there. West Cork will be expensive as it is very touristy.

Have to agree and you'll have more competition there. Mayo would be a good choice and you'll get something decent for your money. Fishing is a good seller + I've seen that they're advertising Ireland with a new TV spot in Germany. No matter where you go it's very hard to make a living with a camp site but if it's done well who knows. I don't really know if Hungary is a good choice, sure it's cheap but is there really a market for foreigners???

tonymac83 Feb 7th 2014 2:43 pm

Yea I've been searching intially around the southwest as a starting point, purely because of the tourist thing.

As i've said to many people before, I'm not doing this to make money, but to spend more time at home with my family, mortgage free and a bit more care-free from shift work and the rat race.

I'm not doing this as a money spinner, but to improve my quality of live, to meet more people, to work outdoors, have a few animals, grow some veg etc!

As for Hungary, yea it's cheap, but there is definately a market for campsites, there's a few british owned ones in and around that area that are doing very well! Camping over there is not for the locals really, but for the Austrians, Dutch, Germans etc

Englishmum Feb 7th 2014 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by tonymac83 (Post 11118116)
Camping over there is not for the locals really, but for the Austrians, Dutch, Germans etc

Just had to smile at your comment. I'm currently living in Switzerland (Lake Zug, between Zurich and Lucerne). From around Easter until mid-October the local TCS campsite has lots of visitors with touring caravans and a few tents; many are Swiss but also Germans, Dutch, Austrians. However they seem to like to stay for a few weeks or even longer.....they even set up their own little garden space, grow a few plants in pots and even bring their garden gnomes lol!

I've seen them do this at campsites in the Lido area of Venice

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/camping-tcs.html

tonymac83 Feb 7th 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks englishmum!

Having been many times, I too have experienced this! They like to make a proper holiday of it and I think many see it as their main holiday for the year!

People can stay for as long as they like at my campsite (wherever that might be!)

nolanger Feb 11th 2014 6:26 pm

Ever hear of the British tourists who visited Ireland and stayed in a caravan park? They found it rough and complained to the Tourist Board only to be told they had stayed at a halting site :)

sickntired Feb 11th 2014 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by nolanger (Post 11124739)
Ever hear of the British tourists who visited Ireland and stayed in a caravan park? They found it rough and complained to the Tourist Board only to be told they had stayed at a halting site :)

It's not too bad at a Halting Site. The entertainment is great - daily bare knuckle boxing matches and sulky racing on the local roads.

tonymac83 Feb 11th 2014 7:16 pm

thanks for the constructive words of advice chaps!