Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Spouse work permit advice please

Spouse work permit advice please

Old Dec 9th 2007, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

petelsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse work permit advice please

I am a Rep of Ireland (and Australian) citizen and have been in the UK for 2 weeks. My wife and 4 kids all Australian citizens are soon to join me in the UK on a one-way ticket. We intend to stay for 2 years.

Does anyone know if they need a visa ? to stay in the country and for my wife to work as a Registered Nurse ?

Thanks

Originally Posted by 007
Thanks JAJ, you're right after further research, as it currently stands, I have found my soon-to-be aussie wife will not be able to live in the ROI unrestricted as she has not lived in an EU country.

I believe the Irish govt. has been taken to court over this matter, as the other EU countries have no such rule. From what I've read the ruling is due early June.

Hopefully they come to their senses before we want to move.

If all else fails I guess we just go to NI for 6 months and then apply for the EU1 to live and work in the ROI.

I wasn't wanting to do this though, as the the greedy British govt will charge $1300 for the visa for my partner.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 7:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petelsmith
I am a Rep of Ireland (and Australian) citizen and have been in the UK for 2 weeks. My wife and 4 kids all Australian citizens are soon to join me in the UK on a one-way ticket. We intend to stay for 2 years.

Does anyone know if they need a visa ? to stay in the country and for my wife to work as a Registered Nurse ?

Thanks
Read post 8, I think that is a similar case to yours ?
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Read post 8, I think that is a similar case to yours ?
it is similar but not the same, but thanks anyway
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petelsmith

Children should have Irish passports, otherwise they will need visas.

Wife needs a spouse visa (either U.K. rules or EEA rules) before leaving Australia: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

She can't switch status to spouse in the U.K. if she arrives as a visitor. Not sure if the same restriction applies under the EEA rules. And she risks being refused entry if she turns up as a tourist with a plan to work.

http://www.immigrationboards.com is a good U.K. immigration resource.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

tipp1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi 007...
Do you mind me asking what is bringing you to Ireland? Why such a desire when so many Irish people are looking to travel the other direction for better weather and lifestyle.
Good luck with the wedding and rest of your plans.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:52 am
Just Joined

moving to UK/Ireland for the whole Europe experience, castles, cities, villages, museums, history, culture etc, but Sydney will always be home,