Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Single on wrong side of 40 and thinking of moving to Ireland

Single on wrong side of 40 and thinking of moving to Ireland

Old Jun 1st 2014, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

blueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the rough
Default Single on wrong side of 40 and thinking of moving to Ireland

Just looking for a few thoughts, ideally from others in the same situation. I am a single woman in my early 40s. My parents live in the South West, and I come back to Ireland 3 or 4 times a year to visit them, so I have a fair idea of what real life is like in Ireland rather than an idealistic vision. I also lived there for a year between 2006 and 2007. I am a further education teacher, also qualified to teach English as a Foreign Language, and prior to teaching was a PA so have lots of skills. I am considering a move to Galway City, or a similarly lively place, however the job situation looks pretty dire. I am also anxious about being lonely as I know Ireland is still fairly traditional and is very much about family life. I am ready to throw in the towel with my UK life. Yes, I can always find work here, but I miss my mum and dad, and I need a different kind of life now, albeit a much more modest one. Hope to hear some positive stories. Thank you.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

blueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the roughblueeyes is a jewel in the rough
Default 40 somethng moving to Ireland

...anyone out there?
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40 somethng moving to Ireland

Originally Posted by blueeyes
...anyone out there?
Hi blueeyes. Just seen you posted in other thread. There are jobs available, but the world and certainly Ireland has too many teachers looking for work. There are too many people who wanted to become a teacher over the last few years and now there's an oversupply. I work in IT and every 5th person has a teaching background, so I would suggest looking in other sectors. I'm sure a job agency can help you.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Single on wrong side of 40 and thinking of moving to Ireland

Thanks for your reply Moses, I have also replied to the other thread. Sadly there seems to be little out there in terms of other sectors, other than catering/hotel work in which I have no experience. I would happily do clerical work but very few jobs like this in Kerry, even worse I am not a driver so would be pretty limited. As a single woman, a small city appeals a little bit more than a small town, which is why I love Galway. Again though, not many clerical jobs there so I think I may have to forget about Ireland.
P.s. whilst there is definitely an oversupply of teachers in Ireland, there is still a call and a need in other parts of the world. I worked in Spain a couple of years ago and because of their recession they were desperate for their kids to learn English so they would have more opportunities in the future. Sadly this isn't the right time for me to move back there, but good to know the option is there.

Last edited by blueeyes; Jun 3rd 2014 at 9:27 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply Moses, I have also replied to the other thread. Sadly there seems to be little out there in terms of other sectors, other than catering/hotel work in which I have no experience. I would happily do clerical work but very few jobs like this in Kerry, even worse I am not a driver so would be pretty limited. As a single woman, a small city appeals a little bit more than a small town, which is why I love Galway. Again though, not many clerical jobs there so I think I may have to forget about Ireland.
P.s. whilst there is definitely an oversupply of teachers in Ireland, there is still a call and a need in other parts of the world. I worked in Spain a couple of years ago and because of their recession they were desperate for their kids to learn English so they would have more opportunities in the future. Sadly this isn't the right time for me to move back there, but good to know the option is there.
I know that there are many English teaching jobs in Spain, but the salaries aren't always that great and often just short term contracts, but I'm sure you'll find something. There aren't less jobs in Ireland, but you need to think outside the box. There are plenty of jobs around Galway that aren't catering etc. Saying that, I never had IT experience and got a job offer straight away. IT is a big word, but you have plenty of different departments in an IT/Software company.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 4th 2014 at 6:44 am.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

I earned more than the average pay for a Spaniard as am English teacher over there, and my cost of living was considerably lower in terms of my rent, my food costs and my social life. I have been looking at the FAS website on and off over the last 7 or 8 years and there are certainly less paid jobs now and many more apprenticeships/schemes only for those in receipt of benefit. I also look at agency websites as well as general search engines for jobs in Ireland, and there is little scope fo someone without an IT or technical background, or (as I mentioned before) the Hospitality Industry. I would love to think outside the box, but with no contacts over there (my parents are retired) finances to keep myself going until I find something, I see very little in the way of opportunities. I am glad things worked out for you but based on my years of job seeking, there are not plenty of jobs in Ireland. However the fact that you also don't have an IT background and managed to find a job gives me some hope so thank you for that.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I earned more than the average pay for a Spaniard as am English teacher over there, and my cost of living was considerably lower in terms of my rent, my food costs and my social life. I have been looking at the FAS website on and off over the last 7 or 8 years and there are certainly less paid jobs now and many more apprenticeships/schemes only for those in receipt of benefit. I also look at agency websites as well as general search engines for jobs in Ireland, and there is little scope fo someone without an IT or technical background, or (as I mentioned before) the Hospitality Industry. I would love to think outside the box, but with no contacts over there (my parents are retired) finances to keep myself going until I find something, I see very little in the way of opportunities. I am glad things worked out for you but based on my years of job seeking, there are not plenty of jobs in Ireland. However the fact that you also don't have an IT background and managed to find a job gives me some hope so thank you for that.
There are plenty of jobs, but many aren't advertised online and some of these IT (Software) jobs don't always require a technical background. Of course you read a job description and what they're asking for sounds like you need a degree in sience or something. If you can type, know the basics and are willing to learn people do give you chances. Apart from that, there are plenty of other sectors in Ireland and it justs depends on location, like anywhere.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Think we will have to agree to disagree but thanks for replying to my post.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Think we will have to agree to disagree but thanks for replying to my post.
No problem, but it's just annoying that people think Ireland doesn't have jobs. If you move to the Lake District you'll be in the same situation as moving to Connemara, or another rural place. Sometimes people need to be flexible and think outside the box, or maybe improve their CV. If you have teaching experience, why not try the multinational companies? All big names are present in Ireland and are constantly looking for people with skills.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Globetrotta is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had to join this site in order to have my 5 cents worth; as if I needed another password to remember really at my age. Anyhow, being post 50 (how the hell did that happen) and am considering relocating to Ireland too, having had a corporate career in USA having emigrated there, then returning to UK right before the GFC (who said timing was everything) then embarking on yet another genius idea of Australia. Now, some 5 years later its definitely not for me long term, was wondering as a single wrong side of 50 (okay 54) still loads of petrol/gas in the tank and having done Business Intelligence sales development for an IBM/Cognos platinum partner in 2008/2009 if there are any jobs similar in Dublin et al.? My curiosity is heightened as in my previous incarnation I was in financial operations management and director levels and had IT oversight as it related to my sphere would that hold me in any stead I don't care about starting at a low level. I post this since apparently I cannot use PM until three posting absolutely absurd rule sorry. Anyhow, OP contact me if you would like to chat re the move I too have been in ESL coming here at university level. Again, sorry its so long!
Old Jun 30th 2014, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Globetrotta
I have had to join this site in order to have my 5 cents worth; as if I needed another password to remember really at my age. Anyhow, being post 50 (how the hell did that happen) and am considering relocating to Ireland too, having had a corporate career in USA having emigrated there, then returning to UK right before the GFC (who said timing was everything) then embarking on yet another genius idea of Australia. Now, some 5 years later its definitely not for me long term, was wondering as a single wrong side of 50 (okay 54) still loads of petrol/gas in the tank and having done Business Intelligence sales development for an IBM/Cognos platinum partner in 2008/2009 if there are any jobs similar in Dublin et al.? My curiosity is heightened as in my previous incarnation I was in financial operations management and director levels and had IT oversight as it related to my sphere would that hold me in any stead I don't care about starting at a low level. I post this since apparently I cannot use PM until three posting absolutely absurd rule sorry. Anyhow, OP contact me if you would like to chat re the move I too have been in ESL coming here at university level. Again, sorry its so long!
Welcome to Ireland and with your experience I'm sure something will happen for you.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice

Although I don't have any story to accompany this post, my advice would simply be, if you can do it and make it happen, then go for it

I'm in a similar situation at the moment, feeling very disillusioned with UK life at the minute and feel trapped. I've put all my options on the table in looking for an out for myself, just need some savings behind me and with some planning, I'll make a decision on what to do.

I've been surprised at some of the salaries I've seen in Dublin though, seem to be of a higher standard than the UK, much like Canada, but I suppose that could be relative due to cost of living etc.

All the best,
Nelson
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Globetrotta is an unknown quantity at this point

To Nelson,

It is all about planning and saving what I term a 'bridging plan' between the current and the future so like you I understand feeling trapped, something I have not been accustomed to since the 80's - least I know how to get out of it - he says optimistically. As for Dublin being expensive, it cannot be worse than Australia having been there almost 5 years it's seriously sticker shock and no work to speak of coupled with severe ageism. Lets hope we all get what we wish for.

All the best
Bas (Dual UK and USA Citizen - eligible for Australia - no thanks!).
Old Jul 1st 2014, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nelson1805
Although I don't have any story to accompany this post, my advice would simply be, if you can do it and make it happen, then go for it

I'm in a similar situation at the moment, feeling very disillusioned with UK life at the minute and feel trapped. I've put all my options on the table in looking for an out for myself, just need some savings behind me and with some planning, I'll make a decision on what to do.

I've been surprised at some of the salaries I've seen in Dublin though, seem to be of a higher standard than the UK, much like Canada, but I suppose that could be relative due to cost of living etc.

All the best,
Nelson

We have a lot of Brits (and Irish) on this forum complaining that Ireland is expensive, but when you look at salaries in the UK, I don't understand their problem and ask myself how people can survive in the UK. Dublin isn't cheap, but people forget it's the capital and someone coming from London, Paris or Sydney will actually find Dublin far cheaper. The folk who complain, usually come here and expect Ireland to be the UK, with higher salaries. I live near Galway, which is the fourth most populous urban area and if I were in Leeds with a similiar job, I'd be far worse off and would never have the quality of life I have here.