Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Shipping Personal Belongings

Shipping Personal Belongings

Old Apr 30th 2006, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Default Shipping Personal Belongings

Has anyone moved to Republic of Ireland without getting a job before they arrive? The reason I ask is that on the customs forms for shipping personal belongings, it states that the shipper has to prove that they have a job plus evidence that they will be renting/buying. I presume that this is to prevent people shipping things in and selling them on without actually planning to reside there. Although we're coming over from Canada we are British so work visas are not a problem, but I don't want to run into problems with our 10 boxes of personal stuff like clothes and books being turned around and sent back to Canada!
Old Apr 30th 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Personal Belongings

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Has anyone moved to Republic of Ireland without getting a job before they arrive? The reason I ask is that on the customs forms for shipping personal belongings, it states that the shipper has to prove that they have a job plus evidence that they will be renting/buying. I presume that this is to prevent people shipping things in and selling them on without actually planning to reside there. Although we're coming over from Canada we are British so work visas are not a problem, but I don't want to run into problems with our 10 boxes of personal stuff like clothes and books being turned around and sent back to Canada!

I'd give them a call first. To be honest though, I've found the Irish Authorities, whatever they may be to be very fair and understanding. Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of the police for example but all in all, as a nation they are so helpful and will work with you.

Being a Brit may well help, we seem to get a lot more leniency. Personally, I'd scatter some photgraph albums/pictures in frames, some letters and postcards etc...the sentimental stuff around the boxes and write on the customs forms that it's personal belongings.

Not much help probably and certainly not of the legal side but yes..why not give them a call beforehand and gather together other evidence you don't plan to return like a one way ticket, final bills from your old house..etc.......
Old Apr 30th 2006, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
I'd give them a call first. To be honest though, I've found the Irish Authorities, whatever they may be to be very fair and understanding. Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of the police for example but all in all, as a nation they are so helpful and will work with you.

Being a Brit may well help, we seem to get a lot more leniency. Personally, I'd scatter some photgraph albums/pictures in frames, some letters and postcards etc...the sentimental stuff around the boxes and write on the customs forms that it's personal belongings.

Not much help probably and certainly not of the legal side but yes..why not give them a call beforehand and gather together other evidence you don't plan to return like a one way ticket, final bills from your old house..etc.......
get your landlord to fax you a copy of lease agreement with address of where you will be living
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:02 pm
Lucy Skywalker

Lucy Skywalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, this is someone tangential, but I signed onto this site in hopes of getting this question answered: What is the most economical way for me to ship 15 wine boxes of personal belongings from Dublin to Chicago?

I heard there are cargo ships. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks lads,
Lucy
Old Aug 12th 2006, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lucy Skywalker
Sorry, this is someone tangential, but I signed onto this site in hopes of getting this question answered: What is the most economical way for me to ship 15 wine boxes of personal belongings from Dublin to Chicago?

I heard there are cargo ships. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks lads,
Lucy
Not totally sure on Ireland to U.S. route but our smallish shipment (was meant to be 10 boxes but ended up as 24!) was placed on a consolidated shipment which means they pallette up your stuff and then it waits until a larger shipment is going in that direction. Ours left 7 weeks ago and we're still waiting so it can take some time! Also you will probably need insurance. When we moved from the UK to the US we used excess baggage at www.excessbaggage.com who may be able to help. Coming from Canada to Ireland we used a local shipper at Winnipeg. Good luck with it all!

Daisy
Old Aug 21st 2006, 4:09 pm
Lucy Skywalker

Lucy Skywalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Not totally sure on Ireland to U.S. route but our smallish shipment (was meant to be 10 boxes but ended up as 24!) was placed on a consolidated shipment which means they pallette up your stuff and then it waits until a larger shipment is going in that direction. Ours left 7 weeks ago and we're still waiting so it can take some time! Also you will probably need insurance. When we moved from the UK to the US we used excess baggage at www.excessbaggage.com who may be able to help. Coming from Canada to Ireland we used a local shipper at Winnipeg. Good luck with it all!

Daisy

Thanks lady. I am just going back to researching this again as I head to Dub tmrw. Someone else mentioned another service, but I am no longer able to find that thread. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Lucy