Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Sex for rent issues in Dublin

Sex for rent issues in Dublin

Old Dec 19th 2020, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sex for rent issues in Dublin

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
Speaking as a man, if an (attractive) property owning lady were hypothetically to offer me a free home and lodgings in exchange for mandatory physical relations of the fun kind, I would find it awkward to decline. Where precisely do I find these degrading adverts and do they include photos of the potential offenders? Just asking for a friend.

Well, it depends "mandatory physical relations" when it comes to it may be more interesting than than it seems at first glance. Not too long ago a group of close male friends done time for engaging in acts of a sexual nature, fully consensual you understand, but nonetheless they got prison! It seems their idea of erotic fun was to nail their nether parts to the dining room table. So "mandatory" might not fit the bill or anything else for that matter.
Old Dec 20th 2020, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonboy
Well, it depends "mandatory physical relations" when it comes to it may be more interesting than than it seems at first glance. Not too long ago a group of close male friends done time for engaging in acts of a sexual nature, fully consensual you understand, but nonetheless they got prison! It seems their idea of erotic fun was to nail their nether parts to the dining room table. So "mandatory" might not fit the bill or anything else for that matter.
R v Brown?
Old Dec 20th 2020, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

You are spot on. I had not read up on it since it hit the newspapers but I now see Wikipedia has an article relating to the case and others not dissimilar.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

You are spot on. I had not read up on it since it hit the newspapers but I now see Wikipedia has an article relating to the case and others not dissimilar.
I studied it at law school during the criminal law module
Old Dec 30th 2020, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
I studied it at law school during the criminal law module
From a legal perspective, it can only concern any form of unofficial letting. Nothing written in contract and no security at all. If the female disagrees in sleeping with the landlord once in a while, she would have to vacate the property, most likely at once. As this is legally and morally unacceptable, it certainly won't be written in contract, as it would automatically incriminate the landlord. Also prostitution, accepting money for sex is illegal in Ireland. The same would probably apply for accepting any form of residence for sex.

The problem would be if the landlord only verbally demanded to sleep with the female tenant once, with the objective to get her name on the letting agreement. And even then, there is no guarantee, that she would be getting the letting agreement. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this would be happening in Dublin's letting market, also it's hard to prove in a court of law.....
Old Jan 19th 2021, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

The oldest story in the world!

Indeed, think orangemango has lived a somewhat sheltered life.
It's the first time he's heard of it happening in Ireland too, must go round with his eyes shut...lol
Old Jan 25th 2021, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
Indeed, think orangemango has lived a somewhat sheltered life.
It's the first time he's heard of it happening in Ireland too, must go round with his eyes shut...lol
Not really.

3 years ago, Dublin was the only place where I ever had property viewings with 60 other interested parties. There was no opportunity for me to ever influence the decision in my favour.

The Dublin rental market is very specific in a negative matter, and I've lived in many different places.

Renting in London ( Zone 3 ), UK was easier and way way less competitive when it came to viewings.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

I do not know what it is but I suspect landlords in Ireland are even more averse to paying tax on their income than landlords in any other country? It is not as if Ireland did not have a housing glut not so long ago.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I do not know what it is but I suspect landlords in Ireland are even more averse to paying tax on their income than landlords in any other country? It is not as if Ireland did not have a housing glut not so long ago.
I am not certain, but I think that a whopping 40% of the rental income is taken by the tax man in Ireland. However I may be mistaken about that, as I am not up to date with the laws in Ireland.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I am not certain, but I think that a whopping 40% of the rental income is taken by the tax man in Ireland. However I may be mistaken about that, as I am not up to date with the laws in Ireland.
It's actually 20% but balance at 40%: A tax rate band is the amount of income which will be taxed at a particular percentage (tax rate). The current tax rates are 20% and 40%. A portion of your income will be taxed at 20% and the remainder will be taxed at 40%.

Regardless of that owning a property in Ireland is far more straightforward than other countries.
Old Jan 25th 2021, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Regardless of that owning a property in Ireland is far more straightforward than other countries.
That one I noticed. The prices to buy property in the Dublin area are compared to other cities actually not that expensive, even though a lot of Dubliners would think that.

It's more the cost of renting which seems disproportionately sky high and very very competitive, to the likes I've never seen before, not even London UK.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

This may be the answer to the issue

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1792256.html
Old Jan 15th 2022, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...s-1231063.html
Apparently the subject sex for rent and the rental crisis seems to flourish and bloom in Dublin.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine this happens elsewhere too. But during a housing crisis just seems so unethical (leaving morality out of it).
Old Jan 17th 2022, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Richard8655
I imagine this happens elsewhere too. But during a housing crisis just seems so unethical (leaving morality out of it).
I think the housing crisis in Dublin is often downplayed same as sex for rent issues with words like "it's happening in other cities as well", yes, it does to most likely does, but other cities don't have this kind of housing crisis as Dublin has.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.