RTE rip off

Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:55 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default RTE rip off

Can someone explain why we pay 160 euro for a tv licence in Ireland when RTE has advertising where as the Beeb doesnt, hence the need for a tv licence to pay for programming and of course, Jonathan Ross his annual salary.

Last edited by Londonuck; Oct 15th 2009 at 8:12 am.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Shaunandelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RTE rip off

Pk's Salary.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Can someone explain why we pay 160 euro for a tv licence in Ireland when RTE has advertising where as the Beeb doesnt, hence the need for a tv licence to pay for programming and of course, Jonathan Ross his annual salary.

Small country, cost of public service broadcasting spread over a smaller number of people?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:54 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Small country, cost of public service broadcasting spread over a smaller number of people?
Yea me thinks you are right. I always thought PSB was like the Beeb and when you pay a licence fee you get no commercials.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:01 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Yea me thinks you are right. I always thought PSB was like the Beeb and when you pay a licence fee you get no commercials.
UK Population - 61,383,000
Irish population - 4,156,119

BBC gets over 3billiion a year. Even if everyone in Ireland paid the licence fee, RTE gets significantly less! And, on top of that, it's only allowed take 50% of the licence fee. The other 50% pays the Post Office for collecting it and pays for the Broadcasting Commission etc.

I think RTE does OK on f-all money to be honest!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:25 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.rte.ie/about/images/licence_graph.gif

Here we go what they spend the money on, I dont think they are great station at all, very one sided when it comes to News! never mind the crap that they put on.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Beep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Baby75
http://www.rte.ie/about/images/licence_graph.gif

Here we go what they spend the money on, I dont think they are great station at all, very one sided when it comes to News! never mind the crap that they put on.
I always thought RTE was rubbish..............until I moved to Italy and in comparison to our TV here it's fantastic..........for example three of the tv stations are owned by Berlusconi(the prime minister of the moment) so you can imagine how biased their news coverage is!.....another channel shows Walker Texas Ranger at 8 pm every night and has been doing so for at least 2 years.....The Italian 'who wants to be a millionaire' is on 7 days a week as are various other quiz shows on the other channels and every quiz show has its scantily clad bimbos doing a little dance here and there for no good reason.....arghhhhhhhhhh even Pat Kenny seems good compared to all this..........or maybe not!!!
Old Nov 14th 2009, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

err, speaking of those scantily clad bimbos, are they the same ones who shimmy and shake and then go "beep beep" when they pick a number out of a hat???i seem to remember that programme. was eamonn andrews the compere?? i used to enjoy that show.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:25 am
Just Joined

waffington is an unknown quantity at this point

Blame the bloody 'Late Late Show', it costs an arm and a leg!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beep
I always thought RTE was rubbish..............until I moved to Italy and in comparison to our TV here it's fantastic..........for example three of the tv stations are owned by Berlusconi(the prime minister of the moment) so you can imagine how biased their news coverage is!.....another channel shows Walker Texas Ranger at 8 pm every night and has been doing so for at least 2 years.....The Italian 'who wants to be a millionaire' is on 7 days a week as are various other quiz shows on the other channels and every quiz show has its scantily clad bimbos doing a little dance here and there for no good reason.....arghhhhhhhhhh even Pat Kenny seems good compared to all this..........or maybe not!!!
here here, I also thought the tv in uk and ireland c..p, although when britain do good dramas they are very good (hear a new one is on Jan 31st about Mo Mollam) would love to see it Julie Walters playing her a great actress!!!! here the tv is terrible, lots of game shows, stupid comedys, reality shows, Judge shows (Judy, alex, mathis,pirro to name a few) and constant repeats of csi and cold case. Give me the good old BBC anytime how I miss it and sky: it has really gone down hill here ah well !!!!!!1
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

cissy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=dgjamison;8278182]here here, I also thought the tv in uk and ireland c..p, although when britain do good dramas they are very good (hear a new one is on Jan 31st about Mo Mollam) would love to see it Julie Walters playing her a great actress!!!! here the tv is terrible, lots of game shows, stupid comedys, reality shows, Judge shows (Judy, alex, mathis,pirro to name a few) and constant repeats of csi and cold case. Give me the good old BBC anytime how I miss it and sky: it has really gone down hill here ah well !!!!!!1[/Q
have seen telli in spain yet without sky you would think RTE was great even if you paid for it
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

if you watched the telly in spain,did you ever see a programme called "noche del impacto?" or something close to that translation? it was all about people having accidents and sticking pruning shears in their faces and the like?
it was really gruesome and wouldn't be shown either in ireland or england. a lot of the prog was taken up with bull-fighting and the hilarious things that happened therein. like the bullfighter who got gored up the a--. and the one who was tossed up into the stands. the spanish loved that.
but what sickened me,and it takes a lot,was an episode showing what they do to the bulls inland. they set fire to their horns and chase them through the streets. nah, give me gay byrne any day. hola and welcome.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
if you watched the telly in spain,did you ever see a programme called "noche del impacto?" or something close to that translation? it was all about people having accidents and sticking pruning shears in their faces and the like?
it was really gruesome and wouldn't be shown either in ireland or england. a lot of the prog was taken up with bull-fighting and the hilarious things that happened therein. like the bullfighter who got gored up the a--. and the one who was tossed up into the stands. the spanish loved that.
but what sickened me,and it takes a lot,was an episode showing what they do to the bulls inland. they set fire to their horns and chase them through the streets. nah, give me gay byrne any day. hola and welcome.
Thank you, am enjoying the thread, Yes it sounds sickening and its getting to the stage you wonder how far are people prepared to go to get laughts, the chinese reality shows are to me downright dangerous, agree with you use to love gay byrne too
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

my lad loves the japanese shows, they are really funny. seems to be about degradating the contestants to our delight(or not).
don't know too much about rte,but i remember the night it started so long ago. everything seemed so amateurish and irish!! but it worked. eamonn andrews was my favourite personality. ex-boxer,ex-reporter,and of course brilliant tv presenter. his "this is your life" was never bettered. "now then hughie greene, this is your loife!!!!" "no it bloody isn't" was the greatest reply ever.....
when i left the navy in 71,i managed a shop in the west end of london and as it was next to the bbc i met many of the radio dj's and personalities. i got sick down ed (stewpot)stewarts right arm,ran away from kenny williams when he chased me down gt.portland street with his mother in tow,got john mccrirrick(telly racing pundit)to babysit my golden labrador(who then stripped the wallpaper from his kitchen walls),had many a laugh with peter ustinov,and scared the life out of tony blackburn(he had been threatened with kidnapping and was shadowed by a policeman wherever he went,he was walking up gt.portlant st. early in the morning with his head down and i shouted "BOOOOO".).
richard o'sullivan(robins nest,doctor series etc) became a good friend as did his girl at the time,tessa(she was the model for pretty polly tights). nights out in soho with ray from the undercover squad based in west end central(real sweeney coppers). coming home one morning minus my trousers,now THAT was a night. how i explained it away to my wife was classsic and not to be shared on an open forum!!!!
i miss the good old days. fun today just isn't the same...ah well, i think we all say that. hola and adios(the very limit of my spanish).
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
my lad loves the japanese shows, they are really funny. seems to be about degradating the contestants to our delight(or not).
don't know too much about rte,but i remember the night it started so long ago. everything seemed so amateurish and irish!! but it worked. eamonn andrews was my favourite personality. ex-boxer,ex-reporter,and of course brilliant tv presenter. his "this is your life" was never bettered. "now then hughie greene, this is your loife!!!!" "no it bloody isn't" was the greatest reply ever.....
when i left the navy in 71,i managed a shop in the west end of london and as it was next to the bbc i met many of the radio dj's and personalities. i got sick down ed (stewpot)stewarts right arm,ran away from kenny williams when he chased me down gt.portland street with his mother in tow,got john mccrirrick(telly racing pundit)to babysit my golden labrador(who then stripped the wallpaper from his kitchen walls),had many a laugh with peter ustinov,and scared the life out of tony blackburn(he had been threatened with kidnapping and was shadowed by a policeman wherever he went,he was walking up gt.portlant st. early in the morning with his head down and i shouted "BOOOOO".).
richard o'sullivan(robins nest,doctor series etc) became a good friend as did his girl at the time,tessa(she was the model for pretty polly tights). nights out in soho with ray from the undercover squad based in west end central(real sweeney coppers). coming home one morning minus my trousers,now THAT was a night. how i explained it away to my wife was classsic and not to be shared on an open forum!!!!
i miss the good old days. fun today just isn't the same...ah well, i think we all say that. hola and adios(the very limit of my spanish).
You have lead a great life and met some very famous people, could you imagine even getting close today they are all so into themselves with teir bodyguards ect: They were the good old days, I loved it and still miss them, I talk about them to my kids, they have missed so much of what we had, people were a lot happier then,imo good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.