Reload this Page >

Retiring to Republic of Ireland from UK

Retiring to Republic of Ireland from UK

Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Irishdreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retiring to Republic of Ireland from UK

Hi there!

Our dream is to move and retire to Republic of Ireland, but we have become worried about doing so post Brexit. Our main concern is transferring of our UK state pensions and also claiming healthcare, especially prescriptions, as they are currently free in the UK as we are past retirement ages. I have looked on our government's FAQ page to no avail. Can any kind soul help? Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Republic of Ireland from UK

Originally Posted by Irishdreams
Hi there!

Our dream is to move and retire to Republic of Ireland, but we have become worried about doing so post Brexit. Our main concern is transferring of our UK state pensions and also claiming healthcare, especially prescriptions, as they are currently free in the UK as we are past retirement ages. I have looked on our government's FAQ page to no avail. Can any kind soul help? Thanks
If you receive a UK State pension, you get a medical card in Ireland. Regarding prescriptions, you might want to check here Prescribed drugs and medicines but that should also not be an issue if you are covered through a UK pension.

Of course things can change due to Brexit, but I'd assume anyone who moves now will keep the benefits and it's probably better now than later. Where would you be moving to?
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Moses 2013,

Not sure yet. Still looking but hard to choose as it all seems so beautiful.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Moses 2013,

It won't be long until Zelda will post here, complaining about waiting lists in hospitals, so I better post before she mentions it. I agree that not everything is perfect here, but then again it's not better in many parts of the UK and again depends on area, time you go etc. It's not a problem that's unique to Ireland, so that alone shouldn't put you off. You also have the option of private health insurance etc. and I've also posted many other options that people might want to consider. If it's a worry, here an official website that shows the current waiting times National Treatment Purchase Fund (NTPF)
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you Moses 2013,

Ireland has some amazing areas and I suppose it's down to each individual what they want and like, but most people will recommend areas that have some form of public transport and aren't too far away from bigger towns. At the end of the day, it's you who has to be happy

I don't know your budget, but the East around Dublin is obviously a lot more expensive when it comes to housing, however you have smaller villages and towns around Wexford or Waterford. I live East of Galway and would also certainly recommend areas around Cork . If you don't like rain, maybe stay away from the mountains directly, but coastal areas are better, or where you don't have a huge mountain in front of you. I find people to be very helpful here and I get the impression that people actually look after each other more.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

The Common Travel Area existed well before the EU and the freedom of movement for British Citizens in Ireland is set out in Irish law, so Brexit should not change anything.

Residence rights of UK citizens
Old Jul 25th 2016, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks HKG3. Your comments are most helpful and appreciated.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again Moses. I think we will probably end up around the Cork area, not too far from the sea ideally. Our budget isn't huge but the cottages on offer would cost at least 4 to 5 times as much in Hampshire, so we are amazed. We need a small field or paddock close by to keep our elderly horse and chickens.

Last edited by Irishdreams; Jul 25th 2016 at 6:12 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 26th 2016, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Chrisataylor is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Moses 2013,

I moved back the other way in 2013 and still have a house in Co Kilkenny if your interested

The way of life is very relaxed and the medical benefits can mount up but if you get the medical card and keep all your receipts then you can claim back against any tax you pay on your pension.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Chrisataylor,

Your information is helpful. We are both entitled to free prescriptions now in the UK, but if we have to pay in Ireland then so be it.

We are not sold up this end yet. Should be on the move within a year though. Do you have any pics of your house?
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Chrisataylor,

Your information is helpful. We are both entitled to free prescriptions now in the UK, but if we have to pay in Ireland then so be it.

We are not sold up this end yet. Should be on the move within a year though. Do you have any pics of your house?

This might be interesting for you: Medical Card Prescription Charges - Ireland's Health Service

What are prescription charges?
From 1st December 2013, people with Medical Cards will pay a €2.50 charge for medicines and other items that they get on prescription from pharmacies. The medical card prescription charge was first introduced in 2010.
How much is the prescription charge?
The prescription charge is €2.50 for each item that is dispensed to you under the Medical Card Scheme, up to a maximum of €25 per month, per person or family. Once your pharmacy can identify all of your family members then you should not pay more than €25 per month. The HSE will continue to pay the rest of the cost of your medicine.
What constitutes a ‘Family’ for the purpose of the €25 monthly maximum?
A family is you, your spouse / partner, any children under 16 years of age and any children between 16 and 21 years of age who are in full time education.
What if I or my family pays more than €25 in a month?
The HSE will issue refunds automatically every six months, based on the information received from your pharmacy. However, you can avoid refunds altogether if you and your family visit a single pharmacy and your Pharmacist can identify all of your family members.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks again Moses!
Old Jun 15th 2017, 7:48 am
Just Joined

liamnolan is an unknown quantity at this point

What a helpful topic! Thanks for that.
Can I describe my own situation and ask for advice?
I was born in Dublin too many years ago, escaped to seek my fortune and now my Scottish wife and myself are planning to move ourselves and my business from Norwich to Ireland.
I feel like I have spent a lifetime on this latop checking all sorts of things out and of course have looked at a million properties all over Ireland. Because I will still be running the business into the UK each month I decided on being not far from either Rosslare or Dublin. Rosslare seems the best bet as the house prices are favourable.
The BIG problem - My wife is the one with the brains and she is very worried re the provision of healthcare. As I am Irish then its pretty straight forward for me (I think) but for her? She is aged 64 and although we are not infirm or unwell, she wants to know what the REALITY is of a UK retired person coming across with her hubby to live and what level of private medical insurance might be needed. Looks like there are lots and lots of different health cover plans and its a bit confusing to decide what we will actually need. Any "ballpark" figures on private cover costs and which ones might be best to contact? We hope to buy a place within the next two months.
Sorry for the long question .. good luck to you all, Liam
Old Jun 15th 2017, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Citizens Information page mentioned above has this -

Entitlement to health services
UK citizens who are resident in Ireland are entitled to health services in the same way as Irish citizens who are resident. This means that they may avail of public health services if they are “ordinarily resident”.

UK citizens resident in Ireland whose income is from a UK source and who do not have any income from Ireland may be entitled to a medical card regardless of their means. (Under EU rules, if you are getting a social security pension from another EEA country or Switzerland, or if you are working and paying social insurance in one of these countries, you may qualify for a medical card if you are ordinarily resident in Ireland, provided you are not subject to Irish social security legislation.)
Old Jun 15th 2017, 11:57 am
Just Joined

liamnolan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, appreciated. I have researched some sources of Official information and whilst most of it is helpful I maybe need to chat with some UK citizen who has actually moved across and who has "hands on" experience of what happens when they need medical treatment. Sometimes bureaucracy can tangle us in knots and look more complicated than it really is.
It all seems good so far and I hope to convince the Boss and make a few offers on houses. Cheers, Liam