Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Residence rights of U.K nationals (and their family members)

Residence rights of U.K nationals (and their family members)

Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Ylevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residence rights of U.K nationals (and their family members)

Hi,

I am a citizen of the United Kingdom (and of Israel) and currently living in Israel. I am planning to move to Ireland along with my wife, an Israeli citizen (a non-EU national).

1. As a citizen of the United Kingdom, am I entitled to live and work in Ireland without any conditions or restrictions?

Citizens Information website (Residence rights of UK citizens) states that: “People who are citizens of the United Kingdom (UK) are entitled to live in Ireland without any conditions or restrictions”. Is that correct?

2. Would my wife, a none-EU citizen, be able to move to Ireland to live with me, as well as work there? Would she need to apply for a Visa or a residence permit? Which, if any, kind of document or evidence would she need to provide when she arrives in Ireland?

Citizens Information website (Residence rights of family members) states that: “If you are an EEA or Swiss citizen living in Ireland, then you have the right to bring certain family members to live with you here even if they are not themselves EEA or Swiss citizens”

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residence rights of U.K nationals (and their family members)

Originally Posted by Ylevy
Hi,

I am a citizen of the United Kingdom (and of Israel) and currently living in Israel. I am planning to move to Ireland along with my wife, an Israeli citizen (a non-EU national).

1. As a citizen of the United Kingdom, am I entitled to live and work in Ireland without any conditions or restrictions?

Citizens Information website (Residence rights of UK citizens) states that: “People who are citizens of the United Kingdom (UK) are entitled to live in Ireland without any conditions or restrictions”. Is that correct?
Yes.

2. Would my wife, a none-EU citizen, be able to move to Ireland to live with me, as well as work there? Would she need to apply for a Visa or a residence permit? Which, if any, kind of document or evidence would she need to provide when she arrives in Ireland?

Citizens Information website (Residence rights of family members) states that: “If you are an EEA or Swiss citizen living in Ireland, then you have the right to bring certain family members to live with you here even if they are not themselves EEA or Swiss citizens”

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Yes. Israeli citizens do not require a visa to visit the RoI so you move there and then apply for her EU Residence card as your spouse within three months of arrival using Form EU1. On arrival it might be advisable to have your marriage certificate (plus an English translation if you married in Israel) in your carry-on to show to the immigration officer if requested at the border.

This is assuming your wife isn't entitled to an EU/EEA passport of her own through her parents or grandparents.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your answer, BritinParis!

Regarding your answer (to my second question), in most cases (except for unusual ones), would my spouse be able to receive this Residence card and to be allowed to work in the RoI?

Additionally, do you happen to know how much time does it usually take to get this Residence card? would my wife be allowed to work in the meantime? and in case it takes a long time to issue this Residence card, is there an option to apply in advance, before entering the RoI?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ylevy
Thank you very much for your answer, BritinParis!

Regarding your answer (to my second question), in most cases (except for unusual ones), would my spouse be able to receive this Residence card and to be allowed to work in the RoI?
Yes.

Additionally, do you happen to know how much time does it usually take to get this Residence card? would my wife be allowed to work in the meantime? and in case it takes a long time to issue this Residence card, is there an option to apply in advance, before entering the RoI?

Thanks again!
Legally it cannot take any more than six months although I could not tell you what the average processing times currently are. Your wife would legally be able to work in the meantime although it may be difficult to prove to an employer that she has the right to live and work in the RoI until she receives her residence card. She cannot apply for the residence card until you are living together in the RoI and you are exercising your Treaty rights.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!

I appreciate your assistance very much!

Best,
Yaron