Reload this Page >

Residence permit for Ireland?

Residence permit for Ireland?

Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:25 am
TYE
Just Joined

TYE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residence permit for Ireland?

I have Swedish citizenship, live in the US, and planning on moving to Ireland. I looked into moving to the UK first and was told I don't need a residence permit to do that. But now I look for Ireland and it seems I do need one. Is that right? And if so, where can I get this and how long will it take?

I was planning on getting plane tickets within the week so this really changes things. If it is necessary, is there any way to make this go faster like going without a permit and applying for one while in Ireland or going to England for a few days and applying from there? I'll be getting a one way ticket so they'd probably figure that I'm moving there. I might just have to go to England instead if I have to wait more than a month for this permit. And...I really dont want to do that.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residence permit for Ireland?

republic or not? probably makes a bit of a difference...
Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:50 am
TYE
Just Joined

Republic, yes. The government site says you do

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_count..._national.html

But EscapeArtist.com suggests that you dont

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam20/Residence_2.html
Old Aug 5th 2005, 2:28 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding (I looked into it for my USC Husband) is that you just register at the local police station once you've arrived in Ireland.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 2:29 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a list of Irish Consulates in the US in case any of them are near you.

http://www.irelandemb.org/contact.html
Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TYE
Republic, yes. The government site says you do

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_count..._national.html

But EscapeArtist.com suggests that you dont

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam20/Residence_2.html
I'd go with the governement site mysefl...
Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sibsie
My understanding (I looked into it for my USC Husband) is that you just register at the local police station once you've arrived in Ireland.
didn't they just change everything around last year though?
Old Aug 5th 2005, 6:50 pm
TYE
Just Joined

I contacted the Swedish/Irish embassy and he just copied and pasted what was on the government site:

As a European Union (EU) national, you have the right to stay in Ireland, and regardless of your economic circumstances, you have the right to a residence permit. You can stay temporarily if you are on holidays or working in Ireland for a period of time. You can also stay if you are a student, retired or out of work, as long as you can fund your stay from your own resources. There is no need for any special visa if you are staying for three months or less. If you plan to stay between 3 months and 1 year, or for a longer period, you can apply for a residence permit, to which you are entitled as an EU citizen.

Contact your local police station in order to apply for your residence permit. Bring along a valid passport or identity card and any other documents that relate to your specific circumstances. The authorities may choose to check out your application, in which case a decision will be deferred. You are entitled to receive a decision within 6 months of your application.

For more information on the subject, please see the link below:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_count...sidence+rights

----------

I was probably the first person in months to contact the Swedish/Irish embassy so you'd think he would have put more thought into his reply. I'll contact an American/Irish consulate then, I guess. Registering after I'm in Ireland makes sense, but I don't want to be wrong and be sent back.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:47 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by Bob
didn't they just change everything around last year though?
I thought that was just for the Irish citizenship thing when your parents aren't Irish and you're just born there. I'm very out of touch with my Irishness though.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sibsie
I thought that was just for the Irish citizenship thing when your parents aren't Irish and you're just born there. I'm very out of touch with my Irishness though.
they overhauled the whole system I thought...but they did cull a few things like grandparents giving you citizenship, and have to be a resident for a length of period to claim citizenship etc...though to be honest, I don't really know the full details....USCIS is hard enough to keep track of *l*
Old Aug 6th 2005, 12:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
they overhauled the whole system I thought...but they did cull a few things like grandparents giving you citizenship,
An Irish grandparent is still enough for citizenship. They've changed the rules on automatic citizenship by birth, and at the end of November the facility to register as a citizen by marriage is being closed.

To the OP. There should be no problem in principle living in any EU/EEA state with a Swedish passport, although the hoops you have to go through after arriving vary from country to country. It may also make a difference if you plan to get permanent resident status (over and above EEA rights) and/or become a naturalised citizen.

If you're on a green card in the US you will lose this pretty quickly once you move away. If that's the case have you thought about becoming a US citizen before you leave? It would mean having to file for US tax when overseas (even if you have to pay little or nothing). As far as I know, Sweden changed its laws on 1 July 2001 to allow dual citizenship.

Jeremy
Old Aug 6th 2005, 1:51 am
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by JAJ
As far as I know, Sweden changed its laws on 1 July 2001 to allow dual citizenship.

Jeremy
You're right on that. I have a good friend who's Swedish and has been in the US for over 20 years. Once they changed to allow dual she put in for her US Citizenship.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:30 pm
din
Forum Regular

din is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TYE
I contacted the Swedish/Irish embassy and he just copied and pasted what was on the government site:

As a European Union (EU) national, you have the right to stay in Ireland, and regardless of your economic circumstances, you have the right to a residence permit. You can stay temporarily if you are on holidays or working in Ireland for a period of time. You can also stay if you are a student, retired or out of work, as long as you can fund your stay from your own resources. There is no need for any special visa if you are staying for three months or less. If you plan to stay between 3 months and 1 year, or for a longer period, you can apply for a residence permit, to which you are entitled as an EU citizen.

Contact your local police station in order to apply for your residence permit. Bring along a valid passport or identity card and any other documents that relate to your specific circumstances. The authorities may choose to check out your application, in which case a decision will be deferred. You are entitled to receive a decision within 6 months of your application.

For more information on the subject, please see the link below:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_count...sidence+rights

----------

I was probably the first person in months to contact the Swedish/Irish embassy so you'd think he would have put more thought into his reply. I'll contact an American/Irish consulate then, I guess. Registering after I'm in Ireland makes sense, but I don't want to be wrong and be sent back.

Now, this information is all well and good - but be prepared for a good old laugh at the Garda station - if you're a European citizen, they simply don't give a toss where you stay and if you work here - believe me, many a registration-crazed German has tried, and failed - that is, he/she was sent home and told not to worry. So in theory this residency stuff sounds all important, in pratice, it's way more simple. Just come here with your European passport, and stay...(I've been here two years now, and noone has ever asked me for a residence permit...).
Old Oct 31st 2005, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by din
Now, this information is all well and good - but be prepared for a good old laugh at the Garda station - if you're a European citizen, they simply don't give a toss where you stay and if you work here - believe me, many a registration-crazed German has tried, and failed - that is, he/she was sent home and told not to worry. So in theory this residency stuff sounds all important, in pratice, it's way more simple. Just come here with your European passport, and stay...(I've been here two years now, and noone has ever asked me for a residence permit...).
HAve to agree with Din here. As an EU national (UK) I phoned the Garda station three days after I'd been here for three months, in a right old panic I was because I'd just been told I needed a residence permit.

"As a UK citizen you don't need to do anything unless you want to apply for your passport in five years" was the first and final word on the subject.

Would keep an eye open for changes though in the years to come but as an EU/EEA citizen it's easy as pie to live in another EU/EEA country, just check local legisation ofcourse.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
HAve to agree with Din here. As an EU national (UK) I phoned the Garda station three days after I'd been here for three months, in a right old panic I was because I'd just been told I needed a residence permit.

"As a UK citizen you don't need to do anything unless you want to apply for your passport in five years" was the first and final word on the subject.
British citizens are entitled to apply for naturalisation after 5 years residence. There is no need to hold a residence permit. The law dealing with British citizens goes beyond EEA requirements.

Similarly children born in the ROI to British citizens (under the 2005 rules) are Irish citizens automatically. The usual 3 year residence rule where parents are not citizens does not apply to British citizens.

As far as those from other EEA states are concerned, there was a requirement a few years ago to hold a residence permit in order for residence to be counted for naturalisation purposes. This may have been repealed in the most recent set of legislation.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.