British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   Purchasing a property in Ireland - Questions please, many thanks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/purchasing-property-ireland-questions-please-many-thanks-894051/)

Merlin56 Mar 18th 2017 8:15 am

Purchasing a property in Ireland - Questions please, many thanks

Hello to everyone on the expats board,

I’m new here on this forum and have joined regarding hopefully obtaining some good info on moving to Ireland. Good places and not so good places to move to.

I am looking at buying a house in Ireland, in the Co. Mayo, Leitrim, Cavan, Galway or Roscommon area. I will be viewing properties in each county end of May. The properties I am viewing are rural properties. I am also a UK citizen.

Please could anyone tell me if these areas are a nice place to live, I know as with anywhere in the world you get your good places and bad places, the same as any town in the UK. What I don’t want to do is go ahead with a sale and then find out that the area I have bought in is rife with crime etc. Hence why I am doing some research.

Another question is, can my solicitor who will be doing the conveyancing work apply and get a PPS number for myself if I give him proof of address for myself in the UK, copy of a UK driving licence, copy of bank statements, copy of a UK passport and a UK birth certificate. Do I have to myself visit Ireland, have an interview etc., the reason I ask is I am away a lot of the time contracting and visiting Ireland to get a PPS number would be quite tricky, hence my question if a solicitor could do it for me.

As with any house in the UK you will unfortunately get break ins from time to time, I am a contractor and work away for about 8 weeks at a time, the house will be empty when I’m not there, I will employ the services of an estate agent to keep an eye on the house for me and inform the police that I will be away, maybe they could pass by on a patrol? Is there any more of a risk in Ireland than there is in the UK with an empty house?

Regarding the internet in Ireland, are most rural places connected to the internet or is it still a case of hit and miss where you decide to live?

Many thanks and kind regards

deadshoppingmalls Mar 18th 2017 8:36 pm

Re: Purchasing a property in Ireland - Questions please, many thanks

Ireland is RIDICULOUSLY safe. In all my time living there (24 years)..in a city suburb - I never heard of ANYONE being broken into. Crime is very low, if you want to find trouble, sure you can find it - but unless you live in the roughest parts of the city, places are safe. There are a lot of "holiday" homes owned by people in the cities in places like Mayo, Galway that are empty for weeks at a time that have zero issues. Bear in mind the gardai (police) are overstretched so the odds of getting them to pass by a property are slim to none. But as I say...crime is not an issue in Ireland

What I am more concerned with in your post is the variety of areas - it doesn't sounds like you care where you live. Personally...Roscommon, Cavan and Leitrim are dull places. County Galway is beautiful and place that we hope to retire back to....coastal Mayo is also beautiful.

As for the internet, you'll get broadband as long as you stick close to existing communities - it's been a big policy of the government. The more rural you go...the less likely.

Merlin56 Mar 24th 2017 11:03 am

Many thanks for your reply and input.

My choice of different areas was an overview of where I was looking to purchase a property. I have now narrowed down my choice to 4 properties which I will be viewing in June, one of which is in Co. Galway and the other in Co. Mayo.

Many thanks again for your kind input.

Buzyizzy Mar 29th 2017 10:40 am

Hi
I could written that post a while back! lol
I live on the border of Mayo/Roscommon and I love it. I am quite rural and am in a town land of about 10 houses.
It is totally safe.
If you go on the citizens info site, you can ask for a PPS application form.
Can I ask whereabouts in Mayo you are visiting?
I'm on mobile broadband.

OrangeMango May 28th 2017 7:47 pm

What I am interested in regarding Ireland, would be taxes and fees regarding property ownership?

Anything from "land transfer tax" or "stamp duty" to annual property taxes? I heard annual property taxes in Ireland seem to be rather low? Or lower than in other places? Is the annual property tax really only around 300 - 400 Euros ?

How about other fees and taxes?

Is there a "UK-like" council tax? ( I only heard that there is a bin-charge for garbage? )

Is water still for free?

Moses2013 May 29th 2017 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Merlin56 (Post 12207487)
Hello to everyone on the expats board,

I’m new here on this forum and have joined regarding hopefully obtaining some good info on moving to Ireland. Good places and not so good places to move to.

I am looking at buying a house in Ireland, in the Co. Mayo, Leitrim, Cavan, Galway or Roscommon area. I will be viewing properties in each county end of May. The properties I am viewing are rural properties. I am also a UK citizen.

Please could anyone tell me if these areas are a nice place to live, I know as with anywhere in the world you get your good places and bad places, the same as any town in the UK. What I don’t want to do is go ahead with a sale and then find out that the area I have bought in is rife with crime etc. Hence why I am doing some research.

Another question is, can my solicitor who will be doing the conveyancing work apply and get a PPS number for myself if I give him proof of address for myself in the UK, copy of a UK driving licence, copy of bank statements, copy of a UK passport and a UK birth certificate. Do I have to myself visit Ireland, have an interview etc., the reason I ask is I am away a lot of the time contracting and visiting Ireland to get a PPS number would be quite tricky, hence my question if a solicitor could do it for me.

As with any house in the UK you will unfortunately get break ins from time to time, I am a contractor and work away for about 8 weeks at a time, the house will be empty when I’m not there, I will employ the services of an estate agent to keep an eye on the house for me and inform the police that I will be away, maybe they could pass by on a patrol? Is there any more of a risk in Ireland than there is in the UK with an empty house?

Regarding the internet in Ireland, are most rural places connected to the internet or is it still a case of hit and miss where you decide to live?

Many thanks and kind regards

Can only agree with deadshoppingmalls and Co Galway or Mayo are both amazing places. Of course you can always find trouble where humans are and break-ins can always happen but in general it's pretty safe. Yes, Dublin like any major city has crime hotspots but that's how cities are.

We recently came back from a visit to the UK and I felt so much safer back here in the West of Ireland. After driving through Birmingham and other cities, even the worst places here seemed like paradise:lol:. I don't know your budget and how remote you want to live but there is a sense of community spirit here. We are part of community alert and one of the neighbours (really nice guy) collects €5 each year. If you see anything suspicious, people can text and alert garda and we all receive a warning text. Even neigbours look after each other if they know you are gone etc.

Moses2013 May 29th 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12261951)
What I am interested in regarding Ireland, would be taxes and fees regarding property ownership?

Anything from "land transfer tax" or "stamp duty" to annual property taxes? I heard annual property taxes in Ireland seem to be rather low? Or lower than in other places? Is the annual property tax really only around 300 - 400 Euros ?

How about other fees and taxes?

Is there a "UK-like" council tax? ( I only heard that there is a bin-charge for garbage? )

Is water still for free?

Property tax is based on the value of your home: A link here: Local Property Tax (LPT) - Calculating your liability

Bin charges are seperate and down to each individual. Water is currently still free.

Residential property

Property valueRateUp to €1,000,000 1%Balance2%Exceptions
For people buying their homes under local authority tenant purchase and similar schemes, a maximum amount of €100 is charged in stamp duty.
There is no stamp duty payable on certain transfers between spouses, civil partners and cohabitants – see above.
If you paid VAT on your house, you only have to pay stamp duty on the base price of the house – before the VAT was added. So, for example, if you paid €227,000 (including VAT) for your new house, this is made up of the base price of €200,000 plus 13.5% VAT (€27,000) and you only pay stamp duty on the base price of €200,000 Read more in our document on Value Added Tax.

OrangeMango May 31st 2017 8:38 pm

Thanks. Reason for asking is a possible job offer in the Dublin area.

quote "he following rules apply:

If you are buying a new house from a builder or developer, you will be charged VAT at 13.5% "

13.5% of VAT for a new house? Isn't that a bit much? And what if I buy the new house via a realtor / estate agent ? Can you please explain that?

Moses2013 Jun 1st 2017 7:45 am

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12263683)
Thanks. Reason for asking is a possible job offer in the Dublin area.

quote "he following rules apply:

If you are buying a new house from a builder or developer, you will be charged VAT at 13.5% "

13.5% of VAT for a new house? Isn't that a bit much? And what if I buy the new house via a realtor / estate agent ? Can you please explain that?

The VAT is only for brand new homes that were built by property developers/builders, so certain estates and developments. Otherwise you don't pay any VAT if you purchase a home in Ireland.

OrangeMango Jun 13th 2017 7:03 pm

Can anybody give me a halfway accurate statement on the rental property market in Dublin? Looking at Daft.ie there seems no decent one-bedroom for under 1.300 Euros a month ( public transport close by ) How quickly do these apartments go? Is the market really that tight?

bc2015 Jun 13th 2017 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12272391)
Can anybody give me a halfway accurate statement on the rental property market in Dublin? Looking at Daft.ie there seems no decent one-bedroom for under 1.300 Euros a month ( public transport close by ) How quickly do these apartments go? Is the market really that tight?

Yes the market is crazy at the moment. There are new protections in place to prevent huge rent increases so the prices should stay stable for the moment. Supply is a big issue though.

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zon...pressure-zones

OrangeMango Jun 14th 2017 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by bc2015 (Post 12272518)
Yes the market is crazy at the moment. There are new protections in place to prevent huge rent increases so the prices should stay stable for the moment. Supply is a big issue though.

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zon...pressure-zones

Thanks. Is demand really high, or are prices just artificially kept high? - to make up for the last financial crisis.

I am more inclined to turn the job offer down, as i am not certain regarding housing. And no, sharing is no choice anymore, at my age.

Dublin could quite possibly be no choice, at least longer term renting not.

Regarding buying, the prices seem more reasonable, compared to other European cities and service/condo fees for apartments/condos seem more reasonable than in Toronto.

bc2015 Jun 14th 2017 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12273245)
Thanks. Is demand really high, or are prices just artificially kept high? - to make up for the last financial crisis.

I am more inclined to turn the job offer down, as i am not certain regarding housing. And no, sharing is no choice anymore, at my age.

Regarding buying, the prices seem more reasonable, compared to other European cities and service/condo fees for apartments/condos seem more reasonable than in Toronto.

I think demand is high. They stopped building around the time of the crash and it's only really started again in the last year, so the supply needed hasn't really caught up. Add to that the economy is recovering. For example, in 2008 I started working for a multinational in Dublin which had 30 people employed in Ireland. They now employ more than 1200 people in Dublin and most of these people are immigrants. Replicate this across Google, Facebook, Amazon etc...

Moses2013 Jun 15th 2017 7:59 am

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12273245)

Yep demand is high as mentioned by bc2015 and Dublin has been booming since the so called financial crisis. Lots of companies expanding and hiring from abroad, so these people are mainly looking to rent and there are just not enough rental properties in the city.

You are right that buying does seem more reasonable compared to other European Cities with similar salaries. You can still get a 3 bed semi or terraced house in and around Dublin with garden for 300K but in Frankfurt it would be a small apartment.

sueffun Jun 27th 2017 1:52 pm

Hi
We live in S.Africa and want to retire to Ireland in the near future. I have a British passport and husband an EU passport.
We went to a solicitor in Ireland to get a PPS number when we went on holiday last month and gave copies of passport, proof of residence. No proof of income was required but we had to say what house we were buying, so an address. We didn't buy the house, they just want an address.
There is also a very long form that you have to fill out which they posted to us first
It cost quite a lot of money for the solicitor to apply on our behalf, but we both received our PPS numbers this week.
So yes your solicitor can organise your PPS number at a cost.