Property in Ireland

Old Jun 7th 2006, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

paul161 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property in Ireland

Could you still buy a property in Ireland for about 110k UK pounds. I would like to live in or nearby a city.
Any ideas?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property in Ireland

Originally Posted by paul161
Could you still buy a property in Ireland for about 110k UK pounds. I would like to live in or nearby a city.
Any ideas?
You wouldn't get much (if anything) for your money near the cities but check out daft.ie to get an idea..I may well be wrong.

Good luck..planning to move from the UK or here already?
BSG
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

paul161 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply I didn't know Ireland was so expensive for property . I have about 110k UK pounds. What I am hoping to do is to find employment and obtain a mortgage.
I would like to live in or near to one for the cities it will make it easier for me commute/find work because I don't drive.
Any ideas on places where I can purchase a property in my price range.
Thanks
At the moment still in the UK put will me making a trip to Ireland soon.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Thanks for your reply I didn't know Ireland was so expensive for property . I have about 110k UK pounds. What I am hoping to do is to find employment and obtain a mortgage.
I would like to live in or near to one for the cities it will make it easier for me commute/find work because I don't drive.
Any ideas on places where I can purchase a property in my price range.
Thanks
At the moment still in the UK put will me making a trip to Ireland soon.
Galway area is a possibility. I was looking at places equivalent to about 130k allthough you may be able to find cheaper depending on how far out of town you go. I found county Clare to be more pricier than county Galway. The roads have improved much more lateley so you should have no problems getting fast access to Galway centre even if you live 30-40 minutes down the road. The town of Loughrea 25 minutes bus ride away may be worth considering as you don't drive. As mentioned above http://www.daft.ie may be a good place to check out prices and you can often see pics to check out the types and sizes of houses available at the price you were hoping for!

All the best, daisy
Old Aug 12th 2006, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

ruru is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, check out myhome

almost every property for sale in Ireland is on this website.

daft website is best for finding rented accomodation.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ruru
Hi, check out myhome

almost every property for sale in Ireland is on this website.

daft website is best for finding rented accomodation.
check out the following sites; www.sellityourself.ie www.propertyireland.net
Old Aug 19th 2006, 4:01 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?
You would be mad to move to a rural country such as ireland without being able to drive, even if you did live in a city.

If you do move though, good luck - its a great place and i'm sure you'll love it.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
You would be mad to move to a rural country such as ireland without being able to drive, even if you did live in a city.

If you do move though, good luck - its a great place and i'm sure you'll love it.
Yeah, you're right, relying on buses could be a hit and miss thing. Loughrea is well placed because it's on the main Galway to Dublin N6 road so there are buses come by every 30-60 mins. but it could be tricky if you had to rush to get to an interview, plus you have to be within walking distance of the bus stop itself as walking down a dark country lane would not be fun in the winter and it could also be a pain getting the groceries. It could be do-able but a lot of research would need to be done to find the bus routes, times and prices to find the best place to move to. For instance the bus websites have route plans and times at http://www.citylink.ie/index.htm and in http://www.buseireann.ie there's a link to journey planner and then click on location timetable, type in the town and it lists the buses and times for the day to give an idea of how often they come by. I think lots of improvements are being made on the road infracstructure, trains and buses in the West but it will mean a lot of research ahead of time to make sure a bus actually goes past the end of road (and even more imprortant there is a bus stop there too!) I do find it quite funny to see that some women hitch hike to get home - I'm not talking young women with back packs but the more mature woman on their way back from work or the supermarket!

Last edited by crazydaisy; Aug 19th 2006 at 12:21 pm. Reason: typo
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

debf is an unknown quantity at this point

Any ideas?

Hi Paul We have just bought a cottage for 67000gbp in co limerick We found it on My Home as mentioned before we havent even seen it yet
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by debf
Hi Paul We have just bought a cottage for 67000gbp in co limerick We found it on My Home as mentioned before we havent even seen it yet
hope you will not be disapointed as some buildings advertised by auctioneers as cottages are usually a heap of stones in a field with no roof and no planning permission to rebuild, but I am sure you have a solicitor to check everything out for you
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:05 am
Just Joined

debf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Marcecie The cottage we have bought on the internet looks wonderful cant see any piles of bricks unless the agent has hidden them!! Its thatched so we were concerned it may need re doing but the agent assures us it is good for a few more years All will be revealed next Tues anyway If you hear a very loud scream in Ireland next week you will know it is a pile of bricks!! Debbie
Old Sep 6th 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

lulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Galway area is a possibility. I was looking at places equivalent to about 130k allthough you may be able to find cheaper depending on how far out of town you go. I found county Clare to be more pricier than county Galway. The roads have improved much more lateley so you should have no problems getting fast access to Galway centre even if you live 30-40 minutes down the road. The town of Loughrea 25 minutes bus ride away may be worth considering as you don't drive. As mentioned above http://www.daft.ie may be a good place to check out prices and you can often see pics to check out the types and sizes of houses available at the price you were hoping for!

All the best, daisy
Hi Daisy

We are looking at Galway now, first it was Donegal, but we feel the work situation maybe easier in Galway, what I have noticed is that the prices are rising pretty quickly there now, bungalows etc dormers about 6 months ago, were around 230k now 260k :scared: we are thinking of renting for yr first, do you know those areas well? is work more plentiful there.

Thanks

Lulu
Old Sep 8th 2006, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lulu41
Hi Daisy

We are looking at Galway now, first it was Donegal, but we feel the work situation maybe easier in Galway, what I have noticed is that the prices are rising pretty quickly there now, bungalows etc dormers about 6 months ago, were around 230k now 260k :scared: we are thinking of renting for yr first, do you know those areas well? is work more plentiful there.

Thanks

Lulu
Hi there - at the moment it is cheaper to head slightly East of Galway as property prices are lower, although people are starting to catch onto that now so it may change fairly quickly! I absolutely love Kinvara just South of Galway city but the houses are pretty pricey there. The housing market is just going nuts right now but they reckon that the market will crash and also there could be some reposessions so it would be worth looking out for some bargains (with the hubby's skills you could even do up an older property). Be wary though of buying land with a view to build as it takes eons to get planning permission - down our lane there are several farmers trying to sell their fields but the council has clamped down on new planning permissions as they feel the expansion is going too fast in the country. That's nice as we're surrounded by sheep, horses and cows and it would be awful to have that replaced by rows of houses. Further towards the towns though they are building larger housing estates and the disadvantage is that you may have someone overlooking you but the advantage is that these places will have higher speed internet and more reliable water supply (it took ages for us to get even half decent internet and our well dried up the other week so those are the type of challenges faced with being in the country!) Another word of warning is the problem of getting a school place - we have been turned away from several as they're just too full with the amount of people moving here.

One problem you may come across as you've been away from the UK and/or Ireland for more than 2 years as that you may not qualify for social security (as we just found out!) We left the UK 8 years ago but before that paid our social insurance contributions for 15 years so weren't too amused. We're just waiting now to see if we'll get child allowance or not. Grrr - anyway, I have found the Irish to be soo, soo nice and I get on really well with them - I have a temping job in town so have joined the rat race driving into town and am sure glad to get back out into the country in the evening.

I love it here although I think it may be a lifetime before we can afford to buy a house but we'll keep on hoping!

Last edited by crazydaisy; Sep 8th 2006 at 8:29 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

lulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to all
Post Re: Property in Ireland

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Hi there - at the moment it is cheaper to head slightly East of Galway as property prices are lower, although people are starting to catch onto that now so it may change fairly quickly! I absolutely love Kinvara just South of Galway city but the houses are pretty pricey there. The housing market is just going nuts right now but they reckon that the market will crash and also there could be some reposessions so it would be worth looking out for some bargains (with the hubby's skills you could even do up an older property). Be wary though of buying land with a view to build as it takes eons to get planning permission - down our lane there are several farmers trying to sell their fields but the council has clamped down on new planning permissions as they feel the expansion is going too fast in the country. That's nice as we're surrounded by sheep, horses and cows and it would be awful to have that replaced by rows of houses. Further towards the towns though they are building larger housing estates and the disadvantage is that you may have someone overlooking you but the advantage is that these places will have higher speed internet and more reliable water supply (it took ages for us to get even half decent internet and our well dried up the other week so those are the type of challenges faced with being in the country!) Another word of warning is the problem of getting a school place - we have been turned away from several as they're just too full with the amount of people moving here.

One problem you may come across as you've been away from the UK and/or Ireland for more than 2 years as that you may not qualify for social security (as we just found out!) We left the UK 8 years ago but before that paid our social insurance contributions for 15 years so weren't too amused. We're just waiting now to see if we'll get child allowance or not. Grrr - anyway, I have found the Irish to be soo, soo nice and I get on really well with them - I have a temping job in town so have joined the rat race driving into town and am sure glad to get back out into the country in the evening.

I love it here although I think it may be a lifetime before we can afford to buy a house but we'll keep on hoping!
Hi Daisy

Many thanks for taking the time to reply with good information, much appreciated, I know the property prices are crazy there, this is probably one reason to rent first, that way we can scout round too, the prices in the UK, are even crazier, we sold a 3 bed semi 2 and half yrs ago, for 200K sterling that same type house now is 250K sterling :scared: so I know what you mean, we dont have any children, YET, so no worries at present on schools

Best Wishes

Lulu
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:51 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply I didn't know Ireland was so expensive for property
Mate... Ireland is expensive for everything!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.