Polytunnel bits

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

london2cork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Polytunnel bits

Hi all,

does anyone know where i can source 5' scaffold tubes for polytunnel diy...i am in drimoleague...tia
Old Mar 1st 2014, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Polytunnel bits

Hi there

alu scaff tubes harder to come by in Ireland, since there are currently two main types of scaffolding in use in Ireland: system scaffolds and tube and fitting scaffolds - System scaffolding has become the most common type of scaffolding in use due to its ease of erection, ease of use and
reduced labour requirements. In realiity it's fiddly and costly - A 'System
scaffold' is a scaffold made of prefabricated elements. Each type of system scaffolding consists of a range of components such as standards, ledgers, transoms and base plates and has its own specific erection
requirements.

Tube and fitting scaffolding, which is used everywhere else in Europe because it works, is constructed from steel tubing and several types of
couplers.

Sorry to be nerd about it but my Dad has a scaffold company in london so we joke about it...

Anyhow, try a company called 'Alu-Scaff'. In the end, we priced kit up and ordered two 14m long tunnels in kit form from Polydome. I'm very glad we went for the system with anchoring base plates that lock in too ground about 3 ft down. During storm Darwin we watched our neighbour;s tunnel make its way down the hill. Ours lifted up it's poles a foot or two, but the slide on system meant we could knock the braces back down again and re-tension the cover.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:26 am
Just Joined

london2cork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Polytunnel bits

Thanks Tara,

Many thanks for your reply....Our original idea was to source mild steel scaffold poles and fit 50mm Alkathene water main tubing over the 48mm scaffold pole, however the poles are proving difficult to source, and probably the whole project of build-your-own is not going to be so cheap after all...soooooo...we are now looking at Polydome and CWP.ie for a ready made kit, probably opting for the 10' x 20' tunnel with polythene buried in trench variety to outwit Mr Darwin and his storms.....