Reload this Page >

Plannin to move to ROI from UK

Plannin to move to ROI from UK

Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

mummy73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plannin to move to ROI from UK

Hello Everyone

I am new on here and glad I found it as it seems very informative.

I am a separated Mother with 2 children and have been wanting to move to Ireland for many many years and have now come to the point where I am starting to sort things out for the move.

There are a few thins that I hope you can help me with

1, Will renting a house e straight forward as long as i have reference from my current landlord here in UK

2, How easy will it be to enroll my 2 children who are 15 and 6 into Irish schools.

3, I have always worked so would e looking for a part time job and will not be fussy what I do as any job is better than nothing.

4, If I do not find a job at first will i be ale to claim any benefits for a short while. If so how long will I have to wait for these to come through.

5, My son gets the full rate disability and mobility allowance here in uk, and I get tax credits, will I be able to get the equivalent of these in Ireland.

All my family are Irish on both sides and I have lots of family still in Ireland so do you think I might be better applying as a dual resident.

I am certainly not to moving to Ireland to sponge off the state as I will clearly e a lot worse off money wise in ireland than UK, but my circumstances with my ex husband leave me no choice with regards to our safety that leaves me no choice other than move out of uk.

Thank you so much
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:42 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plannin to move to ROI from UK

Originally Posted by mummy73
Hello Everyone

I am new on here and glad I found it as it seems very informative.

I am a separated Mother with 2 children and have been wanting to move to Ireland for many many years and have now come to the point where I am starting to sort things out for the move.

There are a few thins that I hope you can help me with

1, Will renting a house e straight forward as long as i have reference from my current landlord here in UK

2, How easy will it be to enroll my 2 children who are 15 and 6 into Irish schools.

3, I have always worked so would e looking for a part time job and will not be fussy what I do as any job is better than nothing.

4, If I do not find a job at first will i be ale to claim any benefits for a short while. If so how long will I have to wait for these to come through.

5, My son gets the full rate disability and mobility allowance here in uk, and I get tax credits, will I be able to get the equivalent of these in Ireland.

All my family are Irish on both sides and I have lots of family still in Ireland so do you think I might be better applying as a dual resident.

I am certainly not to moving to Ireland to sponge off the state as I will clearly e a lot worse off money wise in ireland than UK, but my circumstances with my ex husband leave me no choice with regards to our safety that leaves me no choice other than move out of uk.

Thank you so much
Mum, you'll find all the answers in the posts below.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:16 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

The only problem you will have is satisfying the habitual residency rules. You can appeal and could well win it if you say the right things. Whilst you are waiting for the appeal to work its way through the system you can go to the Social Welfare Officer in the town you'll be living. He will pay you each week.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Lynettex is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mummy73
I moved over here from the UK last July with my son. I applied for lone parents allowance a month or so after arriving while looking for work. It was denied because I didn't meet the requirements for habitual residency. Luckily I managed to find work for a few weeks and this allowed me to get help from my SWO (support welfare officer) under a migrant status but it is only temporary. The SWO can only pay you while you have a claim pending with the social welfare. I have managed to get a few weeks here and there at a local hotel but nothing permanent. I've applied again for social welfare assistance and it has again been denied for the same reason. I am appealing their decision.
My son has been in school for a year and loves it. I have close family ties here (but not immediate family). I have lived and worked here before albeit 12 years ago and my son was born in Dublin. His father is Irish and still lives in Dublin. I have a bank account here, a car that is registered, taxed and insured here. I have just signed lease agreement for another year. I've have no home in England. But still they say I do not show any intention to stay!
I would strongly advise you go to the welfare.ie website and do your research concentrating on the habitual residency requirements and collate as much supporting evidence as possible.
Having said all that, we love it here in Co Mayo and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Good luck
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lynettex
Hi Mummy73
I moved over here from the UK last July with my son. I applied for lone parents allowance a month or so after arriving while looking for work. It was denied because I didn't meet the requirements for habitual residency. Luckily I managed to find work for a few weeks and this allowed me to get help from my SWO (support welfare officer) under a migrant status but it is only temporary. The SWO can only pay you while you have a claim pending with the social welfare. I have managed to get a few weeks here and there at a local hotel but nothing permanent. I've applied again for social welfare assistance and it has again been denied for the same reason. I am appealing their decision.
My son has been in school for a year and loves it. I have close family ties here (but not immediate family). I have lived and worked here before albeit 12 years ago and my son was born in Dublin. His father is Irish and still lives in Dublin. I have a bank account here, a car that is registered, taxed and insured here. I have just signed lease agreement for another year. I've have no home in England. But still they say I do not show any intention to stay!
I would strongly advise you go to the welfare.ie website and do your research concentrating on the habitual residency requirements and collate as much supporting evidence as possible.
Having said all that, we love it here in Co Mayo and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Good luck
Thank you all for your replies, they have been very helpful.

xx
Old Jul 21st 2011, 11:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Is Northern Ireland an option?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is Northern Ireland an option?
Hello

I have no links with Northern Ireland and have heart settled on republic, Maybe Clare or Tipp as that's where my family are from and its like home from home to me.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Merlyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mummy73
Hello

I have no links with Northern Ireland and have heart settled on republic, Maybe Clare or Tipp as that's where my family are from and its like home from home to me.
There are Irish people who've lived all their life here in Ireland who've been turned down for welfare due to being self employed.

They are getting very tough on these things and have been told to be tougher, so bare that in mind.

Best of luck.