Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account before I arrive

Opening a bank account before I arrive

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

5flags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a bank account before I arrive

Hi, does anyone know if there is any bank in Ireland which will allow me to open an account without having to be there in person? I am currently resident in the UK and am planning a move to Galway, it would be nice to have the account set up in advance.

I can provide the usual, passport, driving license, utility bills, banking reference etc.

Many thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:03 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all
Default Re: Opening a bank account before I arrive

Originally Posted by 5flags
Hi, does anyone know if there is any bank in Ireland which will allow me to open an account without having to be there in person? I am currently resident in the UK and am planning a move to Galway, it would be nice to have the account set up in advance.

I can provide the usual, passport, driving license, utility bills, banking reference etc.

Many thanks
No.
You cannot open a bank account in Ireland without being present.
You will need a passport and utility bill as proof of address.
The quickest way round this is to but a TV licence at your local An Post (post office). AIB bank will accept this as proof of address (so you don't have to wait for a utility bill in your name to come in the post).
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

5flags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opening a bank account before I arrive

Bummer. Many thanks.