Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

ooooooo Ireland's SO expensive...

Old May 22nd 2007, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Chickenlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ooooooo Ireland's SO expensive...

...this is the response I get when I tell people I'm considering moving to Ireland from the UK.

We're married with 1 child (7) currently living near Durham (North East UK) but are seriously considering moving to Clare / Galway in order to live a more rural self-sufficient greener life. Rural property is way cheaper in that area than over here - basically we want a cottage with about an acre to grow fruit & veg etc (I believe it's very rainy - ideal for growing things)

Anyway - I've done some research into prices and price differences and reckon that because we're not a big consumer family that we could live reasonably cheaply (I was planning to not work for the first few months, but my OH is a carpenter & joiner)

Am I deluded ??

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Old May 22nd 2007, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future
Default Re: ooooooo Ireland's SO expensive...

Originally Posted by Chickenlady
...this is the response I get when I tell people I'm considering moving to Ireland from the UK.

We're married with 1 child (7) currently living near Durham (North East UK) but are seriously considering moving to Clare / Galway in order to live a more rural self-sufficient greener life. Rural property is way cheaper in that area than over here - basically we want a cottage with about an acre to grow fruit & veg etc (I believe it's very rainy - ideal for growing things)

Anyway - I've done some research into prices and price differences and reckon that because we're not a big consumer family that we could live reasonably cheaply (I was planning to not work for the first few months, but my OH is a carpenter & joiner)

Am I deluded ??

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Hi,
I think of Ireland as expensive since euro came in but my tenants from Scotland and Uk tell me it is much cheaper here. I consider electricity expensive but they say their bills are much cheaper also.
I know when I go to Uk I find things very expensive especially eating out. I live in Mayo so it would be cheaper than Galway not sure about Clare.
Wish your hubby was here now as one of my families are moving out and I have some carpentry work for doing, ( almost impossible to find a tradesman when you need him)
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Chickenlady

One of the things that makes Ireland expensive is the price of property (especially in the cities) but it sounds like you have that one worked out. Do however be aware of the stamp duty that gets slapped on second hand properties. It can add quite a bit to the budget (check out with estate agents what it would be for your level of house). There are a lot of stealth taxes like that in Ireland!

England can seem expensive from Ireland mainly because of the exchange rate, but that works in reverse for you now, and things may seem cheaper in Ireland. However, when you are earning and spending in euros it is a little different. That said, I believe that carpenters earn good money, so I don't thing you are totally deluded , especially as you plan to live a semi-self sufficient kind of life (I would love to have an acres and grow veggies myself, but we are tied to city life with jobs etc). Do you have a fall back though, in case the carpentry jobs don't come frequently enough?

Some of the other things that are expensive in Ireland are utilities and insurance, but then some things (like petrol) are cheaper. It sounds like your intended lifestyle will mean that you may have a bit more control over costs than others.

The term rip-off Ireland was coined in recent years as a lot of people feel that everything is very expensive and moan about it!! Fact is, it is a lot more expensive than it used to be, and a lot more expensive than France or Spain,say, but probably on a level with the UK overall.

As for us, we moved to Canada.....

Good luck though with your decision, I think your dream is a good one....

Snowqueen
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:38 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

(I believe it's very rainy - ideal for growing things)
Indeed it is

I do find it very expensive, in particular housing.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Chickenlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Indeed it is

I do find it very expensive, in particular housing.
Now to me, the housing is so much cheaper than the UK - well rural properties anyway.
I compared houses with land in Clare / Galway and we could get a decent 3 bed house on an acre for 350K plus stamp duty (equivalent to about 260K GBP)

Similar properties in Yorkshire & Northumberland were upwards of 400K GBP.

UK property prices are spiralling up beyond belief...
Old May 24th 2007, 9:14 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Now to me, the housing is so much cheaper than the UK - well rural properties anyway.
I compared houses with land in Clare / Galway and we could get a decent 3 bed house on an acre for 350K plus stamp duty (equivalent to about 260K GBP)

I think what you'll find is how very friendly and helpful the locals are. Once you've been there a short while people will use your husbands skills. I love Clare/Galway/Mayo, it really is wonderful place. If you get a chance drive through Gort in Galway and check out the amount of Brazilians there. Surely a west of Ireland carnival must be arranged soon!

Best of luck.
Old May 24th 2007, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I think what you'll find is how very friendly and helpful the locals are. Once you've been there a short while people will use your husbands skills. I love Clare/Galway/Mayo, it really is wonderful place. If you get a chance drive through Gort in Galway and check out the amount of Brazilians there. Surely a west of Ireland carnival must be arranged soon!

Best of luck.
there was a great carnival in Gort a few months ago(saw it on tv) the Brazilians arranged it and all the locals lined the street to support them. Just goes to show how the different communities can live together.
Old May 29th 2007, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Irelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant future

hi there, we live in Galway, not too far from Gort. Housing outside the city is cheaper, and better value for money. Dont know much about price comparison with England (I moved from South Africa) but there are loads of English people here and moving here, say the quality of life is much better for the kids especially. Galway is beautiful!!
Old May 29th 2007, 4:06 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I lived down South in the UK - hence probably the big difference in comparison. I ended up buying in London and Bristol and they were far better investments that the West Coast of Ireland where I originate from.
Old May 29th 2007, 4:07 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by Irelandexile
hi there, we live in Galway, not too far from Gort. Housing outside the city is cheaper, and better value for money. Dont know much about price comparison with England (I moved from South Africa) but there are loads of English people here and moving here, say the quality of life is much better for the kids especially. Galway is beautiful!!
Definitely agree on Galway. I had not been there since I was a teenager and went there last year and it was fab.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 12:58 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Definitely agree on Galway. I had not been there since I was a teenager and went there last year and it was fab.
A mate of mine was telling me his building firm in Galway isnt getting anymore money from the banks for building new housing cos they are very worried about a crash coming.

I knew it wouldnt take long for the Brazilians to arrange a carnival in Gort!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

In general it is, very expesive with high taxation, the VAT rate sits at about 21% if I remember correctly.

What you will have is great quality of life compaired to the mainland UK, although the weather is not just as good, which can be a pain. The weather in the north "which can be a little wetter and overcase even still" was one of the things that help promote my decision to move to Spain from Northern Ireland 26 years ago.

The people are very friendly and the pace is very much slower than England, this may be something that will take adjusting to if coming from the city.

Just be careful at meeting up with locals in pubs and being tempted by the local brew, you will eventually loose all track of your life which will turn into a black and cream swirl very quickly... but at least a very, very subdued one! lol

Hope this helps
Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

moppet30 will become famous soon enoughmoppet30 will become famous soon enough

Hi

we only found eatin g and drinking out plus insurance to be more expensive than UK.

We lived in Clare for 5 years leaving around 2 years ago and unfortunately we suffered different degrees of racism because we are English from my husbands work and from some people around us.

The weather is rainy most of the time, which is depressing, and hygiene standards are really not that great in pubs and restaurants particularly the toilets which we really struggled with.
Be sure that you are happy to stay in the home you buy permanently as rural properties can be hard to sell on again due to lack of employment etc.

Sorry to be so negative but it’s and honest opinion of what we found Clare to be like

There are however some nice people and the place is safer than the UK by far
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Irelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant futureIrelandexile has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moppet30
Hi

we only found eatin g and drinking out plus insurance to be more expensive than UK.

We lived in Clare for 5 years leaving around 2 years ago and unfortunately we suffered different degrees of racism because we are English from my husbands work and from some people around us.

The weather is rainy most of the time, which is depressing, and hygiene standards are really not that great in pubs and restaurants particularly the toilets which we really struggled with.
Be sure that you are happy to stay in the home you buy permanently as rural properties can be hard to sell on again due to lack of employment etc.

Sorry to be so negative but it’s and honest opinion of what we found Clare to be like

There are however some nice people and the place is safer than the UK by far
Hi there, do not agree with you. we have been in Galway for 2 1/2 years now and have never experienced racism, people have been curious yes, want to know your history and are interested in hearing about your reasons for choosing Ireland. (We moved from South Africa) but generally have been friendly and very helpful.
Can not say I have seen dirty toilets in restaurants!!

Regarding houses, if the house is realistically priced, it will sell. I work for an auctioneer and we have houses that have been on the market for months, but their price is too high and the sellers wont face reality!
The market here is a bit slow as there are stamp duty issues to be finalised by government,but once that is settled , will pick up again (hopefully)

We live our in the country and have a child in a country school. I could not ask for a better school and the kids here have a great quality of life in spite of the weather. The summers are great and everyone make s the best of the long evenings.
I certainly do not regret my move.
Jen
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

moppet30 will become famous soon enoughmoppet30 will become famous soon enough

Irelandexile

Your not English so wouldn't have a problem, there racism is against the English for things that happened hundreds of years ago and they can't let go of and very much exists.

The toilets are among the worst i've ever seen and i've travelled a huge amount often in the mens (told by my hubby) you could do with wellies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.