No Bridle ways?

Old May 19th 2014, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

molly1664 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No Bridle ways?

I have a horse and enjoy hacking out, exploring the countryside, here in the UK we have many bridle ways that allow you to ride your horse on. From trying to reseach it seems that there pathways for walkers and cyclists but not for horses in Ireland. We are moving to the Galway/Mayo boarders, are there any horsey people out there that can advise on 'happy hacking'?
Old May 21st 2014, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

mikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nice
Default Re: No Bridle ways?

Hi Molly

I don't know about Galway/Mayo but where I am in West Cork there are no bridleways

When our family had ponies, going for a hack meant the lanes, which can be scary due to speed of traffic. Your best option is if you're near a beach. I always said, there were way more lovely places to ride in the UK town I came from than there were here in the countryside. Not what you'd expect I know.
Old May 22nd 2014, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikkijan
Hi Molly

I don't know about Galway/Mayo but where I am in West Cork there are no bridleways

When our family had ponies, going for a hack meant the lanes, which can be scary due to speed of traffic. Your best option is if you're near a beach. I always said, there were way more lovely places to ride in the UK town I came from than there were here in the countryside. Not what you'd expect I know.
Thanks for the reply mikkijan, its not what I expected. really surprised as was under the impression, Ireland was such a horsey place.
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:28 am
Just Joined

mikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nicemikkijan is just really nice

Originally Posted by molly1664
Thanks for the reply mikkijan, its not what I expected. really surprised as was under the impression, Ireland was such a horsey place.
It is very horsey Molly, there are plenty of shows and events going on, but driving to things like that with a trailer wasn't what interested me. I was disappointed that there was nowhere I could ride out of my gate and enjoy open countryside.

On the other hand, my farmer neighbours were very obliging and it was never a problem to ride in their fields. It's not the same as a network of bridleways though.

The local riding club used to have a regular Cheval Ride that usually went right past our gate on its route. I joined in that once. It was nice to be part of a big group, and you didn't have to worry about a car flying round a blind bend, but the speed they rode! Belting down lanes like that wasn't my idea of a nice hack. Talk about 'ammer, 'ammer, 'ammer!

(For those who are reading this with bewilderment - I'm quoting from this proverb:
“It aint the ‘unting on the ‘ill that ‘urts the ‘orses ‘ooves but ‘ammer, ‘ammer, ‘ammer on the ‘ard ‘igh road”)

If you're confident driving a horsebox or towing a trailer you'll find plenty to join in with. It used to amaze me when I took my girls for their weekly riding lesson to the school just outside the nearest town. A few other mums would arrive with their child and towing its own pony in the trailer. Those mums were as relaxed about driving around with that outfit as if they were popping into town in a mini
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

How do they get their horses fit enough for all that 'Tally ho'. Hunting not for me, would have been 20yrs ago!!

I am happy to tow a trailer but cannot afford to run a 4x4 in Ireland, I have a lovely 3.5 horsebox but that might have to go as well, can't work out what the tax is going to be on it!!

Maybe I will find a nice farmer that will let us use their land if I'm lucky
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Maybe I will find a nice farmer that will let us use their land if I'm lucky
That's probably your best plan. The farmers here are lovely, well every one I've ever met is anyway

I hope it all works out for you and that you'll be happy with your move
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It is, but Ireland isn't as built up as the UK and has fewer people. Most people with horses have plenty of land to ride them. We also have plenty of green ways were there is hardly any traffic and saying that there are plenty of tracks along the coast (Connemara).
Old May 23rd 2014, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting subject. In the differing legal jurisdictions found on our archipelago, there are different rules and traditions. For example there are no "bridleways" in Scotland. Here is a good starting point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridleway