Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

New member considering move to Dublin

New member considering move to Dublin

Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

us4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really nice
Default Re: New member considering move to Dublin

Hello,
If you dont mind a bit of a commute to the new job, I would recommend looking at Malahide or Sutton on the North side as potential areas to live.
Swords, Finglas and Ballymun have been suggested, but to be honest as a native Dubliner who was born and bred close to Finglas, these are all pretty dismal areas. Also depending on the age of your child(ren) not great areas to have teens hanging around.

Best area to live in Dublin as suggested already is the SE. The M50 motorway provides good connections now so you might want to live out around say Blackrock, leopardstown, Shankill and hit the M50 to get to work. If you are over in Dublin on a look see you could try the commute and see how feasible it might be. Advantages of locating there would be a nicer living environment for your family plus an abundance of good schools (both free and fee paying)
One school in particular has a great mix of International kids (though I think most schools in Dublin do now due to the influx of different natiionalities during the celtic tiger era)

Good luck with your move!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:50 am
Just Joined

johnnyk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by us4now
Hello,
If you dont mind a bit of a commute to the new job, I would recommend looking at Malahide or Sutton on the North side as potential areas to live.
Swords, Finglas and Ballymun have been suggested, but to be honest as a native Dubliner who was born and bred close to Finglas, these are all pretty dismal areas. Also depending on the age of your child(ren) not great areas to have teens hanging around.

Best area to live in Dublin as suggested already is the SE. The M50 motorway provides good connections now so you might want to live out around say Blackrock, leopardstown, Shankill and hit the M50 to get to work. If you are over in Dublin on a look see you could try the commute and see how feasible it might be. Advantages of locating there would be a nicer living environment for your family plus an abundance of good schools (both free and fee paying)
One school in particular has a great mix of International kids (though I think most schools in Dublin do now due to the influx of different natiionalities during the celtic tiger era)

Good luck with your move!
Thanks for your input - can't beat a bit of local knowledge!

My son's just 18 months old so although he won't be playing out, teenagers are best avoided! Schools / nurseries will be important though. Will have a look at these other areas you suggest. Rents overall seem considerably higher than the NW UK so although the job's better paid it looks like I'll have to shell out quite a bit more on accommodation.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Housing - just wondered whether there's an equivalent charge to "Council Tax" in Eire?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

us4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really niceus4now is just really nice

Rents have actually come down quite a bit compared with say 3 years ago. And in a lot of cases I would say there is a bit of bargaining room with the quoted monthly rental cost.There is a surplus of rental properties on the market these days in all areas, so you should have a lot of choice, and be able to negotiate.

Hopefully you will be able to visit on a look see and check out which areas suit best.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyk
Housing - just wondered whether there's an equivalent charge to "Council Tax" in Eire?
Is Council tax similar to property tax in the U.S I wonder? If so, nothing similar YET in Ireland. But it is one of the proposals of the new Govt, and is likely to be introduced, along with water rates, as soon as possible. No details yet as to how much/how it will be levied.

As a renter you might find the property tax is paid by the landlord anyway? I know in the U.S the landlord pays the property tax bill for any of his properties.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Is Council tax similar to property tax in the U.S I wonder? If so, nothing similar YET in Ireland. But it is one of the proposals of the new Govt, and is likely to be introduced, along with water rates, as soon as possible. No details yet as to how much/how it will be levied.

As a renter you might find the property tax is paid by the landlord anyway? I know in the U.S the landlord pays the property tax bill for any of his properties.
Council tax pays for local police, waste collection, etc. but can work out at around £1000/year!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
If the job is based on the northern fringes of Dublin then it might be an option to live in Northern Ireland and commute. Advantages include keeping the NHS and avoiding some of the bureaucracy that comes with living in a different country.

Even if not a long term choice, it might be a short term option while the spouse gets her British citizenship sorted out.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
If the job is based on the northern fringes of Dublin then it might be an option to live in Northern Ireland and commute. Advantages include keeping the NHS and avoiding some of the bureaucracy that comes with living in a different country.

Even if not a long term choice, it might be a short term option while the spouse gets her British citizenship sorted out.
Thinking outside the box - I like it. May be an option, will have a look, cheers.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:24 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking outside the box - I like it. May be an option, will have a look, cheers.
Defo look into that. So much cheaper north of the border. We'd all be going up there still for our shopping but the price of petrol has ruined that. The road up to Newry through Louth is excellent and pretty empty.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Defo look into that. So much cheaper north of the border. We'd all be going up there still for our shopping but the price of petrol has ruined that. The road up to Newry through Louth is excellent and pretty empty.
Found a beatiful place for rent just outside Newry but got an old friend from Uni who's in the police in the north + reckons it's a bit rough in parts to say the least. (apologies to anyone reading who lives there!) About an hour commute but wouldn't want to be driving much longer.......

Had telephone interview which was going well til the tickly cough which remains after my chest infection decided to kick in, then I was coughing my guts up every 2-3 minutes! Oh well, should here if got through to 2nd stage next week.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

daviddublin is an unknown quantity at this point

Im British ans have lived in Dublin for nearly 30 years.....If you have any other questions let me know.
Cheers
David
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by daviddublin
Im British ans have lived in Dublin for nearly 30 years.....If you have any other questions let me know.
Cheers
David
Cheers David will do
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:11 am
Just Joined

bubble and squeak is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: New member considering move to Dublin

Hi,

You could look at this link for Educate Together schools in Ireland http://www.educatetogether.ie/ They are multi-denominational schools and there are a few in Dublin.

Good luck with your move. I have been living in Ireland for 10 years and have only just discovered this website.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:06 am
Just Joined

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Sadly didn't get through to the final interview so am stuck in the UK until something else comes up.

All the best

Old Mar 16th 2011, 2:29 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Sadly didn't get through to the final interview so am stuck in the UK until something else comes up.

All the best

Might not of been a bad thing mate. Its pretty grim over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.