Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving from uk to west coast ireland

Moving from uk to west coast ireland

Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:56 am
Just Joined

emmareeves is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, New to this forum.
We have a smallholding in NW ireland that was left to us by my husbands dad. We live in Cornwall and are seriously considering moving over.... It is very rural, about 10 mins to the nearest village, but we both feel that this way of life would suit us hugely. We would not be able to afford this in Cornwall.
We have two children 5&7, and my only concern is would they fit into the local school, make friends, be accepted ect........My husband works at sea for two weeks out of six and will be at hone the rest of the time. This job wont change if we move. I have a few close friend here but not lots, im hoping to meet new people via my children and school runs ect.
Can anyone offer eny advice/experience???? It would be very much appriciated.

Emma xx

can i add i have read some lovely moving stories, but some terriably neagtive ones.....getting a bit worries x

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 24th 2017 at 9:07 am. Reason: Posts merged - there's an 'edit' button you can use if you think of something you want to add just after posting. HTH.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 9:33 am
Just Joined

ArranF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from uk to west coast ireland

If you already have the property instead of having to wait months for the conveyance and such, then you have already avoided one of the biggest problems with moving so you're very lucky, all you have to do is move all your stuff, what are you waiting for?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Kastell will become famous soon enough

Hi Emma we are considering this move too, Cornwall to ROI & have children of a similar age, so will be following your thread :-) .
Old Mar 13th 2017, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

emmareeves is an unknown quantity at this point

hi kastell.....how far along are you in your planning??.we are off to see a school in may.. eekkk, xx
Old Mar 17th 2017, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Kastell will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by emmareeves
hi kastell.....how far along are you in your planning??.we are off to see a school in may.. eekkk, xx
We have been considering this move for a while, spent 13 years in France, moved back to the UK last year as good job offer but were thinking of going to ROI instead.. Chose the easy option & it has been lovely to spend time with friends & family but it is so busy here now & really struggling property wise, we had a lovely small holding in France, can't even afford an end terraced house here & not mortgage eligible for another year, plus paying a huge rent for a damp cottage.. We are hoping to go to Ireland in April, friends just bought a place over there & have other friends already there but they don't have kids, so can't advise on child things. We miss space & tranquility, just worried about work prospects... Good luck with the school visit :-) .
Old Mar 29th 2017, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Buzyizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Having lived in Cornwall for eight years before moving to Mayo, I can tell you that you'll be absolutely fine. I've moved to a small town land of 10 houses and everyone has been amazingly friendly. Start packing!!