Moving to Letterkenny

Old May 2nd 2017, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Letterkenny

Originally Posted by jimbob66
Thanks deadshoppingmalls, interesting for very depressing for us, but better that way than to be fed optimism as here in Spain but then to find the system is unfavourable.
Anyway,I'm struggling now to find another area! Do you have any suggestions, anywhere, where rentals might be a better prospect than those areas you mention. We had looked at County Kerry?
As for 4 to 6 weeks to move in, I know things move slowly in Ireland, but come on, many places on Daft.ie and Rent.ie say "ready to move" or is that a false statement? LOL
We would never attempt to rent anything without viewing but were hoping that we could get things sorted within say 2 weeks. It seems that that is absurdly short. we also were hoping just to stay in hotel for that period and then move in and start to get things settled quite quickly with paperwork etc.
I suppose now I'm struggling for ideas. I've contacted Daft.ie and been directed to their Forum. No suggestions there that improve my thoughts.. Similarly, contacting estate agents directly has not helped. Just a general enquiry asking about the need for references and describing our situati0n yields not even a reply. I will try a few more.
The best way in Ireland is to talk to locals personally. Unfortunately rentals are hard to find online and you need to be quick. County Kerry has loads to offer and again depends on the area. Be it Dingle, Killarney a lot of these areas are very touristic and people with rental properties would probably make more money renting through airbnb.

Maybe come over for a visit and make some connections in person.
Old May 2nd 2017, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

jimbob66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Moses. I know what you say makes sense but we aren't in a position to visit and then return to Spain. It will have to be a one way ticket!
I'm just trying to find out if our finances are enough to be accepted by a landlord, whether references from our Spanish and Argentine landlords will be accepted and how long the process of paperwork takes. I'm busy contacting agents in Sligo and Tralee at the moment but I guess they are really interested more in face to face discussion. It's the same in Spain, it took us over a month to find a place but accom prices are cheaper here so that cost was affordable.
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

dreamer55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a suggestion; if you can find websites for local Irish newspapers you might find ads from individual landlords - they're likely to be more flexible than agencies. Good luck.
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

jimbob66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks dreamer55, I'll give that a try.