Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ireland from UK-advice needed!!

Moving to Ireland from UK-advice needed!!

Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

mcrfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Ireland from UK-advice needed!!

You seem to have a very negative opinion of Ireland! Can I ask where you are living at the moment and how long you have lived there?
Old Apr 26th 2014, 7:51 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcrfam
You seem to have a very negative opinion of Ireland! Can I ask where you are living at the moment and how long you have lived there?
I have been in Ireland 15 years, 5 in Dublin and 10 in Roscommon. Take it from me that "Dryroasted" is closer to reality than the other posters.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 10:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sickntired
I have been in Ireland 15 years, 5 in Dublin and 10 in Roscommon. Take it from me that "Dryroasted" is closer to reality than the other posters.
It would normally be worthwhile for someone wishing to move from Great Britain to the island of Ireland to consider the pros and cons of moving to Northern Ireland (same country, different jurisdiction) versus the Republic of Ireland (different country).
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the availability of work not the main consideration for most people ?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scot47
Is the availability of work not the main consideration for most people ?
Not for me as I try to avoid work if at all possible. It is always best to get someone else to do the work.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking of applying to the House of Lords.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

What is reality? You can go to any place and will find something negative. Some things are cheaper in the UK, but just look at salaries, so don't know why people compare. I can buy cheap stuff in Thailand but with a salary of €200 won't think it's cheap. Of course you can get a house that was built in 2008, but there are other properties available and great bargains out there. We couldn't afford the house we have here in England and I know plenty of people from Germany, France all relocating to Ireland. Dublin is a city and very expensive just like any city and Roscommon probably isn't the best example if you're generally depressed.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Moses2013
What is reality? You can go to any place and will find something negative. Some things are cheaper in the UK, but just look at salaries, so don't know why people compare. I can buy cheap stuff in Thailand but with a salary of €200 won't think it's cheap. Of course you can get a house that was built in 2008, but there are other properties available and great bargains out there. We couldn't afford the house we have here in England and I know plenty of people from Germany, France all relocating to Ireland. Dublin is a city and very expensive just like any city and Roscommon probably isn't the best example if you're generally depressed.
I have a nice house without a mortgage, a UK pension and money in the bank. The only thing that depresses me is people who are still on their "honeymoon period" saying how wonderful the place is.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a nice house without a mortgage, a UK pension and money in the bank. The only thing that depresses me is people who are still on their "honeymoon period" saying how wonderful the place is.
I don't think it's honeymoon period, but it's annoying when people constantly talk everything down. The whole of Europe is a mess and the UK + other countries aren't better, or worse off. If people don't like a place, it's not hard to move as a European. I've lived in several countries over the past 5 years and believe me it's not paradise elsewhere. I think Ireland has a lot to offer and I don't see people starving. It's actually improving here, while other places are getting worse. Imagine the council would come to you and say they need to dig up the road in front of your house, then charge you 20K. That can happen in Germany and they also pay property tax. Look at the bedroom tax in the UK etc. Sure, you can live in the Midlands and will moan that there are no jobs, but when was it ever different? If you move to the Black Forest in Germany it's exactly the same. Go to Dublin and you'll find rough areas, the same in London or Berlin.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 11:23 am
Just Joined

sean9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you now moved over as we moved over in August 2014 and know all about the paper work you have to do etc
Old Mar 1st 2015, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

brum1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope it all went well for you