Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ireland from the UK

Moving to Ireland from the UK

Old Feb 21st 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving to Ireland from the UK

Originally Posted by snert
We are now looking into him applying for security jobs as he used to do them here and was also in the British Army, hoping it helps there as much as it does here when it comes to security work. Any input would be a great help.
Errr - be careful with this one! While Ireland has moved on a great deal as a nation, there are still quite a few Republican sympathisers knocking about, and advertising the fact that he used to be in the British Army might not win him any friends (and I'm not just talking about them not buying him pints in the pub).

Not trying to scare you, please don't think I am, but be sensible about who you disclose this to. "Security" is a wide-ranging profession, with an equally wide range of people in it. Of course it depends on the job, and the area etc etc, but do do your homework on this. Research the security companies and try to find out if there are any other ex- british army guys doing the same and talk to them. Maybe it's not a problem and I'm way off the mark, if so, my apologies, but either way it would be good to research this fully.

All the best
SQ
Old Feb 21st 2006, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

snert is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks snowqueen,

We was a little afraid of this and wasn't to sure as to deleting it off his CV, apart form the security industry wanting 10 years history. It's not something any of us advertise and we wouldn't be sharing the info with anyone unless he had to.

If you have any other ideas please let me know, you have been a great help.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snert
thanks again for the reply's i have looked at the tax rate and hubby has been applying for work (haven't heard anything back as yet). We are now looking into him applying for security jobs as he used to do them here and was also in the British Army, hoping it helps there as much as it does here when it comes to security work. Any input would be a great help.

The international schools that have been mentioned, do you have to pay for those ? I know that you can ask for permission to opt out of Irish but not sure if that is a good idea either.

We are planning on going over in a couple of months to have a look round, maybe if we are lucky we can get a couple of job interviews set up for the same time.

Also how would we be able to open a bank account when we got there, do they ask for a previous address and does it matter that the previous address was in the UK?

I wasn't too sure about the International schools you mentioned but there's a good website here that covers everything from primary to secondary level and beyond. They mention the following: "State funded schools include religious schools, non-denominatinal schools, multi-denominational schools and Gaelscoileanna." http://www.educationireland.ie/index.html (navigate to the link to Irish Education System!) Also if you click on Destination Ireland within the site there's a section in there on health insurance which could be useful for any newcomers!

Re: the option to opt out of Irish language studies - your child has to be more than 11 years old and have studied outside Ireland to qualify, so is handy for people in our circumstances whereby my son will be 15 by the time we land and will not be able to learn the language from scratch in time to pass his exams. The exemption, according to the web link provided in page 1 of this topic states that if the child is provided with an exemption that they can usually be granted that exemption also when applying to a college. Whether you choose to allow your child to be exempt though is a purely personal choice!

Last edited by crazydaisy; Feb 23rd 2006 at 3:18 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 6:46 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you out on much as I left Ireland 15 years ago. Moved to the UK and I much prefer it, although I now reside in Dubai. Ireland used to be cheap years ago and was very quaint but I now find that a lot of places have lost that. My sister moved back 5 years ago and and lives in Waterford (near Kilkenny) and commutes to her office in Cork city. It takes about an hour.

Ever since the Euro came in, some people see it as an opportunity to make money. Everytime I go back it is more and more expensive.

Going on holiday there is one thing and you get a totally different perception as to the real life there. So I would definetely say that you need to think long and hard about your decision.

It should not be a problem opening a bank a/c in Ireland. I had an a/c there when I lived there and they have my UK address as my correspondence address.

Oh, and it rains a lot
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Can't help you out on much as I left Ireland 15 years ago. Moved to the UK and I much prefer it, although I now reside in Dubai. Ireland used to be cheap years ago and was very quaint but I now find that a lot of places have lost that. My sister moved back 5 years ago and and lives in Waterford (near Kilkenny) and commutes to her office in Cork city. It takes about an hour.

Ever since the Euro came in, some people see it as an opportunity to make money. Everytime I go back it is more and more expensive.

Going on holiday there is one thing and you get a totally different perception as to the real life there. So I would definetely say that you need to think long and hard about your decision.

It should not be a problem opening a bank a/c in Ireland. I had an a/c there when I lived there and they have my UK address as my correspondence address.

Oh, and it rains a lot

I live in the West of Ireland that is where you will find the old Ireland to a certain extend, people will wave and stop to say hello, it is not as rushed as the cities, the scenery is great and cost of living is less. I have rented a few houses to people from UK and with the exception of 1 couple none of them moved back.
You will have no problem opening a bank a/c just have a utility bill or some evidence of mortgage/rent book from UK- feel free to post any questions I will help if I can.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Moving to Ireland from the UK

Originally Posted by marcecie
I live in the West of Ireland that is where you will find the old Ireland to a certain extend, people will wave and stop to say hello, it is not as rushed as the cities, the scenery is great and cost of living is less. I have rented a few houses to people from UK and with the exception of 1 couple none of them moved back.
You will have no problem opening a bank a/c just have a utility bill or some evidence of mortgage/rent book from UK- feel free to post any questions I will help if I can.
I was wondering if you were an estate agent or something similar? You mentioned renting houses to British families. We will be landing in the West of Ireland at the end of June and will be looking for a dog friendly family home. We are hoping for somewhere mid way between Galway and Limerick. Fully furnished is preferable as we are hoping to sell up much of our furniture here in Canada and just shipping personal belongings. I have booked a holiday cottage for 3 weeks though just in case!

Many thanks, Daisy

Last edited by crazydaisy; Apr 1st 2006 at 4:17 am.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

marcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant futuremarcecie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
I was wondering if you were an estate agent or something similar? You mentioned renting houses to British families. We will be landing in the West of Ireland at the end of June and will be looking for a dog friendly family home. We are hoping for somewhere mid way between Galway and Limerick. Fully furnished is preferable as we are hoping to sell up much of our furniture here in Canada and just shipping personal belongings. I have booked a holiday cottage for 3 weeks though just in case!

Many thanks, Daisy
hi Daisy,
I am not a estate agent we are just a retired couple that have a few rental houses which we rent out, they are all in Mayo and range in size from a 2 bed fully furnished to 4 beds furnished or unfurnished. If you have any questions that I can help with please feel free to email.
[email protected]
Old Apr 1st 2006, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marcecie
hi Daisy,
I am not a estate agent we are just a retired couple that have a few rental houses which we rent out, they are all in Mayo and range in size from a 2 bed fully furnished to 4 beds furnished or unfurnished. If you have any questions that I can help with please feel free to email.
[email protected]
Thanks Marcecie!