Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ireland from Spain

Moving to Ireland from Spain

Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

lulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to all
Smile Moving to Ireland from Spain

Hi Everyone

Great site, been doing lots of homework, on moving to Ireland, over the last yr, we moved to Spain, 3 yrs ago, from the UK, and it isn't for us, ok, the weather can be great, but that can sometimes get too much, sun sun sun, and more sun, ok, well, its not the only thing, major things here are NO WORK, anyway, we have been over to Ireland, had a good look round, lovely place, we liked Donegal, very pretty, but had some great towns too, property is cheaper there too, also, my hubby was offered a job, if he wants it, so great, he is a landscaper by trade, but can do almost anything in the building trade too, our problem is, selling this place in Spain, the market here, is, too much supply and not enough demand, so we think we are in for long haul, falling short of that, give the house way, anyway, nice to join in on some great chats here.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to Ireland from Spain

Originally Posted by lulu41
Hi Everyone

Great site, been doing lots of homework, on moving to Ireland, over the last yr, we moved to Spain, 3 yrs ago, from the UK, and it isn't for us, ok, the weather can be great, but that can sometimes get too much, sun sun sun, and more sun, ok, well, its not the only thing, major things here are NO WORK, anyway, we have been over to Ireland, had a good look round, lovely place, we liked Donegal, very pretty, but had some great towns too, property is cheaper there too, also, my hubby was offered a job, if he wants it, so great, he is a landscaper by trade, but can do almost anything in the building trade too, our problem is, selling this place in Spain, the market here, is, too much supply and not enough demand, so we think we are in for long haul, falling short of that, give the house way, anyway, nice to join in on some great chats here.
Hi there - I just wanted to say hi and good luck with your move. It sounds very exciting and I hope it all goes well with selling the house!

Daisy
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

lulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to alllulu41 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crazydaisy
Hi there - I just wanted to say hi and good luck with your move. It sounds very exciting and I hope it all goes well with selling the house!

Daisy
Hi Crazydaisy

Many thanks for your well wishes, we both feel very depressed here in Spain, I know that sounds bad, but we really need to get back to native land, where life can be more of a reality, if you know what I mean, my hubby being a workaholic makes him very frustrated with this life, I know it works for many here, but I think if your working, or retired its a different ball game here, just cant wait now, to go to Ireland, we both love Ireland, because, the people are friendly, they speak English, and the rural feel of the place is so enchanting, and the weather, it rains, which means, greenery, I miss that, I know it sounds strange, but, its like a desert here, mountains, but no lovely rolling green hills, and pretty lakes, glad to have found another place to chat, with others in a similar position.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lulu41
Hi Crazydaisy

Many thanks for your well wishes, we both feel very depressed here in Spain, I know that sounds bad, but we really need to get back to native land, where life can be more of a reality, if you know what I mean, my hubby being a workaholic makes him very frustrated with this life, I know it works for many here, but I think if your working, or retired its a different ball game here, just cant wait now, to go to Ireland, we both love Ireland, because, the people are friendly, they speak English, and the rural feel of the place is so enchanting, and the weather, it rains, which means, greenery, I miss that, I know it sounds strange, but, its like a desert here, mountains, but no lovely rolling green hills, and pretty lakes, glad to have found another place to chat, with others in a similar position.
I know what you mean. After leaving Switzerland we swore to stick to English speaking countries only! I tried to learn high German and French but found that the Swiss had their own dialects and Swiss German wasn't an official language but one they all spoke with different dialects for different regions. Howver, we did try but decided it wasn't for us. I love green hilly places too although I think I may miss the snow - will probably need some trips to Scotland at Christmas time to get my fix. Do you have a moving date yet? (We land on Irish turf 1st July.)
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I love green hilly places too although I think I may miss the snow - will probably need some trips to Scotland at Christmas time to get my fix. Do you have a moving date yet? (We land on Irish turf 1st July.)

We have green hillys in Ireland although you would have to go to Scotland for the snow...we don't get much of that here..but we do hills....and some of the most geourgous flora and fauna on account of the (wet) climate.

1st July? that's coming around quite quickly now, isn't it??

Welcome Lulu and good luck with your move, hope you get some help and answers here.
BSG

Last edited by BlueScottyGirl; Apr 22nd 2006 at 10:03 am. Reason: forgot my manners
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

I know what you mean. After leaving Switzerland we swore to stick to English speaking countries only! I tried to learn high German and French but found that the Swiss had their own dialects and Swiss German wasn't an official language but one they all spoke with different dialects for different regions. Howver, we did try but decided it wasn't for us. I love green hilly places too although I think I may miss the snow - will probably need some trips to Scotland at Christmas time to get my fix. Do you have a moving date yet? (We land on Irish turf 1st July.)
Hi Daisy

You lucky person, wish we had a date, but have not sold house yet, fingers crossed though, hope your new life is filled with joy, the snow can definitely be found up in inverness, got friends from there, just have to take a holiday, when you need a fix.

BlueScottyGirl

Thanks for the welcome, we loved Ireland, we were over last month, stayed in Donegal, killybegs is a very quaint fishing town, just up hubbies street, a keen fisherman, and the whole trip was very interesting, cant wait.

all the best

Lulu
Old Apr 29th 2006, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

I may miss the snow - will probably need some trips to Scotland at Christmas time to get my fix. Do you have a moving date yet? (We land on Irish turf 1st July.)

Or thanks to Ryanair et al, you could go to the Pyrenees, the Alps, Scandinavia, Poland, back to Switzerland.... all for the same price as going to Scotland (cheap flights to Europe is one of the things I will definitely miss about leaving this place!)

Good luck with the move .. at this rate we may cross mid-Atlantic - I'll wave out the window!

Snowqueen
Old Apr 30th 2006, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowqueen
Or thanks to Ryanair et al, you could go to the Pyrenees, the Alps, Scandinavia, Poland, back to Switzerland.... all for the same price as going to Scotland (cheap flights to Europe is one of the things I will definitely miss about leaving this place!)

Good luck with the move .. at this rate we may cross mid-Atlantic - I'll wave out the window!

Snowqueen
Hi there - my husband keeps giving me very strange looks when I say I'll miss the snow - having spent 6 months in the stuff this Winter he thinks I'm mad!! (I'd best trade in my snowboots for wellies and macintoshes instead!) Good luck with your move too - it'll be great to keep in touch to see how it all goes!