British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   Moving to Ireland from Oz VRT (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/moving-ireland-oz-vrt-600253/)

dor34 Mar 27th 2009 1:49 pm

Moving to Ireland from Oz VRT

Hi,

I hope someone here can help. We are moving back to Ireland after living here in Perth for 8 months. I am really confused about VRT. I have done a search and as far as I can tell once our car has been registered in our name here for more than 6 months we do not have to pay VRT. However, according to the moving company we are using to ship our stuff back to Ireland we will have to pay it as we haven't lived outside Ireland for 12 months. Does anyone here have any experience with taking their car to Ireland from Australia? I have read some threads on people taking cars from UK to Ireland and not having to pay VRT when they own the car for more than 6 months but maybe it's different when moving back from a non EU country. Thanks.

Dor

dor34 Mar 27th 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Moving to Ireland from Oz VRT

Just got off the phone from a lady in the tax office in Cavan, been trying to get through to various numbers in Dublin for the past 3 hours! Anyway she confirmed that we do indeed have pay VRT as we have not lived outside Ireland for more than 12 months. If we had been moving back from an EU country we would have been exempt. Ah well, another expense to add to a very expensive mistake!

Dor

Horus Mar 27th 2009 7:35 pm

That's bad news! Still typical for the way they try to rip yu off for everything here now.

I heard on the radio today that they're now going to have check points to stop cars with none Irish plates on them to see if they're avoiding VRT. There was a car dealer on moaning about all the lost revenue that he has - the answers simple - scrap it or make it a hell of a lot cheaper. Same with stamp duty.:curse:

Anyway end of rant, sorry.;)

So what was wrong with Oz?:(

dor34 Mar 28th 2009 10:26 am

Hi,

It is typical of the way they rip you off there but they do it just as much here if not more! I thought the cost of living in Ireland was high but it's ridiculously high here for a much poorer standard, eg. the price of groceries here is outrageous and the standard of fruit and veg etc. is atrocious! Oz is just never going to be home for us and we also moved here with a 15 year old daughter who cannot settle at all. It's taken coming here to really appreciate what we had in Ireland. We are heading back at the end of April and we just can't wait to be home. Take care.

Dor

Londonuck Mar 29th 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Horus (Post 7426584)
That's bad news! Still typical for the way they try to rip yu off for everything here now.

I heard on the radio today that they're now going to have check points to stop cars with none Irish plates on them to see if they're avoiding VRT. There was a car dealer on moaning about all the lost revenue that he has - the answers simple - scrap it or make it a hell of a lot cheaper. Same with stamp duty.:curse:

Anyway end of rant, sorry.;)

So what was wrong with Oz?:(

Couldnt get over the amount of northern plates parked outside houses in Donegal last weekend. I wonder how they're getting around it.

chrisdnurse Apr 22nd 2009 10:37 am

An address in the north is a handy thing...;)

Dont do it...stay in Oz!!!

Davy Apr 22nd 2009 10:46 pm

Hi don't know if it's any help but we brought a car back from Oz to N.Ireland about 2 yrs ago. Because the car was under 12 months old we thought we were going to have to pay U.K. duty on it. It was a replacement car as our other one got wrote off by a drunk driver and the insurance company basically shafted us. Any way the customs guy said look the duty is really only for people importing more than 1 vehicle and we didn't have to pay. We had to sign a document to say we would keep the car for 12 months though.Saved us about £2300.
It might be easier to import to the north, get it registered and then change it over.
If you are bringing it back make sure you get a certificate of compliance from the manufacturer before you leave. This basically says the car can be used in europe as well as Oz. We didn't and it was a nightmare to get when we here. [U.K.]. It basically mean't the car had to sit at my door for 3 months waiting on the cert.
Hope it goes well for you anyway Davy.:thumbsup:

Baby75 Apr 29th 2009 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by dor34 (Post 7428270)
Hi,

It is typical of the way they rip you off there but they do it just as much here if not more!I agree I coundnt get over that! I thought the cost of living in Ireland was high but it's ridiculously high here for a much poorer standard, eg. the price of groceries here is outrageous and the standard of fruit and veg etc. is atrocious! Oz is just never going to be home for us and we also moved here with a 15 year old daughter who cannot settle at all. It's taken coming here to really appreciate what we had in Ireland. We are heading back at the end of April and we just can't wait to be home. Take care.

Dor

I know exactly how you feel I lasted 9 months and If some one told me I couldn't fly home I would have walked. Australia is not the land of milk and honey and I think on less you have loads of money its a struggle to survive. for what its worth I am so happy back in Ireland even with the stupid recession.

If you can sell the car you will get a surprise when you see what cars are going for now here we bought a a 1995 landrover discovery for 900 euro cars have dropped in price so much we were shocked. also good news tonight the gas and electricity are dropping their prices this week and will be dropping again in October.

wait till you have proper sausages again :thumbup: not that beef crap LOL sorry I just hated them. good luck with the trip home :thumbsup: