Moving to Ireland from Canada

Moving to Ireland from Canada

Old Nov 5th 2019, 1:02 am
DoI
Just Joined

DoI is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Moving to Ireland from Canada

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out as it would seem i'm rubbish at searching on google for what I need to know.

I currently live in Canada and have done for the past 10 years with my family. We are all from the UK and hold both UK and Canadian passports. I am looking at moving to Ireland next summer with my daughter. My brother and his family live in Ireland and i'd like to move reasonably close to them.

So my query is this. I have been out of the UK for 10 years and so I'm not currently a resident. Does this stop me from moving directly to Ireland? Would I need to move to the UK first and become a resident again and then move to Ireland? I'm not sure if i'm overthinking this but I don't want to think I can just up sticks and move there, buy a house etc and find out that's not possible.

Hope someone can help me out!
Old Nov 5th 2019, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ireland from Canada

Originally Posted by DoI View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out as it would seem i'm rubbish at searching on google for what I need to know.

I currently live in Canada and have done for the past 10 years with my family. We are all from the UK and hold both UK and Canadian passports. I am looking at moving to Ireland next summer with my daughter. My brother and his family live in Ireland and i'd like to move reasonably close to them.

So my query is this. I have been out of the UK for 10 years and so I'm not currently a resident. Does this stop me from moving directly to Ireland? Would I need to move to the UK first and become a resident again and then move to Ireland? I'm not sure if i'm overthinking this but I don't want to think I can just up sticks and move there, buy a house etc and find out that's not possible.

Hope someone can help me out!
People who are citizens of the United Kingdom (UK) are entitled to live in Ireland without any conditions or restrictions. Unlike the citizens of other countries, they are not subject to the Aliens Act 1935 or to any orders made under it. This means that a UK citizen does not need a visa, any form of residence permit or employment permit in Ireland. They are entitled to move to Ireland from any country and they may move to Ireland to work or to retire. Unlike other EU citizens, UK citizens may retire to Ireland without having to establish that they have sufficient resources or that they have private health insurance.

In general, while living in Ireland, UK citizens are entitled to avail of public services on the same basis as Irish citizens living in Ireland. They are entitled to vote in Irish elections with the exception of Presidential elections and referendums.

The right of UK citizens to live in Ireland derives from Irish law. UK citizens also have rights under the EU freedom of movement legislation. These rules do not expand the rights of UK citizens themselves (since their rights are more extensive than those of other EU citizens) but they may be relevant for the family members of UK citizens living in Ireland. Family members of UK citizens who are not themselves EU citizens may be able to move to Ireland to live with them.

UK citizens do not need a passport when travelling to Ireland from within the Common Travel Area. However they can be asked for photo identification and proof that they are a UK citizen. They do need a passport if travelling from outside the Common Travel Area.

The UK government has a short guide for UK citizens living in Ireland and travelling to Ireland.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 3:08 pm
DoI
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your reply and the attached information. All looks like i'll be fine to go and i'll just register as a resident when there for tax purposes.

Thanks again
Old Nov 8th 2019, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting for me to read, about your cultural differences you're experiencing after your move from Canada to Ireland. Things about the country that might surprise you, what's better than Canada, what's worse, etc...
Old Nov 10th 2019, 3:49 am
DoI
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OrangeMango View Post
It would be interesting for me to read, about your cultural differences you're experiencing after your move from Canada to Ireland. Things about the country that might surprise you, what's better than Canada, what's worse, etc...
Once I get there i'll let you know. I was looking at returning to England but with house prices as they are I would have to live pretty far away from family and friends in areas i'm not particularly keen on living in. My brother and his family live in Ireland and I have visited them many times and always enjoyed my stay. Seems to make sense to go there where I can easily afford a house in the country which is what i'm wanting. With flights to England so cheap it would be easy to go back and forth to visit and if I find Ireland is not for me down the line I would look at a move to England. I've had my time in Canada and feel it's time to up sticks and head somewhat home.