Reload this Page >

Moving to Ireland - Advice!

Moving to Ireland - Advice!

Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Vickylou88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Ireland - Advice!

Hi Everyone,

I have just sold my house in England and am now looking to move to Tipperary to be with family.

I am after lots of advice!

From what I have researched the process of buying property in Ireland is similar to the UK - am I right?

What are your most valuable bits of advice?

I work in IT currently and have a background of admin/ customer service work - am I likely to find work be it permanent or temporary?

I know the move will not be easy but with the help and support from family I'm sure things will work out.

Any help or advice will be greatly received.

Thanks,
Vicky
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

London Irish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Ireland - Advice!

The main difference in house buying, is that in Ireland one must first place a deposit with an auctioneer (estate agent); typically 10%, in order to place an offer on a house. In the UK one can place an offer, with a deposit. This is to cull out the time wasters and messers here that put in offers on property and don't follow through.
Tipperary house prices are favourable. The downside is that there is no work there. My source for this is a Tipperary man I lived with, 27 years old, IT degree; and ended up loving to Dublin for work after 2 years on the dole in Tipperary. Jobbridge schemes have killed off any paid IT/customer service/admin jobs here.
Realistically you will be looking at working in Dublin, or dole in Tipperary.
My advice is to rent in an area you fancy before buying, then you can be sure its for you long term, before a job comes up and you end up moving for work.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Vickylou88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks London Irish, having the deposit won't be an issue. With work I was hoping to pick something up in Limerick I drive so it should be easy enough to commute to. Currently I'm commuting to and from London which takes up 4 hours of my day!! I think for me the most important thing about moving to Ireland is that I will be close to my family again - they moved 2 years ago now.

Thanks!
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

London Irish is an unknown quantity at this point

Limerick would be a better option for work.
Its good you have family support, that makes all the difference when emigrating.
I wish you the best of luck with the move.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Werddon is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a PPS number, you can apply for it now. You will need it for everything including buying a house. Equivalent to Nat Ins number in the UK.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Jimmyw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm thinking of moving to tipperary, ide like to know what the social life is like as I'm 23 and won't really know anyone there.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Zelda247 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bear in mind Ireland's 3rd world health service before you move.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

RoI health service is a bit like UK before the NHS - or the UK that certain politicians want us to return to !
Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zelda247
Bear in mind Ireland's 3rd world health service before you move.
Well that's a bit harsh, especially if you've ever lived in a 3rd world country and experienced the conditions. You get what you pay for, so if people are unhappy with service, just get a health plan and pay a bit more. A good GP can also make a huge difference incl. the area you live. Even in the UK, the system is not working and most employed people now pay for private healthcare.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Irish
The main difference in house buying, is that in Ireland one must first place a deposit with an auctioneer (estate agent); typically 10%, in order to place an offer on a house. In the UK one can place an offer, with a deposit. This is to cull out the time wasters and messers here that put in offers on property and don't follow through.Tipperary house prices are favourable. The downside is that there is no work there. My source for this is a Tipperary man I lived with, 27 years old, IT degree; and ended up loving to Dublin for work after 2 years on the dole in Tipperary. Jobbridge schemes have killed off any paid IT/customer service/admin jobs here.Realistically you will be looking at working in Dublin, or dole in Tipperary.My advice is to rent in an area you fancy before buying, then you can be sure its for you long term, before a job comes up and you end up moving for work.
Have to agree. When it comes to employment, you should look at other areas (especially for IT). Like in any rural area, there are jobs, but pay will be the issue. Housing is cheap in Tipperary and it can work for someone who has the mortgage paid off and doesn't mind doing any kind of job (shop assistant, warehouse etc.). Again, it's lifestyle choice and we're all different. If you're looking for job opportunities and want to live rural, Galway might be an option. You might also want to consider Co. Cork to find the balance between work and family.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well that's a bit harsh, especially if you've ever lived in a 3rd world country and experienced the conditions. You get what you pay for, so if people are unhappy with service, just get a health plan and pay a bit more. A good GP can also make a huge difference incl. the area you live. Even in the UK, the system is not working and most employed people now pay for private healthcare.
I am sorry but I disagree the majority of pensioners are living hand to mouth and cannot afford to get a health plan. The Health Service or lack of it in Southern Ireland is a total disgrace and I hoping people will consider this before they leave the UK.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am sorry but I disagree the majority of pensioners are living hand to mouth and cannot afford to get a health plan. The Health Service or lack of it in Southern Ireland is a total disgrace and I hoping people will consider this before they leave the UK.
Not really and no different elsewhere. Pensioners in Germany have even less money and most don't own a home, so overall pensioners don't have it that bad here, especially compared to other countries. Pensioners are entitled to a lot of free things and it's all stated here:Entitlement to health servicesThe biggest problem here is the management of things and the system in general. In the UK, health care is taken directly out of your salary, so you don't realise you are paying for it, but even in the UK the amount is not enough to fund the system. You also can't compare a rural country like Ireland to the UK, just like you can't compare the hospital in St Helier Jersey to the one in Southampton.

When Brits go to the US, the first thing they look at is private health insurance, so why don't people do it here?Private health insurance here is far cheaper than what people are paying in other countries. We all want best services, no waiting times, staff want high wages, so what's the solution?
Old Jan 27th 2016, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Not really and no different elsewhere. Pensioners in Germany have even less money and most don't own a home, so overall pensioners don't have it that bad here, especially compared to other countries. Pensioners are entitled to a lot of free things and it's all stated here:Entitlement to health servicesThe biggest problem here is the management of things and the system in general. In the UK, health care is taken directly out of your salary, so you don't realise you are paying for it, but even in the UK the amount is not enough to fund the system. You also can't compare a rural country like Ireland to the UK, just like you can't compare the hospital in St Helier Jersey to the one in Southampton.

When Brits go to the US, the first thing they look at is private health insurance, so why don't people do it here?Private health insurance here is far cheaper than what people are paying in other countries. We all want best services, no waiting times, staff want high wages, so what's the solution?
Again its fine if you can afford Health Insurance, we can hardly afford our utility bills.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 11:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Can you back that ridiculous comment upm with figures?..
Old Jan 27th 2016, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Again its fine if you can afford Health Insurance, we can hardly afford our utility bills.
I'm sorry to hear your situation, but all the information is there to read and it's been posted here a thousand times. Medical cards
If you aren't happy with the service in the Republic and think you can't afford it, why don't you go to the North, or just book an appointment in England?

If you've paid into the UK system, then there should be no problem and I'm sure you have the EHIC.You also say that your partner is a heavy smoker, so with a packet of cigarettes costing €10, I'm sure some extra money can be found.I pay around €35 for health insurance through work, but the normal rate is around €80 and nearly everything is covered., so I don't find this unaffordable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.