Moving to Ireland

Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

molly1664 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Ireland

As try as we might we are struggling to fund our move to Ireland, have found a couple of properties for around 50,000 euros but just can't raise that much without a mortgage. Can't get a mortgage as UK banks are refusing to lend on Irish properties and Irish banks will only lend on properties over 90.000 euros.

Any idea's how much we could offer without causing offence as cash buyers?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:26 am
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Ireland

Originally Posted by molly1664 View Post
As try as we might we are struggling to fund our move to Ireland, have found a couple of properties for around 50,000 euros but just can't raise that much without a mortgage. Can't get a mortgage as UK banks are refusing to lend on Irish properties and Irish banks will only lend on properties over 90.000 euros.

Any idea's how much we could offer without causing offence as cash buyers?
How much cash have you got would be the first question? Second, how much is asking price of property you want to buy?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Swim4good is an unknown quantity at this point

Sick n Tired I have the same question. Am house-hunting in Co Kerry/Co Cork at the end of this month with a cash budget of around 110,000 euros. Do you think it is realistic to be looking at houses up to around 140,000 with a view to making offers or not? Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

nolanger is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to an auction.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swim4good View Post
Sick n Tired I have the same question. Am house-hunting in Co Kerry/Co Cork at the end of this month with a cash budget of around 110,000 euros. Do you think it is realistic to be looking at houses up to around 140,000 with a view to making offers or not? Thanks in advance!
It depends how much interest in the property if any. Try an offer of 95k and see if they come back with another figure. They may dismiss it out of hand. If so go another 5k. Then go up up in 3k's and 2k's they might think you're coming to your budget limit. With a bit of luck you might get it for €110k.

Let us know how you get on, and don't forget cash is king, and be prepared to walk away, there's plenty of properties around.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Swim4good is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sickntired View Post
It depends how much interest in the property if any. Try an offer of 95k and see if they come back with another figure. They may dismiss it out of hand. If so go another 5k. Then go up up in 3k's and 2k's they might think you're coming to your budget limit. With a bit of luck you might get it for €110k.

Let us know how you get on, and don't forget cash is king, and be prepared to walk away, there's plenty of properties around.
Thanks Sick n Tired. Your post puts things in to perspective for me. I hadn't realised that we could start so low. I certainly don't want to offend people but at the same time, like you say, we can work our way upwards. My husband is somebody that can walk away if necessary luckily as I tend to get more emotionally attached to properties . So it's definitely worth looking at properties a good 30,000 or so over our budget then.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

taragreen is an unknown quantity at this point

we bought our property oct 2012, for 99,000. Had been on market for two years, started at 185,000. Was on at 125,000 when I viewed in July 2012 - we offerred 99 in sptember once our uk house was sold and was accepted straight away. you're in a good position with 110k to go.