Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving home with US Spouse?

Moving home with US Spouse?

Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving home with US Spouse?

I've been doing a lot of research on this, and even spoke to a few people that did this exact thing, but I want to be 110% certain I have this right, I hold an Irish passport now (UK born to Irish parents), and I currently live in the US and am married to an American citizen.

From what I've heard from other peoples experiences, getting my US Spouse to Ireland is fairly simple, I inform the border agent at the airport of our intentions and then I must attend the local GardaĆ­ HQ and present them with our marriage cert, birth certs etc. and then receive Stamp4, and it usually takes 3-4 weeks for the residency card?

Does that sound correct? I had a friend that was complaining that his US Husband's residency card took 3 weeks to come in the mail, which to me, compared to US immigration 3 weeks would be more than ideal
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:34 pm
Banned

EndaKenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving home with US Spouse?

Interesting how many people worry and over-think this.
A good friend of mine; Irish man with American wife did it.
Its a case of getting on a plane, coming here and saying SFA.
Getting a stamp 4 visa isn't like getting a green card; its much easier.
Visit your local Garda station, then apply; job done.
In the meantime relax and don't waste any time worrying or over-thinking about it.
Take up smoking weed and drinking too much. You will blend right in.
Maybe learn Polish if you want to get a job.
Always remember Ireland is only 4.7 million people. Immigration is nothing like America as a result. Although inefficient like all government departments here; its quick enough for the demand.
My friend waited a month for his wife to get her residency; and that is fairly typical.
Slower in the summer and Christmas due to more staff being on holiday. Quicker at other times.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EndaKenny
In the meantime relax and don't waste any time worrying or over-thinking about it.
Always remember Ireland is only 4.7 million people. Immigration is nothing like America as a result. Although inefficient like all government departments here; its quick enough for the demand.
My friend waited a month for his wife to get her residency; and that is fairly typical.
Slower in the summer and Christmas due to more staff being on holiday. Quicker at other times.

We all know you have a problem with certain nationalities, but you don't have to mention it every time
Old Oct 10th 2016, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Natonstan
I currently live in the US and am married to an American citizen.
Before moving back to Ireland with the spouse, would the OP considers to apply for US citizenship? This would acts as an insurance policy just in case things don't work out for the OP and the spouse in Ireland.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 6:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HKG3
Before moving back to Ireland with the spouse, would the OP considers to apply for US citizenship? This would acts as an insurance policy just in case things don't work out for the OP and the spouse in Ireland.
With the option of Trump or Clinton as ones president I don't blame them for wanting to emigrate. Who would want to go back to that?
Sure why wouldn't things work out for them here? Enda Kenny reckons the recession is over and we are booming again. He wouldn't be lying to us all now would he?
Everyone knows we love American culture here; sure didn't they give us Kardashian, Beiber, skinny jeans for men, etc. Great bunch of lads the Americans, they always celebrate Patty's Day with some green beer and corned beef; just like we do.
I even heard Kardashian on the radio talking about the bladder ring she bought here on her honeymoon; the silly presenter tried to tell her it was a Claddagh ring not bladder.
Personally I love talking to the American tourists here; and hearing about how they are Irish too; as their great-great-grandmother owned an Irish wolf hound etc. Its harsh to call them plastic paddies when they have no connection to our country what so ever isn't it?
Anyway, what could possible go wrong for them? OK, he might not get a job; and neither will be entitled to dole; but that will make it all the more challenging and exciting for them both.
Emigration to Ireland is such fun.

Last edited by EndaKenny; Oct 10th 2016 at 6:25 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

With the option of Trump or Clinton as ones president I don't blame them for wanting to emigrate. Who would want to go back to that?
Sure why wouldn't things work out for them here? Enda Kenny reckons the recession is over and we are booming again. He wouldn't be lying to us all now would he?
Everyone knows we love American culture here; sure didn't they give us Kardashian, Beiber, skinny jeans for men, etc. Great bunch of lads the Americans, they always celebrate Patty's Day with some green beer and corned beef; just like we do.
I even heard Kardashian on the radio talking about the bladder ring she bought here on her honeymoon; the silly presenter tried to tell her it was a Claddagh ring not bladder.
Personally I love talking to the American tourists here; and hearing about how they are Irish too; as their great-great-grandmother owned an Irish wolf hound etc. Its harsh to call them plastic paddies when they have no connection to our country what so ever isn't it?
Anyway, what could possible go wrong for them? OK, he might not get a job; and neither will be entitled to dole; but that will make it all the more challenging and exciting for them both.
Emigration to Ireland is such fun.

Bieber's Canadian ... just saying'
Old Oct 15th 2016, 6:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TrishP
Bieber's Canadian ... just saying'
I am pleased to say, I didn't know that; as I have no interest in him whatsoever. Each to their own though. Happy listening.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Happy listening.
Didn't say I was a fan
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Can a UK citizen move to Ireland with non EU wife, and then apply for residency for wife after arrival ?
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by morpeth
Can a UK citizen move to Ireland with non EU wife, and then apply for residency for wife after arrival ?
That would work, being an Irish citizen has nothing to do with this, this is based on EU residency and the UK is still part of the EU
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryStampeder
That would work, being an Irish citizen has nothing to do with this, this is based on EU residency and the UK is still part of the EU
I was wondering mainly fro standpoint of a non-EU spouse, whether residency visa could be applied for after arrival, or would it need to be done before arrival.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by morpeth
I was wondering mainly fro standpoint of a non-EU spouse, whether residency visa could be applied for after arrival, or would it need to be done before arrival.
You'd be following the same steps as me, mentioned above, you need to go fly to Ireland, tell the border control gardai you are moving with your non EU spouse, you will then need to report to your local Gardai (Police) station within 90 days for your stamp. Make sure you have your marriage cert and passport in order.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CalgaryStampeder
You'd be following the same steps as me, mentioned above, you need to go fly to Ireland, tell the border control gardai you are moving with your non EU spouse, you will then need to report to your local Gardai (Police) station within 90 days for your stamp. Make sure you have your marriage cert and passport in order.
Thanks. We were thinking of moving to UK, but that seems an easier option especially when considering being able to have firm timetable for school for the children.