Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving home to Ireland with Scottish wife

Moving home to Ireland with Scottish wife

Old Aug 3rd 2022, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

liamnolan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving home to Ireland with Scottish wife

Hi all, apologies if this topic has already been "done to death". I was a contributor on here, asking more or less the same questions, around 6 years ago. Time has passed and so here I am in Norwich UK, selling up and looking at moving to (probably) Wexford with my wife Linda.
We are not spring chickens anymore, I have a business that I can either sell or manage from Ireland from the laptop.
Houses - there choice of excellent properties around Wexford is excellent. I am leaning towards not too far from Rosslare as I may still need to use the ferry a fair bit and the coast is attractive anyway. Anyone had problems buying their property? Different rules from the UK? Anything to watch out for?
I am over in Ireland with business in September and will add a few days on to check out some properties and hopefully make a shortlist.
Healthcare - Linda is Scottish, I am from Dublin. I understand there may be situations where Linda can obtain a Medical Card and/or GO Visits Card? I am reading through the official content within "Citizens Information" but has anyone had any actual experiences of getting cover for their non-Irish spouse? We are aged 73 (me) and 69. Linda has a few minor memory problems, but manageable.
Bank accounts - I presume best to close down the HSBC and Barclays accounts and switch to an Irish bank? Any problems with getting pensions paid into an Irish bank?
Car/motorcycle - Can I use them with UK tax and insurance (adjusted) until its renewal time?
Legal stuff - I presume its best to use a local solicitor that knows the area.

Finally - Overall, do those who have moved back still think it was worth it? I know the cost of living is higher for example.
Thanks, sorry to ask so many questions, Liam

Old Aug 4th 2022, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving home to Ireland with Scottish wife

Originally Posted by liamnolan
Hi all, apologies if this topic has already been "done to death". I was a contributor on here, asking more or less the same questions, around 6 years ago. Time has passed and so here I am in Norwich UK, selling up and looking at moving to (probably) Wexford with my wife Linda.
We are not spring chickens anymore, I have a business that I can either sell or manage from Ireland from the laptop.
Houses - there choice of excellent properties around Wexford is excellent. I am leaning towards not too far from Rosslare as I may still need to use the ferry a fair bit and the coast is attractive anyway. Anyone had problems buying their property? Different rules from the UK? Anything to watch out for?
I am over in Ireland with business in September and will add a few days on to check out some properties and hopefully make a shortlist.
Healthcare - Linda is Scottish, I am from Dublin. I understand there may be situations where Linda can obtain a Medical Card and/or GO Visits Card? I am reading through the official content within "Citizens Information" but has anyone had any actual experiences of getting cover for their non-Irish spouse? We are aged 73 (me) and 69. Linda has a few minor memory problems, but manageable.
Bank accounts - I presume best to close down the HSBC and Barclays accounts and switch to an Irish bank? Any problems with getting pensions paid into an Irish bank?
Car/motorcycle - Can I use them with UK tax and insurance (adjusted) until its renewal time?
Legal stuff - I presume its best to use a local solicitor that knows the area.

Finally - Overall, do those who have moved back still think it was worth it? I know the cost of living is higher for example.
Thanks, sorry to ask so many questions, Liam
There aren't too many on here who are still active these days. Although I'm in the West, Co. Wexford seems like a good choice and still cheaper than anything above Gorey as you are still a good bit away from Dublin. Having the ferry on your doorstep is something I wish we had and always a 2 hr 30 drive minimum for us. When we came over 10 years ago property was obviously a lot cheaper and we never found it to be more expensive than the UK (Kent). Obviously you have less choice when it comes to certain things and those who buy British processed food will find it more expensive, but if you stick to local and look at the special offers your bills can be the same. Insurance is another tricky one and you will obviously need to register your car here and pay the local road tax once you have the new number plate. Be aware that a lot of insurance companies try to rip people off so have everything prepared (No claims bonus from UK and you will need to exchange your licence for an Irish one). Having an Irish licence will also get you cheaper quotes and tell them that you will buy Home insurance if they give you a good price. I remember receiving quotes between €300 and €1500 and prices changed from day to day.
Citizens Infortmation is probably the best way to go through everything and don't have experience with medical cards, you will find info here: https://www2.hse.ie/services/schemes...pplying/apply/
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...o_ireland.html

Unfortunately Brexit has made a few things more complicated when it comes to Cross Border Health, but luckily it is still accessible in other countries.
https://www.hse.ie/brexit/cross-bord...atment-abroad/You can continue to access healthcare in other EU and European Economic Area (EEA) states and Switzerland under the Cross Border Directive (CBD) scheme.

To access the scheme you must:
  • be ‘ordinarily resident’ in Ireland (living here and intend to live here for at least one year)
  • not getting a state benefit from another EU and EEA state
Under the scheme, you must pay upfront for any healthcare that you get. You can then apply to the HSE for reimbursement towards the cost of the healthcare.

Read more about the Cross Border Directive (CBD) scheme

UK and Northern Ireland

You can no longer use the CBD to access healthcare in the UK.

But if you have started your healthcare in the UK and began to receive that healthcare before 2021, you may still be able to apply for reimbursement under the HSE Cross Border Directive.