Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Moving to dublin permanently -advice

Moving to dublin permanently -advice

Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:57 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to dublin permanently -advice

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
We lived in Greystones back in 2006 - lovely, lovely town (my father and grandfather were from there). I loved the village atmosphere and having the beach on our doorstep. It was also nice to have the DART there for getting to Dublin, even if it's a bit on the slow side.
Same here from 08-10. Loved Gstones.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

StephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really nice

Don't like to hijack OPs thread, but yeah, Greystones is a wonderful place. Great for families, easy commute, good shops and services, and best of all friendly. Now if they'd just fix that damn harbour. It really is an eyesore.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by StephenDR
Don't like to hijack OPs thread, but yeah, Greystones is a wonderful place. Great for families, easy commute, good shops and services, and best of all friendly. Now if they'd just fix that damn harbour. It really is an eyesore.
Didn't they run out of money before it got finished? It's a shame - the old harbour was such a nice place to be, and, the last time I was there, it was just a big building site.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:39 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't they run out of money before it got finished? It's a shame - the old harbour was such a nice place to be, and, the last time I was there, it was just a big building site.
They've removed the eyesore hoardings that ran around the building site. Its not patch on what was there before. The Beach House on a Saturday afternoon, Dans in the evening. Best curry on the east coast at the Spice of Life and so much more. Even driving my cab taking all the pissed up locals didnt ruin my liking of the place.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Londonuck
They've removed the eyesore hoardings that ran around the building site. Its not patch on what was there before. The Beach House on a Saturday afternoon, Dans in the evening. Best curry on the east coast at the Spice of Life and so much more. Even driving my cab taking all the pissed up locals didnt ruin my liking of the place.
We were always quite fond of Bochelli's - great pizza and pasta, and not bad steak either. Great chippy on Church St there over the road from the station too - I miss their garlic sauce. And, yep, Spice Of Life is fantastic. There was also that place up the road in Bray that was an Italian/Chinese/Indian fusion restaurant - you could have onion bhajis to start, a pizza for your main course and a side order of beef chow mein! And watching the Six Nations on a Saturday afternoon in the Burnaby was bliss.

We lived in Charlesland which was lovely, however, around the time we moved away, apparently the local knacker kids had started trying their hand at burglary. Apparently it hasn't persisted though.

We'd move back there in a heartbeat if a really compelling job opportunity was to arise.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:14 am
Éireann go Brách

We were always quite fond of Bochelli's - great pizza and pasta, and not bad steak either. Great chippy on Church St there over the road from the station too - I miss their garlic sauce. And, yep, Spice Of Life is fantastic. There was also that place up the road in Bray that was an Italian/Chinese/Indian fusion restaurant - you could have onion bhajis to start, a pizza for your main course and a side order of beef chow mein! And watching the Six Nations on a Saturday afternoon in the Burnaby was bliss.

We lived in Charlesland which was lovely, however, around the time we moved away, apparently the local knacker kids had started trying their hand at burglary. Apparently it hasn't persisted though.

We'd move back there in a heartbeat if a really compelling job opportunity was to arise.

So did we. Up in Charlesland Park. There seemed to be the odd bit of trouble according to the charlesland site online but we never saw anything up in the NW corner as you looked up the green. Favourite pub was the Harbour Bar in Bray.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

So did we. Up in Charlesland Park. There seemed to be the odd bit of trouble according to the charlesland site online but we never saw anything up in the NW corner as you looked up the green. Favourite pub was the Harbour Bar in Bray.
hey mate, was that the bar with all the funny things hanging from the ceiling? i think the starship enterprise was one of them? cos if it is,my brother took me there when he still lived in Bray afore his move to Wexford?
good to see the old site is still drawing posters. rainin' over here so am boooored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:53 pm
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
hey mate, was that the bar with all the funny things hanging from the ceiling? i think the starship enterprise was one of them? cos if it is,my brother took me there when he still lived in Bray afore his move to Wexford?
good to see the old site is still drawing posters. rainin' over here so am boooored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It might be. Its down to the far left as you look at the sea tucked around the corner. They have people come in with instruments and play at the weekends and a live band in the other bar.

Harbour Bar

Im sure the happy brigade will be back soon

Actually sunny on the west coast of BC today.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

It might be. Its down to the far left as you look at the sea tucked around the corner. They have people come in with instruments and play at the weekends and a live band in the other bar.

Harbour Bar

Im sure the happy brigade will be back soon

Actually sunny on the west coast of BC today.
damn and thrice damn weather-wise!!!! the bar i was taken to was about 20 paces from the sea, walk out the door and down a sloping jetty and there you were!! it was filled with bearded,long-haired,aran-sweatered,brogue-wearing,irish-speaking eccentrics and my brother fitted in so well...there was a huge brown leather easy chair near the door and an old fella was asleep in it when we walked in, some of the regulars lifted him out(without waking him up)for the wife to sit down..... a lovely old place.
did you ever go to the harbour bar in dun laoghaire? that was me dad's local and it was a right rough-house. recognise the places in g'stones you are on about,,,,my mate still lives down mountain view drive in bray!! bet you know that place too..
still raining,telly on the blink,brandy half empty,hie me away to sunny ireland i say.....
Old Apr 14th 2012, 5:24 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
damn and thrice damn weather-wise!!!! the bar i was taken to was about 20 paces from the sea, walk out the door and down a sloping jetty and there you were!! it was filled with bearded,long-haired,aran-sweatered,brogue-wearing,irish-speaking eccentrics and my brother fitted in so well...there was a huge brown leather easy chair near the door and an old fella was asleep in it when we walked in, some of the regulars lifted him out(without waking him up)for the wife to sit down..... a lovely old place.
did you ever go to the harbour bar in dun laoghaire? that was me dad's local and it was a right rough-house. recognise the places in g'stones you are on about,,,,my mate still lives down mountain view drive in bray!! bet you know that place too..
still raining,telly on the blink,brandy half empty,hie me away to sunny ireland i say.....
Sounds like the very same pub.

Never been to the one in DL.

Did several drops off the Bog Rd to Mountainview. Always loved those runs from Gstones. Quite quick and worth a few bob enall. Then the race track that was Windgates in the complete dark was always fun back to the rank at the Burnaby pub. Good days. Now, im marshalling in planes at Vancouver International Airport. One minute you're a graphic designer, next a licensed taxi driver and then bringing planes to park and then to take off. Life is weird.

The Brandy is half full mate.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Never been to the one in DL.

Did several drops off the Bog Rd to Mountainview. Always loved those runs from Gstones. Quite quick and worth a few bob enall. Then the race track that was Windgates in the complete dark was always fun back to the rank at the Burnaby pub. Good days. Now, im marshalling in planes at Vancouver International Airport. One minute you're a graphic designer, next a licensed taxi driver and then bringing planes to park and then to take off. Life is weird.

likes the optimism mate. good luck in vc...marshalling aircraft eh? what a small world it really is, you off to vc after being in g'stones,practically next door to my sis,maybe even ran into my mate noel in mountain view drive. the glass is certainly full for you and long may it continue.
quick question....where would you rather be,,in vc or g'stones? what a contrast? you know my feeling,lovely though it is up here in the mountains,i am looking forward to moving back to the auld sod. homesickness kicks in now and then but the brandy helps!!!!!!!
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

StephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really niceStephenDR is just really nice

Now, im marshalling in planes at Vancouver International Airport. One minute you're a graphic designer, next a licensed taxi driver and then bringing planes to park and then to take off. Life is weird.

Yep, life is funny. I was a geologist in the Northwest Territories for many years, and now I live in Greystones!
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:34 pm
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by StephenDR
Yep, life is funny. I was a geologist in the Northwest Territories for many years, and now I live in Greystones!
...working in the Happy Pear?