Moving abroad

Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

neelofurkhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving abroad

Just a bit of information needed please.

I'm currently pregnant and planning to travel to Ireland for the birth and to live, I wanted to know once in the republic of Ireland would I be able to claim housing benefits as I do in the UK and would I be able to claim benefits for myself as I do within the UK?
I know in northern Ireland the benefit system is very similliar to the UK but I am unsure of the Republic of Ireland.
I was told that I would have to pay to have my baby in a hospital and that the price was very high.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 9:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving abroad

You haven't paid taxes, or otherwise contributed to the Irish economy. Why do you think it is acceptable to expect the Irish government/people to pay for your birth/baby, not to mention subsidize your housing and contribute to your living expenses?
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 9:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neelofurkhan

I'm currently pregnant and planning to travel to Ireland for the birth and to live, I wanted to know once in the republic of Ireland would I be able to claim housing benefits as I do in the UK and would I be able to claim benefits for myself as I do within the UK?
I know in northern Ireland the benefit system is very similliar to the UK but I am unsure of the Republic of Ireland.
I was told that I would have to pay to have my baby in a hospital and that the price was very high.
The Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, it is a separate country with a different currency and different laws and rules, so you would be very unlikely to get any benefits or health cover, my suggestion is to stay in the UK until after the birth then consider moving.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

To be fair I wasb more asking if I could still claim my British benefits in the Roi.
As I said were I to be in NI I would be able to, does the samebapply for the Roi..

So in retrospect the Irish people wouldn't be paying for my birth..
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 9:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair I wasb more asking if I could still claim my British benefits in the Roi.
As I said were I to be in NI I would be able to, does the samebapply for the Roi..

So in retrospect the Irish people wouldn't be paying for my birth..
No, once you leave the UK you lose UK benefits, with some exceptions like Disability living allowance.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point

What is your nationality?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It's down to the person dealing with your case and they will check if you are eligible to qualify for social housing. In reality, why would they offer you social housing if there's already a huge waiting list and you've never paid into the system? Regarding health care, this would be the case if you are accepted by the HSE:

The statutory charge for overnight and day in-patient services is €75 per day up to a maximum of €750 in any 12 consecutive months. The charge does not apply to the following groups:
  • Medical card holders
  • People receiving treatment for prescribed infectious diseases
  • People who are subject to "long stay" charges
  • Children up to 6 weeks of age
  • Children with the following diseases and disabilities: "mental handicap, mental illness, phenylketonuria, cystic fibrosis, spina bifida, hydrocephalus, haemophilia and cerebral palsy”
  • Children referred for treatment from child health clinics and school board examinations
  • People who are entitled to hospital services because of EU Regulations
  • Women receiving maternity services
Old Jun 24th 2016, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by inggris
What is your nationality?
I am a British by birth and nationality Inggris.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's down to the person dealing with your case and they will check if you are eligible to qualify for social housing. In reality, why would they offer you social housing if there's already a huge waiting list and you've never paid into the system? Regarding health care, this would be the case if you are accepted by the HSE:

The statutory charge for overnight and day in-patient services is €75 per day up to a maximum of €750 in any 12 consecutive months. The charge does not apply to the following groups:
  • Medical card holders
  • People receiving treatment for prescribed infectious diseases
  • People who are subject to "long stay" charges
  • Children up to 6 weeks of age
  • Children with the following diseases and disabilities: "mental handicap, mental illness, phenylketonuria, cystic fibrosis, spina bifida, hydrocephalus, haemophilia and cerebral palsy”
  • Children referred for treatment from child health clinics and school board examinations
  • People who are entitled to hospital services because of EU Regulations
  • Women receiving maternity services
Would I then not be entitled under the Eu regulations based on the fact that I am a British citizen and national
Old Jun 24th 2016, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Would I then not be entitled under the Eu regulations based on the fact that I am a British citizen and national
Giving birth outside the UK

If you want to give birth in another European Economic Area country or Switzerland, you will need an S2 guarantee form to cover the birth and a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to cover any immediately necessary treatment that arises.
Generally, you should contact NHS England if you plan to have medical treatment in Europe. However, to apply for an S2 covering maternity care, you need to write to the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle and explain why you want care outside the UK. You'll also need to include:
  • a maternity certificate (MATB1) or a letter from your UK GP or midwife that states your expected date of delivery
  • your NHS Number or National Insurance number
  • your date of birth,
  • full UK address
  • dates of travel
Indicate whether you will be returning to the UK after you have given birth and whether you have already left the UK for the other country.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Giving birth outside the UK

If you want to give birth in another European Economic Area country or Switzerland, you will need an S2 guarantee form to cover the birth and a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to cover any immediately necessary treatment that arises.
Generally, you should contact NHS England if you plan to have medical treatment in Europe. However, to apply for an S2 covering maternity care, you need to write to the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle and explain why you want care outside the UK. You'll also need to include:
  • a maternity certificate (MATB1) or a letter from your UK GP or midwife that states your expected date of delivery
  • your NHS Number or National Insurance number
  • your date of birth,
  • full UK address
  • dates of travel
Indicate whether you will be returning to the UK after you have given birth and whether you have already left the UK for the other country.

Thank you Moses, very helpful
Old Jun 25th 2016, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Maternity Benefits in RoI are more generous than in UK. I am not sure of how you establish eligibility as an immigrant to that country. It might be better to go to the Sic Counties of Northern Irelnd.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Buzyizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Maternity Benefits in RoI are more generous than in UK. I am not sure of how you establish eligibility as an immigrant to that country. It might be better to go to the Sic Counties of Northern Irelnd.
All changed now. I'd stay in England for the moment. A few idiots have decided we all have to leave the EU.(((
Old Jun 26th 2016, 7:15 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Buzyizzy
All changed now. I'd stay in England for the moment. A few idiots have decided we all have to leave the EU.(((
No, we are still in the EU, so nothing has changed yet, and won't change for at least a couple of years.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Zelda247 is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like you are just coming to Ireland for the benefits, the Irish Healthcare system is not as good as the NHS you would be better off staying in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.